Drum brakes stop working after going offroad

Need something to get you rolling?

Drum brakes stop working after going offroad

Postby Kizz on Sat, 18 Feb 2017 12:46 +0000

Hi all,

Quick background, I've got a 2010 SR Hilux and since owning the vehicles I've had constant problems with the rear brakes not working. I've had the thing adjusted and tightened a number of times at the mechanic but within a few weeks the handbrake becomes loose and the rears stop working, meaning the front's only do the work.

I've been offroad a few times and the last time I did go through mud etc the brakes all round became dangerous. I took it in to the mechanic and basically had to get the drums replaced, machined and cylinders replaced as well. I basically destroyed my brakes from the mud and dirt etc.

Since then they've been working perfectly fine and the hand brake has had no issue. 5 clicks and it's locked on. I went off road again today and now they are back to being shit.. Handbrake doesn't stop the car from rolling back and the fronts are doing all the work again. I've washed both drums out and nothing but clean water is coming out of the bottom.

What the hell is going on with my brakes??? What have I done and why is the handbrake again not working nor the brakes??
Kizz

Re: Drum brakes stop working after going offroad

Postby flip9 on Sat, 18 Feb 2017 1:34 +0000

Open up the drum, check all the springs and handbrake mechanism is still in place.

Could also be mud inside thats turned to concrete seizing it up.
flip9

Postby William_Foster on Sat, 18 Feb 2017 2:54 +0000

Sorry I don't have an answer, but I've got a 2013 SR5 and had a similar issue with the handbrake but never noticed an issue with the rear brakes in driving (on or off-road). I've travelled a fair bit, so the car was always being serviced by different dealerships around the country, I mentioned it each time and it would be right for a few weeks then have the same problem; but at the 50,000km the dealer that time seemed to resolve the issue (no idea how, but its been over 10,000km and the hand brake is still working fine).
2013 Toyota Hilux SR5
4x4 Manual Diesel
William_Foster

Postby Kizz on Sun, 19 Feb 2017 8:12 +0000

Thanks for the advice guys. Really makes me mad as every time I go off-road I'm spending money on fixing something...
Kizz

Postby TOYZX on Sun, 19 Feb 2017 11:03 +0000

Mud and dirt=money! Ya wanna play in the stuff them ya gotta be prepared to do the maintenance!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby Kizz on Sun, 19 Feb 2017 11:59 +0000

took everything off, seemed a little dirty on the inside but otherwise not too bad..

Pads on the rear have scored and chips throughout, obviously dirt etc has gotten in and wrecked the pads, but the drums seem pretty smooth still.

I adjusted the drums at the back of the drum itself - will see how that goes. Brakes feel good for now.
Kizz

Return to Tyres & Wheels