TYRE FITMENT & PERFORMANCE SURVEY. (Tyre bible Template)

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: TYRE FITMENT & PERFORMANCE SURVEY. (Tyre bible Template)

Postby D4D Hilux on Sat, 20 Feb 2010 8:26 +0000

jogal wrote:Ok i may as well add to this thread! My last lux an 05 Extra-cab i ran 265/75 R16's Procomp Xtreme MT's as far as a aggressive tyre is concerned i thought they were worth every cent i paid for them i got close to 70thou k's out of them. Offroad they were awesome on road grip was great as well! as far as road noise they were good for a mudie but as they wore on they got a bit noisier.They did however change the gearing but after fitting the Steinbaur any lost performance was soon gained back and more. I tow a heavy trailer pretty much daily (2+ton) and the braking is shit with or without the trailer so i think in terms of braking you need to adjust your driving techniques. On my new lux i have just fitted 31x10.5 r15 Micky T's MTZ's all ive got to say i rekon they are the worst tyre i have ever bought ! I cant say they have faulted offroad yet but onroad they are definately the loudest tyre i have ever had and in terms of towing when braking they sound like the lugs are ripping off. Any how i know the MTZ's are very popular and i could just be fussy and im comparing to what ive had previously. As for the last post expect to pay anywere from $289 to $340 for the 31x10.5 R15 MTZ's

thanks mate, food for thought... its hard coz some people love the MTZ's to bits and others despise them..... :lol:
Cheers, Ryan

07 SR5 Hilux D4D
D4D Hilux

Postby jogal on Sat, 20 Feb 2010 9:13 +0000

Yeah i know what you mean! i suppose it just comes down to personal preference. I hate them that much that i,m thinking of replacing them while there only got 6000k's on them.
jogal

Postby D4D Hilux on Sun, 21 Feb 2010 10:17 +0000

http://www.productreview.com.au/categor ... tion=ITEMS

Found this website, takes a while to search trought the pages and find each Tyre, but really good info/reviews here....
Cheers, Ryan

07 SR5 Hilux D4D
D4D Hilux

Postby RokitRyder on Tue, 02 Mar 2010 7:31 +0000

BRAND: BF GOODRICH

TYRE SIZE. 255/85/16 = 34/10/16

TYPE. mud terrain

Have bodylift due to fit suspension lift but undecided which way to go.

RIM SIZE. 16x7 90 series steel prado rims painted black - skog had these first ;)

odd size i know but perform great off road, plenty of bite and stability in mud and rocks, average in the sand as they are too agressive, throw the speedo out of whack a fair bit! not disgustingly noisy however you will know they are there, fairly good onroad manners but you do notice the tall sidewalls when changing lanes and manouvering and i would maybe advise at looking at your ratios. note - do not try and fit these without at least a 3 inch lift or 2 inch body and 2 inch suspension, unless of course you like a little angle grinder and steak knife action, !! :mrgreen:
WHEN YOU BUY A NISSAN THERES SOMTHIN MISSAN
RokitRyder

Postby Bucko on Tue, 02 Mar 2010 10:38 +0000

BRAND. Cooper STT

RIM. 16 x 7 mags

TYRE. Mud terrain 265/75/16

SUSPENSION LIFT. 50mm OME

WEAR, done 55k and are having to rotate ever 10k (service) to monitor wear, ive tied different wheel alignments & all but they still wear every second tread block. :?

PERFORMANCE ON ROAD. Not bad in the dry but not very good in the wet sometimes dangerous.

PERFORMANCE OFF ROAD. Very good, they go to work in mud, rock & sand well just get the air pressure
Right & they will not get you down. :D

But i will not buy them again; i think the BFGoodrich M/T are far better in the wet & I’m very interested in the Mickey Thompson MTZ :?
Bucko
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Steve9R on Wed, 03 Mar 2010 5:53 +0000

Bucko wrote:
WEAR, done 55k and are having to rotate ever 10k (service) to monitor wear, ive tied different wheel alignments & all but they still wear every second tread block. :?

