TYRE FITMENT & PERFORMANCE SURVEY. (Tyre bible Template)

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: TYRE FITMENT & PERFORMANCE SURVEY. (Tyre bible Template)

Postby McLUX on Wed, 30 Jun 2010 11:29 +0000

Thanks Jake/Skog.
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters.
McLUX

Postby earlydays on Sat, 03 Jul 2010 4:03 +0000

VEHICLE. 2005 SR Hilux xtra cab, D4D

BRAND. Bridgestone Desert Dueler 604V

TYRE SIZE. 205R16C

TYPE. M & S

SUSPENSION LIFT. 50mm, King Springs, Bilstein shocks

RIM SIZE. Standard steel 16"

WEAR, PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD Wear is nothing to brag about because of a fair bit of work off the bitumen, but I have had these tyres not only on my Hilux but also on a Ford Courier 4x4 ute for about 10 years and quite frankly for me, it is not about wear but about confidence and reliability particularly off the bitumen...... I wouldn't use anything else.
Very quiet on the highway, good grip in the dry but one has to be careful on wet bitumen. They come into there own on the dirt, gravel and sand. I have done two 6000k Central Australian trips in the last twelve months (with full loads) on my present set including two crossings (one solo) of the Simpson desert. I had one puncture on the Plenty Highway and the vehicle more than held it's own against the so called "best" in the Desert and was better than many. I do not do serious mud if I can avoid it so will not comment on the tyre's ability in this area, but they are ok on wet gravel and dirt. These skinny tyres may not look "cool" or be asthetically pleasing but I have had ample opportunity in the bush and off road to directly compare with many of the so called "big name" 4WD tyres and for me they are the true quiet achievers. I might add that appropriate tyre pressures are critical for successful on road and off road touring.

WEBLINKS.
earlydays

Postby noodle on Wed, 07 Jul 2010 9:24 +0000

VEHICLE. 2007 SR5 Hilux Dual Cab, D4D

BRAND. BF Goodrich M/T KM1

TYRE SIZE. 265/75/16
TYPE. M & S

SUSPENSION LIFT.Ridepro Springs, Bilstein shocks... some lift but not a defined height

RIM SIZE. 90 series prado rims 16x7"

WEAR, PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD These were my first experience with muddies, and I all I can say is bring them back. I did approx 80K on them over 5 years and they still have 10mm of tread left. On road they were noisy to a degree, but not enough to be annoying. They were a godsend in sydney with people hearing me coming and not stepping out in front.

Off road they were nearly impossible to fault. Even a recent trip up into the Brindies with SHANE308 and a few others, with 5 years on them at all the Km's they handled well expect for one spot where there was a bit of ice on the ground, and everyone decided to stop at the same time.
No problems on dirt, in mud, clay surfaces were fine. Never took them out in sand so I cant comment.
I ran about 22-24 psi when playing in the bush and around 37-40 on the road. No complaints, except that they are not made any longer.

In the wet the were a little skitty, but if you drove it like a 4wd and not like a racecar then it was fine :lol:

I have now replaced them with Maxis bighorns.... which have a very similar tread pattern !!
We'll see how they match up.
Al
07 D4D D/Cab Manual

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
noodle

Postby jiggins on Thu, 05 Aug 2010 9:01 +0000

Ok so i"m on my 3rd set of tyres to for the Lux :roll:

Here is the run down...

BRAND. Cooper

TYRE SIZE. 245 75 R16

TYPE. Sure Trac (S/T) Light Truck construction

SUSPENSION LIFT. 2in front only strut spacers

RIM SIZE. 16 x 7 ROH RTX +30 mm offset

WEAR and PERFORMANCE ON + OFF ROAD Only been on for about 5000km so wear is not really evident yet. Onroad performance is good. feel grippy in the wet and no loss of traction to date. Offroad so far is excellent only done a few hundred k's on dirt but they seem to find grip on all surfaces easy.

