TYRE FITMENT & PERFORMANCE SURVEY. (Tyre bible Template)

Need something to get you rolling?

TYRE FITMENT & PERFORMANCE SURVEY. (Tyre bible Template)

Postby Skog07 on Thu, 11 Jun 2009 7:52 +0000

Looking at conducting a tyre performance survey to find out what tyres, sizes and types of tyres newhilux members are using. I am borrowing this idea from our friends over on newtriton. Wanting to put together some sort of thread that newbies can have a look at to try and give them a better understanding of what rim combos and tyre combos are available and work on the hilux. Any any sort of problems encountered with fitment and how they look on the hilux as well.
Using the template below let us know what tyres you are using, how you rate them on and offroad and what rim you are using and any issue with rubbing etc.
Please keep responses fairly brief. Highlight the major issues and if possible link it to a build up thread for more detailed information. ie. Trimming of panels, guards, flex shots.
Headings for the survey

BRAND. (Manufacturer and tyre code)

TYRE SIZE.(Dia if known)

TYPE. (ie. H/T, A/T, M/T or Directional)

SUSPENSION LIFT. (What height your suspension is set at.)

RIM SIZE. (Brand, steel-alloy, diametre, width and (offset if Known???))

WEAR and PERFORMANCE ON + OFF ROAD ( Km's (service life), General comments, scrubbing issues and mods required to make them fit...Wheel studs not long enough... etc. (Briefly))

WEBLINK.(ie. links to build up threads for more detailed explanations or topic covered elsewhere on the forum)
(ie. link to tyre manufacturer)
(ie. Link to rim manufacturer)
PHOTOS. (post up one or two photos of your tyre/ rim combo)

This is a very, very broad subject so please only post up your experiences here, even if your running stock tyres on stock rims on stock suspension would like to hear how you rate your tyres. To try and keep this topic on track general questions should be directed to the member who posted up via PM or jump onto an existing tyre thread using the search function.
I appreciate your participation in this thread. Even if you can't fill out all the fields in the template dont be shy to post up, every piece of infromation helps and it saves me alot of work..... :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Mark

Copy/ paste the template below to post up your reply.

BRAND.

TYRE SIZE.

TYPE.

SUSPENSION LIFT.

RIM SIZE.

WEAR, PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD

WEBLINKS.

PHOTOS.
Skog07

Re: TYRE PERFORMANCE SURVEY.

Postby Skog07 on Thu, 11 Jun 2009 7:54 +0000

BRAND.Mickey Thompson MTZ.

TYRE SIZE.265/75R16 (32")

SUSPENSION LIFT. Yes. 40-50 mm. 1.5- 2 inch.

TYPE.Mud Terrain

RIM SIZE.16 X 7 Genuine Prado steel rims (Powerdoated Black) Offset. + 20.. Thanks Max.

WEAR, PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD. Used as a play set of tyres. Surprisingly good handling on road for a muddie. Noisy at 80kph. Offroad good performance on all surfaces except clay. Only rubbing issue is front mud flap which can be easily removed. Slight tearing on on bottom of tread lug. Travelled approximately 8000km about 3mm of tread wear.

PHOTOS.
Skog07

Postby Hilux Max on Fri, 12 Jun 2009 6:55 +0000

Skog,

just a couple things mate, and you can delete this message after you read it to keep on topic.....

1) your Prado wheels are a +20 offset

2) you might want to add a heading that says "Suspension Lift" because there no point stating the wheel/tyre specs and if they rub or not without stating the lift the person is running....people reading it might think that is works on stock suspension when it might not.

3) I have a .pdf file of the 4x4 action magazines mud tyre test, do you want me to send it over to you and maybe you can post a link at the top of this thread to it, so people can use it as a reference?

Back on topic now.....
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Hilux Max on Fri, 12 Jun 2009 7:13 +0000

BRAND - Silverstone MT 117 Sport

TYRE SIZE - 285/75x16 (exactly 33" diamter, website states these are 11.3 wide but actual measurement is closer to 11.8" wide)

TYPE - Directional Mud Terrain....16.2mm tread depth when new......CHUNKY :twisted:

RIM SIZE - 16x8 Dynamic Black Steel Wheels, Zero Offset.

