Prado rims on SR5 with Toyo tyres

Need something to get you rolling?

Prado rims on SR5 with Toyo tyres

Postby Phil675 on Fri, 18 Mar 2016 6:49 +0000

Well, I've taken the plunge.
After being disappointed with the 15 inch standard size wheels on me 2010 Hilux, I thought I would chase after some 17 inch Hilux rims.
Generally they are advertised as a four or singly. So after the $1200 in Sydney, $1100 in Melbourne, $1000 here, there and everywhere for four.
I thought I would try a little more local. So set of calling around some of the local wreckers. I found 5 Prado, not Hilux rims for $1200. 3 as new, 2 slightly corroded.
Gave them a good wash, four of the wheels came with bald tyres, one had an almost new Coopers AT3. 265-65-17. So I thought I would look for four other Cooper tyres, feckin hell they are expensive, I want to drive not buy gold bars. Toyo sprang to the rescue with AT2 tyres at $230, alot cheaper than the $309 for Coopers.
Purchased four, had them fitted and oh what joy, after the last few months with the Bridgestone 840 H/T, screeching at every turn, whiteline and manoeuvre. The silence while driving was fantastic.
Phil675

Re: Prado rims on SR5 with Toyo tyres

Postby creagh on Thu, 24 Nov 2016 11:22 +0000

I know this thread is older, but I will concur Phil675, that it is the best thing I did for my 2010 SR5. Looked at everything around, I have a Prado '13 & 'Lux '14, all 17", so ran them as a trial for a week while one wasn't needed, (couldn't swap), made up my mind easily. Like you, found a set of 5, 4 with 60% Bridgestones from a Tyre place for $1100 off a 2015 Hilux, (+30 offset). The Bridgstone's are still going legal @ 9k, and no problems whatsoever, standard 'Lux running gear. Now with 3 vehicles with the same rims/tyres on the farm with a 60km trip to any services one can swap to get the best out of all. Looked at all the 3rd party rims, didn't like the options I saw & price. Read and read all the threads on this forum, that was a bit confusing at times, but on roads that only get graded once annually and out of a say 2500km ave monthly travel they would only see paved surfaces for 200km of that, plus some pretty rough farm work, I cannot say I've experienced ANY of the problems reported like clearances etc. Normal pressures we run on these roads & farm is 20-25psi on all vehicles, always pump up for a sustained bitumen trip.The set off the Prado had Toyo's & the other 'Lux BFG's, so will run with those when new is due. Speedo and GPS are now spot on, I recon also in general running around, economy has improved. Towing kicks back more noticeably, expected with some of the loads we pull. Might also look around for a extra to have as a fitted spare in the shed as a backup in a hurry, have experienced 2 flats on the same day over time.

So I'm not sure what the difference is in the 2 'Lux's, so cannot see why they didn't have 17" on from the start. Speedo/GPS are out on the newer units about the same as the '10 was originally. Both 'Lux's we throw a bag of sand in the back for improved ride, throw out when loaded, so after all this time am thinking of the aux tank above the spare tyre to compensate for the bag. The 80 series has the aux, recon that improves the ride when full. Have been quoted the tank with manual controlled pump, like the 80. Must admit the Prado spoils with the 150l odd. But that is another thread.

With 5 Toyotas on the property & one Falcon, guess what is used the most by all? Poor bugger last to the stables, !!!!!!!!!!! Even the women. But with all that, we have had Falcons for some 20 years anyway, but will go when convenient. The 2010 'Lux gets the bulk of the 'hard' work, next to the 80 series Cruiser. That is indestructible, even the 'roos and emus shy clear of it, not the 'Lux's.
creagh

Return to Tyres & Wheels