Interesting you say that.. the truck alignment place i go to said they have no end of trouble aligning Cooper tires. for some reason no matter whether they rotate or not after the alignment is perfect the tires still drift to the left. my Cooper ATR's do too (aligned with the Coopers on).. yet i pull them off and put my MTZ's on and everything is perfect.. bizarre..
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby jamiecracker on Wed, 03 Mar 2010 7:56 +0000

mmmmm iam having all sorts of problems with vibrations using my stt's
jamiecracker

Postby Steve9R on Wed, 03 Mar 2010 10:40 +0000

jamiecracker wrote:mmmmm iam having all sorts of problems with vibrations using my stt's

yeah ? .. with mine the only thing i notice is that with the Coopers on my steering wheel isnt '
straight' (slightly off centre).. and if i let go of the steering wheel it drifts slightly to the left.. but no abnormal wear or vibrations.. i take the rims and tires off and put on the MTZ's .. steering wheel is now straight and let go of steering wheel and it is straight as a die..

yet the alignment was done with the coopers on.. as i said above the alignment place said they have a lot of trouble with Coopers..
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby jamiecracker on Wed, 03 Mar 2010 11:01 +0000

i may have left the rotation too long but damn it is annoying
jamiecracker

Postby tasibrett on Wed, 03 Mar 2010 7:30 +0000

I run STT's on my landcruser and have always rotated every 5ks. and no heal and toe. They are wearing much better than my Cooper ATR's on my Hilux that I have been rotating every 10ks. Wish I had never brought the crappy ATR's, just had a puncture and it was just a sharp rock.
My wife say's I am not completely useless, I can serve as a bad example for others
tasibrett

Postby RokitRyder on Wed, 03 Mar 2010 8:20 +0000

yeah had this same problem with my firestones, puncture on a peice of bubblegum and pull to the left like a 12 year old boy!! :o but did wear like iron....
RokitRyder

Postby Diegothecat on Thu, 04 Mar 2010 2:15 +0000

Well Finally i can post up some infomation in this thread, after months and months of looking (& im mean months) I have purchased a set of Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 Rib tyres.

BRAND.

Mickey Thompson

TYRE SIZE.

265/75/16

TYPE.

ATZ 4 Rib

SUSPENSION LIFT.

3 Inch at the front and around 2 inch in the rear. But tyres still rubbing on front mudguard so they have been removed even after i tried modifying them.

RIM SIZE.

I ended up with a 16 inch 0 offset rim.

WEAR, PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD

Performance on road had definitely dropped compared to standard tyres and fuel consumption has changed between 50 and 80kms a tank even after allowing for the speedo change. Some thing I am happy with is that the speedo now reads correctly, smack on compared to my GPS unit. But the tyre performance is great on road, a little noise when traveling over 80kph but nothing annoying, the car corners better and have very little wheel spin in corners. Wet weather driving is also great, i dont have to use 4wd when taking off at a hill near me any more as the tyres just grip and do what they should. Im very happy with them and ill definitely be putting on another set.

Off road im very happy with the performance of the tyre off road, Iv taken it off road a couple of times now and cant put them wrong, for a all terrain tyre they are very aggressive and flick a fair bit mud when they need to.

WEBLINKS.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com.au/t ... _4_Rib.htm

PHOTOS.

Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Postby jiggins on Sun, 21 Mar 2010 7:41 +0000

RokitRyder wrote:BRAND: BF GOODRICH

TYRE SIZE. 255/85/16 = 34/10/16

TYPE. mud terrain

Have bodylift due to fit suspension lift but undecided which way to go.

RIM SIZE. 16x7 90 series steel prado rims painted black - skog had these first ;)

odd size i know but perform great off road, plenty of bite and stability in mud and rocks, average in the sand as they are too agressive, throw the speedo out of whack a fair bit! not disgustingly noisy however you will know they are there, fairly good onroad manners but you do notice the tall sidewalls when changing lanes and manouvering and i would maybe advise at looking at your ratios. note - do not try and fit these without at least a 3 inch lift or 2 inch body and 2 inch suspension, unless of course you like a little angle grinder and steak knife action, !! :mrgreen:

Gday RokitRyder

A quick question on you choice of tyre are they the KM or KM2 Mud tyre also what is the wear like on them.

