TYRE FITMENT & PERFORMANCE SURVEY. (Tyre bible Template)

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: TYRE FITMENT & PERFORMANCE SURVEY. (Tyre bible Template)

Postby Landmann on Mon, 15 Jun 2020 2:02 +0000

Byrnesey wrote:
Landmann wrote:
hiluxxury wrote:I thought I'd do an update on my tyres just for info. I've been running a set of Falken Wildpeak M/T 285/70 r17 and Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/65 r17 since this post in 2017. (I'll rotate the images shortly)

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3538&start=1300

From my log book, I've done about 25,000kms on the muds and 15,000kms on the AT3Ws.

The muds have mainly been used for trips. Every Xmas we head to Bright in Vic and come home via the Davies Plain/Mt Pinnabar area of the Vic alps. The muds have probably been up there 5 or 6 times. Those who dont know it, the trails are marked hard but I've seen numerous people towing trailers using late model 4wd on stock tyres etc (note Vic Parks don't want people taking trailers up there - some people however can't read the very clear signs or their self importance makes them exempt from and park directions).

I bought these tyres for our Canning Stock Route trip in 2018. Before the trip I thought muds were overkill but i bought them cheap so I was happy with that. By the time we started this trip, these tyres had been to the alps 3 times, so they weren't new.

The trip basically went from Cbr to Alice Springs - Tanami - CSR - Gunbarrel Hwy - Uluru - Simpson - Innamincka - Cbr... about 13,000kms all up (used 13ltrs/100kms averaged out across the trip).

Having muds on sand is certainly a little bit of a disadvantage as we were travelling with a Disco3 on BFG KO3s (265/65r18) and it was slightly better on the dunes. But I wouldn't have noticed if it was just me. On the CSR the tyres were happy at 15psi across all terrains, sometimes down to 12psi on the softer sand. We had torrential rain for a bit and at this point the muds showed their advantage over the BFGs in the conditions that followed.

At Innamincka I took these photos of the tyres. The BFGs were bought new for the trip. The Disco3 was about 500kgs heavier and used about 16ltrs/100kms averaged out over the 13,000kms. It is however a much more comfortable car to drive and had no mechanical issues.

The AT3Ws however are my dailys. So much safer than the muds... and a legal size ;) They are great in the wet and stop extremely well in all conditions.

The only 4wding I've done with these was the Ingeegoodbee Track in the Vic alps. Ran them as 20psi and had no problems.

Would I buy them again - yes. Price is always a factor for me, I think I paid $140 for the AT3W and $190 for the muds at the time. I doubt I'll get those prices again so I might be looking at something else come that time.
Hi.
I am thinking of buying a set of wildpeak at3w.
How are the noise level on them? New vs worn and vs stock and muddies etc [emoji16]
Thank you very much
Hey mate
I have the wildpeaks. Good tyres low noise and value for money. They work well on and offroad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks guys! Going to the tireshop this week and hope they can order them [emoji4] they won’t fit them if you havent bought the tires from them. Plus I like to shop locally [emoji106]

Wheel spinn is when you thought M+S meant it is a snow tire...
stock 3.2 pajero och 33” and 4-wheel spinn at 80km/h with just a little trottle [emoji16]
In Sweden we have something thats called undercold rain.
It means that it’s raining and the road surface is below freezing. Wich turns the roads to ice tracks [emoji16]
Landmann

Previous

Return to Tyres & Wheels