WEBLINK. http://www.coopertires.com.au/index.php?page=tyres&tyre_id=6
http://www.roh.com.au/4wdsuvseriesrtx.php

PHOTOS. see links above
jiggins

My 2005 Dual Cab Hilux Garden Ornament will move again one day. :shock:

Yep... One Day. :roll:

Update: My 2005 Dual Cab Hilux Garden Ornament is back on the road. :shock:
jiggins
Platinum Subscriber

Postby daveo on Fri, 01 Oct 2010 11:34 +0000

Brand: Dick Cepek/ Mickey Thompson

Size: 31/10.5/15 LT

Type: FC2

Suspension lift: 60mm Bilstein (not required to fit this size)

Rim size: 15/7 SR5 alloys

Wear and performance:
Have had these tyres for a year now and have done 20,000km of touring and off road work (use the std SR tyres for around the town). They have worn 4mm, still have 10mm remaining tread depth. After my recent Cape York trip the tyres did show some chipping, especially on the rear tyres. This may be due to running slightly too high pressures. Have had 1 puncture due to a nail. On road performance is good, not too much road noise, will slide out on wet roads if pushed but not nearly as much as the standard SR tyres. Off road, have found them to be a very good tyre. Sand driving performance is good. I do a lot of beach driving and have had no problems with these tyres. I rarely let my tyres down on the beach unless i get stuck which is rare. Dirt/gravel road grip is very good and predictable. Mud/rocks, havent done any significant ammounts but have been satisfied so far. These tyres have taken me to Tasmania, central QLD and now to Cape York and I have been very happy with them in all conditions. I would get these tyres again but probably in 265/75/16 for the increased load and ply rating and slight increase in OD (109Q and 6 ply vs 123N and 10ply).
daveo

Postby windly on Thu, 14 Oct 2010 10:34 +0000

Just put a set of new rims and tyres the other weeks

VEHICLE. 2006 SR Hilux Dual cab, D4D

TYRE SIZE. 31/10.5R15LT

TYRE BRAND: NEXEN A/T

TYPE. ATR

RIM SIZE. 15 x 7 stock SR5 alloys

WEAR, PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD
Just got it 3 weeks ago, pretty good and feel more confident when going the corner and driving on wet as well. So will update this when my next tyres change.
windly

Postby Viper82 on Mon, 18 Oct 2010 7:05 +0000

BRAND. Toyo Open Country

TYRE SIZE. 245/75/R16

TYPE. All Terrain Light Truck

SUSPENSION LIFT. 2 inch

RIM SIZE. 16inch dynamic 28p sunnies

Done just over 40,000km on them so far. Breaks traction really easy and in the wet I feel like a drift champion untill the front doesn't go where I want it too. In the dry I constantly hear the rear spinning as I turn right at intersections even with light throttle. They are a long lastin tyre as I have 8mm tread left. I been down to robe twice with them and didn't get bogged but did struggle to get up one very soft dune to get off a beach. They seem too strong in the sidewalls to bag out really well. I have driven on abit of mud but not much and I didn't get stuck but once I was in the ruts that was it was no getting out.

Even with ABS I have managed to lock the brakes up in the dry once. I won't be buying them again.
Viper82

TYRE FITMENT & PERFORMANCE SURVEY. (Tyre bible Template)

Postby Goldminer on Tue, 18 Jan 2011 4:11 +0000

BRAND. Bridgestone LT D694

TYRE SIZE. 265/70/r16

TYPE. All terrain

SUSPENSION LIFT. Tough Dog 2" coils OME Nitro Sport struts

RIM SIZE. 16 * 7 ROH Black Trak

Have been running these as everyday tyres for around 30k's now and am very impressed with their ability both on road and off. Pretty good in the wet, they pump the water quite well, though as with any 4wd, some spirited driving will produce some tail out action.
Offroad, as they are an all terrain, they are a compromise. These tyres excel at beach driving with gravel grip and tracking excellent, however on mud they clog easily and provide little tractive effort. Let them down and they provide okay grip on the rocks.
Wear has been good with an average of 9mm of tread left. I am impressed with the chip resistance as they are basically unmarked from a 10k trip including the Gunbarrel, Simpson and Birdsville.
Overall a good replacement tyre but for muddy off road I have a set of play tyres which I wiil write up soon.
Goldminer

Postby jakelux on Tue, 18 Jan 2011 4:43 +0000

BRAND. Pirreli Scorpion ATR

TYRE SIZE. 31x10.5x15 LT

TYPE. All terrain

SUSPENSION LIFT. Not needed to fit these

RIM SIZE. 15x7 SR5 Alloy

These have been on and off my lux for a couple of years and are wearing really well, i reckon there still at about 85%. These are only used on street and are grippy on the bitumen dry and wet. Don't get these confused with the Pirelli Scorpion AT (older version) 'cause they were shit. Mud... forget about it, they will clog up and you won't go anywhere. Sand.. great, they will float over the top when let down. Gravel.. not bad. snow.. not bad.