SUSPENSION - Yes, Full 3" Lift.

RUBBING - Not now, but have "just" clipped the rear chassis mount only once. Quite abit of trimming is required to make these work effectively offroad, under full suspension compression and with the wheels turned.

For further details please refer to my buildup - http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=747

WEAR, PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD - Wear has been pretty good. These are my daily tyres, on the road/bitumen they howl abit, especially between 60 to 80 kph, where they must achieve some sort of resonance, and howl like hell. At 100kph they are barely noticeable. Offroad they excel....they grab mud and fling it towards the horizon in chunks. Over loose rocky terrain they are very grippy, and those chunky sidewalls help heaps when going uphill in rutted terrain. They have a very thick 2 ply sidewall, that you notice when you air them down, at 15psi, they dont bag out as much as my previous Buckshots did.

COST - Cost me $245 each in November last year. Heard they are $285 each now.

WEB-LINK - http://www.chapelcornertyres.com.au/files/4x4.pdf
Making 33" tyres fit

PHOTOS -
Last edited by Hilux Max on Fri, 12 Jun 2009 4:18 +0000, edited 2 times in total.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Hilux Max on Fri, 12 Jun 2009 7:31 +0000

BRAND - Maxxis Buckshot

TYRE SIZE - 285/75x16 (exactly 33" diameter x 11.7" wide

TYPE - Mud Terrain....20/32 tread depth......15.5mm

RIM SIZE - 16x8 Dynamic Black Steel Wheels, Zero Offset.

SUSPENSION - Yes, Full 3" Lift.

RUBBING - Refer to explanation in previous thread.

WEAR, PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD - On the road they have the usual slight howl that all muddies do. These were my daily drivers before the Silverstones. Slightly better road manners than the Silverstones. They are quite abit softer too. Wear was acceptable but nothing to sing and dance about. Offroad, they were great, provided excellent grip in mud and clay, chipped and sliced abit on rocky terrain. Bag well when aired down. They are a great tyre for the price, just wish they had some sidewall protection.

COST - Cost me $250 each 2 years ago.

WEB-LINK - http://www.maxxis.com/AutomobileLight-Truck/Light-Truck-SUV/MT-754-Buckshot-Mudder.aspx
Making 33" tyres fit

PHOTOS -

Last edited by Hilux Max on Fri, 12 Jun 2009 4:19 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby crosssport on Fri, 12 Jun 2009 8:41 +0000

I shall be watching this thread closely, as I am wanting to fit 265/75/16 muddies and hope to find the right rim size/offset and suspension lift required to make it happen without rubbing.

I agree with MMaaxx about having what height if any suspension lift as it goes hand in hand with the wheel & tyre fitment and perfomance. No good having a tyre that perfoms greatly if it catches and rubs everywhere when off road.
DETERMINATION.....THERE IS NO TRYING...THERE IS ONLY DOING OR NOT DOING!
crosssport

Postby Skog07 on Fri, 12 Jun 2009 3:44 +0000

Template edited to include suspension lift and weblinks.
Thanks for your participation in putting this together.
Regards.
Mark
Skog07

Postby Macca on Fri, 12 Jun 2009 4:21 +0000

My experience
Daily road tyres
BRAND. Cooper

TYRE SIZE. 31/10.5R15LT

TYPE. ATR

WEB SITE. COOPER ATR's

SUSPENSION LIFT. 50mm

RIM SIZE. 15 x 7 stock SR5 alloys

Only done about 5000km (wearing well still look new) mainly road, run quiet and good grip even on wet roundabouts, also some sand where they are awsome when let down (eg 12psi at Stockton)

First set of "muddies"
BRAND. Cooper

TYRE SIZE. 265/70R16 (31.69")

TYPE. ST

WEB SITE. COOPER ST.

