Black Wheel Nuts & Centre Caps

Need something to get you rolling?

Black Wheel Nuts & Centre Caps

Postby apSlain on Thu, 05 Nov 2015 8:19 +0000

Hey all,

I'm looking to source some black wheel nuts and centre caps for my 'Lux that's running 16x8 20P Gecko Steel Wheels. They are currently secured by the stock wheel nuts that the previous owner had on there. The tyre mob that fitted the wheels to the car didn't mention any fitting issues but I'm under the impression that steel wheels required a tapered wheel nut whereas the stock nuts currently securing my wheels are most likely ball radius. I'm currently experiencing some terrible vibrations so I'd like to get this sorted as soon as possible.

My questions here are these:
  • Where can I source some quality wheel nuts in black for the 'Lux? I've seen that Toyota charge around $200 for a full set (in chrome) whereas you can buy sets off eBay, automotive stores, etc. for a quarter of the price. Is there a quality difference here or is it just price gouging on Toyota's behalf?
  • Is there a difference between an acorn wheel nut and a tapered wheel nut? I've seen the terms used interchangeably but I've also seen some people saying they are used for different purposes. The manufacturer of my wheel sell wheel nuts but they're termed as acorn wheel nuts.
My other query was regarding the centre caps. Again, I want to black these out and am still in possession of my stock caps. Is my best bet to just paint these or are there some decent HiLux centre caps available in black?

Cheers!
Check out Slain's Overlander, a perpetual work-in-progress.
apSlain

Re: Black Wheel Nuts & Centre Caps

Postby NZMarkb on Thu, 05 Nov 2015 10:02 +0000

Any good tyre shop will be able to source them for you (they aren't that dear) from their supplier and they will be able to tell you what type you need
Sorry not sure about the caps
If your not prepared to stand behind our Troops
Then try standing in front of them
NZMarkb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby oggy on Thu, 05 Nov 2015 10:25 +0000

Could always plastidip your center caps then if you want to sell it with originals back on ,just peel it off.
Occupational health and safety officers..Stop messin with Darwin's theory of natural selection... Stupid hippies.

Oggy's build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=19033
oggy

Postby apSlain on Sun, 08 Nov 2015 1:21 +0000

oggy wrote:Could always plastidip your center caps then if you want to sell it with originals back on ,just peel it off.

Completely forgot about Plasti-Dip, that might be the go. Just gotta get them off without breaking them.
Check out Slain's Overlander, a perpetual work-in-progress.
apSlain

Return to Tyres & Wheels