PHOTOS.
jakelux

Postby Blackdc2 on Wed, 19 Jan 2011 9:10 +0000

Hi Guys

After reading through the whole thread, I was a little disappointed to only find one good post which explained the consequences of going to larger tyres.

For a person such as myself who is looking at replacing my tyres, it would be a huge shock to spend 1k+ on larger tyres only to find they increase your braking distances (which creates its own safety issue)/fuel economy and a reduction in noticeable performance.

Now, I understand that going to a larger tyre is going to offer you better "off road" improvements in most circumstances, but what I think is really important for people to know is how braking, fuel economy and performance will also be altered as a result of tyres.

I am not disrespecting or disputing sobriquet/Eric feedback, but we can not only have a "one person consensus" regarding these matters.

It would be great to hear other peoples experiences in these departments as well.

For people trying to setup a tourer rather than a rock climbing warrior, I feel this information would be extremely helpful for potential tyre buyers, as well as the people who have to drive their setups daily.

Jason
Blackdc2

Postby bairdy380 on Wed, 19 Jan 2011 9:40 +0000

Jason, check my buildup thread...it has a rough mud tyre calculation in there somewhere...I'd do a link for you...but no idea how too! :lol:
Cheers
Bairdy
bairdy380

Postby bairdy380 on Wed, 19 Jan 2011 9:48 +0000

BRAND.
Maxxis Bighorn
TYRE SIZE.
32x11.5 R15
TYPE.
Muddie
SUSPENSION LIFT.
2 1/2 inch lift tough dog adjustable with HD desert fox springs
RIM SIZE.
15x8 Black steel infinities
They do appear to be starting to wear...so at a guess maybe 40K max out of them if they stay on blacktop.
Offroad...brilliant, bag out and grip everything really, really well.
Onroad...noisy (i can live with it), but handling has felt as good as the stock tyres.
They do still rub on something...maybe the flare inner, but only on nose down turns into driveways.
Economy....acceptable...have gone from an average of 10 l per 100km down to around 11.8 - 12 l per 100km
Obviously getting them turnining initially, there is a really minor feeling of power loss from stock.
Overall...I am really pleased with them.
bairdy380

Postby Goldminer on Wed, 19 Jan 2011 10:01 +0000

Blackdc2 wrote:Hi GuysAfter reading through the whole thread, I was a little disappointed to only find one good post which explained the consequences of going to larger tyres.For a person such as myself who is looking at replacing my tyres, it would be a huge shock to spend 1k+ on larger tyres only to find they increase your braking distances (which creates its own safety issue)/fuel economy and a reduction in noticeable performance.Now, I understand that going to a larger tyre is going to offer you better "off road" improvements in most circumstances, but what I think is really important for people to know is how braking, fuel economy and performance will also be altered as a result of tyres.I am not disrespecting or disputing sobriquet/Eric feedback, but we can not only have a "one person consensus" regarding these matters. It would be great to hear other peoples experiences in these departments as well.For people trying to setup a tourer rather than a rock climbing warrior, I feel this information would be extremely helpful for potential tyre buyers, as well as the people who have to drive their setups daily.
Jason

Jason, you have a good point. But as to what eric says if you are setting up a tourer as I have, the original fitment tyres are a joke. Maybe they would be fine to get around the city on the blacktop but thats it. Point your bonnet in the direction of something interesting and I am sure you would soon find your tyres coming up short. If you are worried about the fuel economy, recent trip I averaged 11l/100km over 10000k's including some of the roughest tracks in Australia and the simpson desert. Economy is all directly related the the weight of your right foot.