SUSPENSION LIFT. 50mm

RIM SIZE. 16 x 8? I think ROH RTX 30p offset

WEB SITE. ROH RTX RIMS
ROH RTX RIM THREAD

Not too noisy, but its there. Just got used to it.
Got 80000km so wear was good, would have got more except the Central Aus road gave the rears a pasting. Was told the fronts stand the stones up and the rears get cut away??? Don't know if thats true...... My first 4Wd since I was a kid so drove them too hard and chipped the lugs spinning up climbs, have learnt to drive differently and the started to get much less damage. Still a good allround tyre. Cost $305 each :? :? :?
Only ever had 2 puncture's, a nail in the tyre & a stick punctures the carcase where the side wall and tread meet (a simple plug fixed that one).

Second set of muddies
BRAND. Cooper

TYRE SIZE. 265/75R16 (32")

TYPE. STT

WEB SITE. COOPER STT

SUSPENSION LIFT. 50mm

RIM SIZE. 16 x 8? I think ROH RTX 30p offset

I reckon they are quieter than the ST's, I am going deaf :cry: :cry:
Had them for a couple of short trips, 200km each. They are bloody awsome :oops:
I know they are new replacing the flogged ST's but the difference is incredible. Very happy so far.
Cost dont really know, traded an unused ST and paid $1137.00 for 4

Macca
Last edited by Macca on Fri, 12 Jun 2009 5:30 +0000, edited 2 times in total.
Macca

Postby Quinny34 on Fri, 12 Jun 2009 4:52 +0000

BRAND.
Mickey Thompson MTZ

TYRE SIZE.
285/75/16

TYPE.
Muddy's

SUSPENSION LIFT.
2.75"

RIM SIZE.
16x8 0 offset

On road they are very good, very confident for turning and braking. Surprisingly good in the wet considering the tyre width.

Off road, I have a lead foot and tend to get alot of wheel spin, they have so far been resistant to shipping (BFG AT's suffered chipping very early with my driving and tracks that I haunt).

Soft tread but seems to be handling well, 3000 klms so can't discuss long term life...

MTZ are real Mud Slingers.... they clean themselves really well and although reported as not great on clay they are 50 times better then the BFG AT's on clay....

WEBLINKS.
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/truc ... aMTZRadial

PHOTOS.

This shows original SR rims/tyres compared to the MTZ 33'

Previous SR5 Tyres...

BRAND.
BFG

TYRE SIZE.
225/75/16 + 245/70/16

TYPE.
AT

SUSPENSION LIFT.
2"

RIM SIZE.
16"x7" ROH RTX (Unsure of offset)

Good onroad, bit treacherous in the wet, had a habit of letting go without warning. Was also hard to get them to waer evenly and required constant rotation every 5,000 klms.

Mud/Clay, not to bad but stuffed if they where unable to clean themselves. Good on dry rock, wet rock was very dependant on the type of rock, smooth surfaces posed a problem but a shale type outcrop would allow them to bite in.

Sand - Good.

Biggest issue I had was chipping. NE Vic is reasonably rocky and these tyres seemed to chip much more than my current MTZ's.

Good with low pressure, could run 12 PSI without to much fear of popping the bead.

The 225 set where to skinny in my opinion and suffered more wear do to the fact the car would understeer with sidewall flex. They really need to be at least a 245 for a hilux.
Last edited by Quinny34 on Tue, 16 Jun 2009 8:42 +0000, edited 3 times in total.
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Re: TYRE FITMENT & PERFORMANCE SURVEY. (Tyre bible Template)

Postby Macca on Fri, 12 Jun 2009 5:37 +0000

Those Silverstone MT 117 Sport look magic 8-) 8-) 8-)

Macca
Macca

Postby Hilux Max on Fri, 12 Jun 2009 5:39 +0000

Macca wrote:Those Silverstone MT 117 Sport look magic 8-) 8-) 8-)

Macca

Thanks Macca, their performance is surprising offroad too.