Cheers

Jiggins
jiggins

My 2005 Dual Cab Hilux Garden Ornament will move again one day. :shock:

Yep... One Day. :roll:

Update: My 2005 Dual Cab Hilux Garden Ornament is back on the road. :shock:
jiggins
Platinum Subscriber

Postby XRsteve on Wed, 07 Apr 2010 4:41 +0000

I'm getting the Km2's fitted tomorrow. I have read almost every review i could find on them and its about 50/50 for the on-road use. So i thought ill get them and see for myself. And if i did choose to get a A/T instead i know ill be disappointed i didn't find out for myself how the km2s went.
XRsteve

Postby RokitRyder on Wed, 28 Apr 2010 8:07 +0000

Hey Jiggins,

Been a while since i've been on here, (i'm going to hilux therapy!) no just been to busy with work and other shit, but have been able to put some k's on my tyres incuding several trips out to ormeau and a trip to the springs for a weekend of solid wheeling, and yeah mate the wear is good, they dont chip as much as i thought they would and they are the KM1's.

I dont run mine as daily's and am in my part glad that i don't, so i cant give you a real idea on consistant road wear but they are a little noisy, but not as bad as my simex i had on the fj40! :)

Hope it helps mate. :idea:
RokitRyder

Postby McLUX on Sat, 26 Jun 2010 9:44 +0000

G'day Gent's,
Just looking to see if any of you guys on the original posts could run an update ( 6months on since first post by Skog).
I have always run Goodyear wrangler MT/R's in 33"s on my previous Hilux's but so far I am not that happy with the new directional pattern and overall style of thier new kevlar's(willing to be proven wrong if anyone is running them).
Saying this I am considering running 265/75R16's in Mickey Thompson MTZ's.
If I can get an update on threads to have a greater understanding of wear rates that would be great.
P.S. Much to my wifes disappointment I am going to throw the standard SR5 rims (15"anyway) and throw a set of steely's on with +13 offset. If you guys have any recommendations based on experience I am happy to hear it. As in one of the previous post I have had some real dramas with King wheels but in saying that have had some real good runs too.
P.P.S. Once i get the new set up I will update this post with pic's and opinions on both the new and old factory set up.
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters.
McLUX

Postby jakelux on Sat, 26 Jun 2010 3:12 +0000

BRAND.
Maxxis Bighorn
TYRE SIZE.
32x11.5
TYPE.
Muddie
SUSPENSION LIFT.
2 1/2 inch lift
RIM SIZE.
15x7 Black steel
WEAR, PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD
No rubbing what so ever (should of gone 33's). On road not to bad, speedo is out and loud after 70KPH. Off road there great very grippy on rock and mud. Not as good as my All terrains in the sand, not sure why? maybe they are TOO aggresive?! They are wearing very well due to the fact that these only go on when going out bush.

*edit* Jan 2012:
Sold the bighorns after about a year and half still had 75-80% on them. A great 'budget' tyre for offroad, on the bitumen though they would wear quite quick and were loud as f$#k. Only sold them because i wanted a 16 inch rim and 33 inch tyre. but would buy them again as a dedicated offroad set. :D

PHOTOS
Last edited by jakelux on Wed, 11 Jan 2012 5:47 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
jakelux

Postby McLUX on Sun, 27 Jun 2010 6:35 +0000

Jake,
What did you pay for the bighorns and what brand of steel wheels did you get?
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters.
McLUX

Postby Skog07 on Mon, 28 Jun 2010 10:46 +0000

[quote="McLUX"]G'day Gent's,
Just looking to see if any of you guys on the original posts could run an update ( 6months on since first post by Skog).
quote]
McLUX.
I still have the MTZ's but they have only done a few thousand k's since new and sitting on a pallet in the shed.
I am about to write up a set of BFG A/T's that have seen alot of use... About 85,000ks..
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Postby jakelux on Tue, 29 Jun 2010 2:17 +0000

Jake,
What did you pay for the bighorns and what brand of steel wheels did you get?
[/quote][/quote]

Mate i think they are an ROH rim.. just cheapies as they get thrashed, dont see the point of havin an expensive rim off road. As for the Bighorns got a really good deal.. probably due to the fact that they were trying to clear out old stock, I think the big Horns have a slightly different design now.
Jake
jakelux

PreviousNext

Return to Tyres & Wheels