Rattle After Drum/Shoe Replacement

Need something to get you rolling?

Rattle After Drum/Shoe Replacement

Postby apSlain on Fri, 17 Feb 2017 4:08 +0000

Hi all,

Just had a bunch of work done to the HiLux - flywheel, clutch (and associated parts), rotors, pads, drums, shoes; all replaced. On the way home I noticed that lower RPM right-hand turns were causing a loud rattle from the rear of the vehicle. I had my father act as scout and his opinion is that it's the rear driver tyre area. The noise is loud enough that right-hand turns near pedestrians are embarrassing, to say the least.

I had a look under the vehicle and can't spot any forgotten tools. Lugs are all pretty secure.

I'm bringing the vehicle back first thing in the morning but I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and can pinpoint a straightforward cause? First thought is the drum and shoe, obviously, and something being loose in there.

Cheers for any insights!
Check out Slain's Overlander, a perpetual work-in-progress.
apSlain

Re: Rattle After Drum/Shoe Replacement

Postby apSlain on Mon, 20 Feb 2017 5:38 +0000

Update: the noise worsened on Saturday and Sunday to clunks during reversing. Looked at other areas under the vehicle and found the centre support bearing bolts had loosened which introduced the clunk. I can't reproduce the clunk or tap after securing the bolts.
apSlain

Postby TOYZX on Mon, 20 Feb 2017 6:06 +0000

Sounds like whoever did the clutch left them loose! Atleast ya fou d it b4 the tailshaft fell out!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby apSlain on Tue, 21 Feb 2017 3:49 +0000

TOYZX wrote:Sounds like whoever did the clutch left them loose! Atleast ya fou d it b4 the tailshaft fell out!

Yep, you're on the money ;) They have taken full responsibility for that. However...

Update #2: During take-off and while holding gears a little longer (2,500RPM), I get a terrible rattle. During the shifting motion on the clutch (i.e. when the clutch is pressed), the noise/rattle gets very loud before settling down in the next gear. I can best replicate this by holding second gear up to 60km/h and shifting.

Car's been back with them since Monday and they're still diagnosing. Ripping it all apart has yielded nothing. Does anyone have any clue?

As per my first post, the work done was new rotors and pads up front and new drums and shoes on the rear as well as a new flywheel and clutch. The noise sounds like it's actually in-cab, passenger's side. Or, the transfer case shifter area. I even moved everything in the glove-box and had someone hold the dash together but nope, nothing.

What else...nothing really happened between the Friday and Sunday. The underbody was degreased and cleaned but with a garden hose - no high pressure water, and from afar.

I've got trust in the installers but I won't be seeing the car 'till Saturday (work trip all week); curiousity's got a hold of me though. :(

Mods, apologies if this thread is moving more towards the drivetrain sub-board.
apSlain

Postby TOYZX on Tue, 21 Feb 2017 3:56 +0000

Hooe they sort it man! Sounds like the tailshaft wasn't the only thing they left loose!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby apSlain on Fri, 24 Feb 2017 5:17 +0000

TOYZX wrote:Hooe they sort it man! Sounds like the tailshaft wasn't the only thing they left loose!

Cheers mate. Got the call yesterday - everything fixed and sorted under warranty. There was a problem with the clutch plate so a new one has been put in. They also fixed a transfer case leak for free - fantastic service.

One more leak to patch up now...
apSlain

Return to Tyres & Wheels