Brake upgrade, first impressions.

Need something to get you rolling?

Brake upgrade, first impressions.

Postby gtsteve on Mon, 12 Dec 2016 1:45 +0000

After developing a steering shimmy on braking with the van, after 100,000 klm, I upgraded to T2 front discs. This stopped the shimmy of course but I did not feel that the brakes were any better otherwise. I did not change the pads at this time. I was actually reasonably happy with the brakes until they warped anyway.
Then a week later I had fitted a second hand duel diaphram booster. I did not know if that should feel different somehow, but it did, I was disappointed it had longer pedal travel and felt softer.
Then a few days later again (today) I had second hand braided lines and ultimate pads fitted, somewhere else, for the final piece to the badly organized upgrade. The final result is very good, I'm very happy now. I think that the bloke who fitted the booster initially left a bubble in the lines, because the pedal is now high and hard as I expected that it should be, and requires less pressure to slow down, as would be expected.
Also I was very surprised that the Ultimates make such a positive difference even before being bedded in and at low speeds when cold, I only expected to feel a difference in performance after braking downhill with the van.
Although I was happy with the brakes before, they did fade a bit after long downhill braking with the van, I just drove accordingly and thought that it was normal. I haven't had the van on yet to see the difference there.
It is hard to tell how much of a difference the braided lines make in the mix.
Anyway with better discs, pads, booster and lines, not doing the work myself, it cost about a grand and is probably worth it, I will know the next time I go down Bulli pass or Mt.Ousley.
Steve & Liz

'09 SR5 Hilux diesel auto. Stanadyne primary fuel filter/water separator, Provent 200 oil/air separator, Rear camera, key/door buzzer killed, Long range fuel tank, Oil cooler and Snorkel.
gtsteve

Re: Brake upgrade, first impressions.

Postby TOYZX on Mon, 12 Dec 2016 3:21 +0000

Nice report man. What size rubber do you run? I run 285s and on my last trip descending from dargo high plain road down to bright I was stressing out the whole time wondering if I was goin over the next cliff or not when the brakes give out! I don't tow anything, just loaded with the usual camping gear. Brakes are pretty horrible but I drive accordingly but after a few ks of heavy downhill stuff they begin to fade quickly. When we got into bright the brakes smelt horrible and I was surprised the paint wasn't blistering on my wheels because you could have fried an egg on them! Am considering one of these boosters if they are still available.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby mitch_893 on Mon, 12 Dec 2016 6:00 +0000

TOYZX wrote:Nice report man. What size rubber do you run? I run 285s and on my last trip descending from dargo high plain road down to bright I was stressing out the whole time wondering if I was goin over the next cliff or not when the brakes give out! I don't tow anything, just loaded with the usual camping gear. Brakes are pretty horrible but I drive accordingly but after a few ks of heavy downhill stuff they begin to fade quickly. When we got into bright the brakes smelt horrible and I was surprised the paint wasn't blistering on my wheels because you could have fried an egg on them! Am considering one of these boosters if they are still available.

Bigger booster won't really help with brake fade. Just means the pedal requires less input. Most race cars run no booster. Only way to decrease brake fade is to fit bigger/slotted discs and quality pads. Use the engine to slow down as much as possible on a heavy descent.

Prado sized brakes is probably the most worthy upgrade. I'm waiting for a set to appear in front of me :lol:
06' D4D dual cab SR
Build thread

Cheers!
mitch_893

Postby TOYZX on Mon, 12 Dec 2016 6:10 +0000

Id rather not have to replace wheel when I do a brake upgrade!

TOYZX

Postby gtsteve on Mon, 12 Dec 2016 6:31 +0000

I have pretty much standard 255/70/15 for a '09.
Yes Mitch you are right, I do use the gears on down hills, too.
The whole wheel/prado brake upgrade is too dear for me.
The slotted T2's and Ultimates are probably sufficient for my purposes, regarding fade.
I will again drive according to the limits as they appear.
I'll let you know what they are after the next trip.
Steve & Liz

'09 SR5 Hilux diesel auto. Stanadyne primary fuel filter/water separator, Provent 200 oil/air separator, Rear camera, key/door buzzer killed, Long range fuel tank, Oil cooler and Snorkel.
gtsteve

Postby gtsteve on Thu, 15 Dec 2016 4:09 +0000

Well out in the rain for the first time, because I don't always let my tyres down after towing the van, I found that the new setup had me a bit anxious about locking up in the wet. The brakes are touchy even when cold and I have to be really careful to relearn that only soft pressure is now required. After years of braking like Fred Flintstone (sorry not everyone will get that analogy) - the foot through the floor - , I nearly locked up unintentionally a few times. I really should have fixed those brakes earlier. And I should go and let some air out to unladen levels now.
Steve & Liz

gtsteve

Return to Tyres & Wheels