spare wheel system

Need something to get you rolling?

spare wheel system

Postby martynvella on Sat, 24 Oct 2015 11:31 +0000

Has anyone ever had a problem with the spare under the tub with the standard system, just don't look strong enough to me and the wheel doesn't seem to be supported enough and rocks.

Anyone ever had one fail?
martynvella

Re: spare wheel system

Postby rory18 on Sat, 24 Oct 2015 12:05 +0000

Never seen or heard one giving out. I have a 33 on a steel wheel hanging off mine. Seen some serious corrugations
rory18
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sa_lux on Sat, 24 Oct 2015 3:25 +0000

I cant believe how hard they are to get out !!!

Would like to have 'someone' design a hang over the tail gate option - on the outside so I can put a water tank in as a replacement for the spare.
Looking to buy

- 54" Led Light Bar to Roof Rack mounting kit
- Roof Top Tent
- Tub Transformer (TT) -> http://ozutz.com.au
- e Lockers
- 12v / 240v Fridge -> http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221680219455

Roll on rolux
sa_lux

Postby Jacko9 on Sat, 24 Oct 2015 7:05 +0000

Nah its fine, As some photos have shown before, I work mostly on irrigation, so spend a fair bit of time dragging work hilux utes in and out of channels, head ditches, etc, bottoming out quite often due to carrying 205's of oil around (they are mobile workshops for laser buckets, scrapers, excavators, that sort of thing) and the spare tyre handles it alright, could probably do with some form of cross member like the old ones had, but they are going alright, the hilux utes out here have over 200,000km, and there haven't been any issues with the spares, all have trays, and we design the tailboard to either swing out for easy access, flip up, or a nice decent sized hole through there, we also use drills or something to get them up and down, makes it a lot easier :lol: Mostly, we don't use them, as they all have another spare on the headboard too.
Jacko9

Postby martynvella on Sun, 25 Oct 2015 3:34 +0000

Thanks for the replies fellas,

Yes it is a pain to use, I had a lot of trouble and that was on a level concrete floor, but then I have never used an under body spare that wasn't a pain. The Pregio van I owned had a cage, easy to drop down but couldn't slide the spare out without using the jack to lift the body a bit so the wheel cleared the tow bar.
All the more reason to run the same wheels on the trailer.

The experience has helped me decide to get the narrower ATs though, the standard tyres are surprisingly heavy so need more tooling than supplied by Toyota to get back on the studs on your own.

Jacko, your post revived a not so old memory I had blocked out, been 18 months since I had to work on a fleet of scrapers.
martynvella

Return to Tyres & Wheels