I reckon they must be the most "under rated" tyre out there today....
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Skog07 on Fri, 12 Jun 2009 5:41 +0000

Title edited for clarity...
Troy you owe me a write up...
Well the cat is out of the bag now, this is a template for a tyre bible hence why I need a great variety of tyre and rim combos that members are using. This will allow us to post all the links up for general discussion on a particular brand, size and type of tyre along with rims photos area great visual aid as well. Remember try and stick close to the headings if you feel as though you would like to add another one of your own like price etc feel free to do so as well.
You posts maybe edited and added to as well by me to link it to a topic, website etc etc. It may also disapear from the forum where I can edit it in the moderators section as well.
Rest assured this is a mammoth task and your help with this particular subject is greatly appreciated....
Quinny you crack me up mate...lol
Cheers
Mark
Skog07

Postby rodw on Fri, 12 Jun 2009 6:20 +0000

BRAND.

TYRE SIZE. 265/75 R16 (32.0")

TYPE.
Dick Cepk Crusher

SUSPENSION LIFT.
Tough Dog 2"

RIM SIZE.
16" + 20 Offset Speedy Prado Rims

New tyres, so still getting used to them, but awesome at 12 psi for special occasions, normally off road 16 psi is good. Boggers with street manners

WEBLINKS.
http://www.dickcepek.com/tires.php?item=Crusher

From Ryano at http://www.fourbys.com.au

PHOTOS.

Last edited by rodw on Fri, 12 Jun 2009 6:22 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
rodw

Postby Dluxv6 on Fri, 12 Jun 2009 6:22 +0000

Guys
my wheel and doughnuts
Everyday use and away trips

BRAND. BF Goodrich

TYRE SIZE. 31 x 10.50 x 15"

TYPE. All Terrain

SUSPENSION LIFT. Rancho with adjustable dampers , Originally went 80 mm :D now settled a bit :cry:

RIM SIZE.Allied Machined Jungle 15" x 7.5" offset is +20

WEAR and PERFORMANCE ON + OFF ROAD
No mods required with this fitment, no scrapping or scrubbing.
Speedo is correct to the dollar.
General driving is good, now have 38,000k's, reckon i will get 80,000 out of these, they also can be a bit on the slippery side on black bitumen.(Could be either the V6 or my right foot though)
These tyres will always be a compromise of Road/dirt /tyre life.I find them alright in all terrains.
These are run of the mill and haven't brought any attention from either DMR or Police
Cheers Drew
Last edited by Dluxv6 on Sun, 14 Jun 2009 5:01 +0000, edited 2 times in total.
'If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking.......
how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time
Dluxv6
Platinum Subscriber

Postby KTM525EXC on Sun, 14 Jun 2009 11:57 +0000

BRAND. Bridgestone Dueler D693LT

TYRE SIZE. 265/75R16 (32''X10.5'')

TYPE. A/T

SUSPENSION LIFT. 3'' lift Bilstein / Ironman

RIM SIZE. CSA Stampede 16X7 mags 20p offset

WEAR, PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD. Great wearing tyre, ive done 25,000kms on them and they look like new. One of my dads friends got 120,000 out of his set. On the road in the dry they handle quite well with minimal road noise. In the wet they handle quite well as well, where other ppl have said they are crap in the wet. In the dirt and mud they do ok for a A/T, good respone on steering not skatey on loose stuff.
A little ridged when aired down where they dont quite bag as well as others due to its ridged construction. Good tread depth, i think by memory 18mm.
Over all a good tyre at a good price

MODS. Either remove the mudflap, or do what i done, which was pining back the mudflap. I used stainless steel braided Wire from the mud flap to the bodymount to pull it back.

PICTURES.
Last edited by KTM525EXC on Mon, 15 Jun 2009 1:55 +0000, edited 2 times in total.
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby tgibbo on Sun, 14 Jun 2009 3:07 +0000

micky thompson baja mtz

31. 10.5. 15

mud terrane

35mm snake strut spacer

sr5 15x7

WEAR, not bad wear done 10,000kms and worn down about 5mm, only problem iv had is on rocks the rocks tear chunks of the lugs on the edges and in the middle where the sip is but mainly if your going hard.

PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD. exelent in the mud and clay they chuck mud evrywear backwards and forwards. grippy on rocks too. on the road they grip better than most tyers and rearly let you get sideways very quiet on the road to

21/4/10
just got a new set of mtz''s after the old set got 50,000kms,i was very happy with that so got another set, i also found i stopped tearing chuncks off them when they were a 20psi so i now air down every time im offroad
Last edited by tgibbo on Wed, 21 Apr 2010 7:54 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
tgibbo

Postby tgibbo on Sun, 14 Jun 2009 3:23 +0000

BRAND - Silverstone MT 117 Sport

TYRE SIZE - 31x10.5x15

TYPE - Directional Mud Terrain

RIM SIZE - sr5 alloy

SUSPENSION - 35mm snake spacers

WEAR- very poor got 30,000 kms out of them and the put a stick through one so chucked them out ould have got about 5000 more k's. main problem was the front if the wheel alighnment went out the they would chop right ont the inside.

PERFORMANCE- not as good as you would think for such a agresive looking tyre defenatly not as good as my new micky thompsons i used to get boged all the time now i hardly ever do they used to spin all the time trying to get grip. road performance was even wors they were really slippery in the wet or dry and i had to drive very carefully, now take corners about 20kms faster
tgibbo

Postby Hilux Max on Sun, 14 Jun 2009 4:35 +0000

i find your perception of the silverstone surprising as my experience is totally opposite....and mine are wearing great..... i never ever get wheel spin even if its bucketing down.....
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby jiggins on Sun, 14 Jun 2009 6:05 +0000

Ok I've had 2 setups for the lux so far...

BRAND. Bridgstone

TYRE SIZE. 205R16C LT

TYPE. Desert Dueler 604V

SUSPENSION LIFT. No to start then a 35mm Snake Racing Spacers front only

RIM SIZE. STOCK SR 16 x 6 offset +40 ?? I think

WEAR, PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD Performance excellent on and off road, Wear was pretty quick I thought. I've had the Lux for a little over 12 months and doing a little over 30,000 km, these tyres came on the lux when I got it and look like full/very close to full tread. and in 12 months it was time for new tyres.

WEBLINKS. http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/treads/604v.aspx

PHOTO. We've all seen the stock SR rims

BRAND. Bridgstone

TYRE SIZE. 245 70 R16

TYPE. Dueler 694 A/T

SUSPENSION LIFT. 35mm Snake Racing Spacers front only

RIM SIZE. KING TERRA BLACKS 16 x 7 <== Well Named TERRA Shocking I will never recommend or buy another set of KING WHEELS again. Words will never describe how farked these rims are. I bought 5 and have had 3 changed and still have a problem. Have a little read from a few of the members http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3247&start=0

WEAR, PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD Performance excellent on road and on sand not to sure of the off road, have been out a few time but not many and they feel as if they lose traction quick even with lower pressures. Wear not to sure yet have only had them a few month.

WEBLINKS. http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/treads/d694.aspx

PHOTOS. Image
Last edited by jiggins on Fri, 19 Jun 2009 7:16 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
jiggins

My 2005 Dual Cab Hilux Garden Ornament will move again one day. :shock:

Yep... One Day. :roll:

Update: My 2005 Dual Cab Hilux Garden Ornament is back on the road. :shock:
jiggins
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Alby on Sun, 14 Jun 2009 6:29 +0000

It's funny how something round and black could demand so much attention...........you can't even argue about what the best colour is :lol:

BRAND. Mickey Thompson MTZ

TYRE SIZE. 265 / 75 / 16

TYPE. Mud terrain

SUSPENSION LIFT. Bilstein with King springs

RIM SIZE. 16 x 8 Dick Cepeck DC-1

WEAR, PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD Only done 2,000 klm so far but very happy with them, on the black top they behave very well and better in the wet than my previous Cooper ATR's. A bit noisy around the 80 k mark but nothing that I can't live with. Off road the increase in traction is quite noticable, have managed to get me further into the bush (and trouble) than i was previously able to go :lol:

WEBLINKS. You know where to find them

I previously had 265 / 70 / 16 Cooper ATR's that had done 50,000 klms and still have plenty of tread ( easy 10 or 15 klms left)
They performed very well on and off road although the MTZ are definately better in the wet on and off road.
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Next

Return to Tyres & Wheels