If you are concerned about braking distance, my tyres are a hellava lot better than standard, with a larger contact patch and deeper tread you have a considerably better wet and dry driving characteristics.

As to getting off the line, fit a chip and be happy ;)
Cheers Wes
Goldminer

Postby Skog07 on Wed, 19 Jan 2011 10:26 +0000

Blackdc2 wrote:Hi Guys

After reading through the whole thread, I was a little disappointed to only find one good post which explained the consequences of going to larger tyres.

For a person such as myself who is looking at replacing my tyres, it would be a huge shock to spend 1k+ on larger tyres only to find they increase your braking distances (which creates its own safety issue)/fuel economy and a reduction in noticeable performance.

Now, I understand that going to a larger tyre is going to offer you better "off road" improvements in most circumstances, but what I think is really important for people to know is how braking, fuel economy and performance will also be altered as a result of tyres.

I am not disrespecting or disputing sobriquet/Eric feedback, but we can not only have a "one person consensus" regarding these matters.

It would be great to hear other peoples experiences in these departments as well.

For people trying to setup a tourer rather than a rock climbing warrior, I feel this information would be extremely helpful for potential tyre buyers, as well as the people who have to drive their setups daily.

Jason

Hi Jason.
Tyres is such a broad catergory...and so many factors come into the equation. ie size, width, load ratings, speed ratings legalities state by state, rim sizes. Fuel economy, braking performance the list goes on and on..
The absolute funniest thing that I have seen throughout the whole thread is Felix a long term member has only run the 215's report. :) :)
Grab a template from the first post and give us all an evaluation of the rims and tyre combo that you run on your hilux. You might even help someone else out that is considering a similar option to yourself... Not all of us run huge tyres... Im running the std SR5 rubber now that is just about worn out. Bought second hand on rims for $300 dollars. Best tyres I have run so far....
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Postby KTM525EXC on Thu, 20 Jan 2011 10:23 +0000

hey Mark

mabe in light of what Jason is saying, it would be a good idea at the start of the thread to have a small claus stating the original size tyre and differing for the original size has effects eg; decreased braking efficiency the bigger the tyre and so on, and mabe have a link to a good tyre calculator so the members can make a decision on what they read and calculate themselves

what ya recon?

cheers Troy
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby helmut79 on Thu, 20 Jan 2011 10:39 +0000

KTM525EXC wrote:hey Mark

mabe in light of what Jason is saying, it would be a good idea at the start of the thread to have a small claus stating the original size tyre and differing for the original size has effects eg; decreased braking efficiency the bigger the tyre and so on, and mabe have a link to a good tyre calculator so the members can make a decision on what they read and calculate themselves

what ya recon?

cheers Troy

I think that's a top Idea Troy, I have a good link to a wheel / tyre calculator

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp
Mick
FCCW

“This is anger management......I’m channelling it into something and then I destroy it!”

My Build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6869

New Member Sandpit viewforum.php?f=83
helmut79

Postby noodle on Thu, 20 Jan 2011 10:48 +0000

There is a tyre calculator somewhere that allows you to input all the normal measurements, but also includes the rim offset of each variant you are looking at.
It then tells you what difference to track, rolling diameter, distance from suspension (generic) etc.
Even gives you alternate tyre sizes that are similar

Now I can't remember where it was :(
Al
07 D4D D/Cab Manual

noodle

Postby helmut79 on Thu, 20 Jan 2011 10:56 +0000

Yeah Al that 1010 site has one but I know the one you are talking about just trying to find it
Mick
FCCW

“This is anger management......I’m channelling it into something and then I destroy it!”

My Build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6869

New Member Sandpit viewforum.php?f=83
helmut79

Postby noodle on Thu, 20 Jan 2011 11:38 +0000

This is it, it was in the tyre calculator thread (go figure :roll: )

http://www.rimsntires.com/rt_specs.jsp
Al
07 D4D D/Cab Manual

noodle

Postby Kkk88 on Mon, 24 Jan 2011 7:40 +0000

31x10,5 R15 is good for a stock 2006 d4d? or only 30x9,5 R15?
the tyre is now 235/75 R16 yokohama at
Kkk88

PreviousNext

Return to Tyres & Wheels