paint and peel (bunnings plasti dip) and rims

Need something to get you rolling?

paint and peel (bunnings plasti dip) and rims

Postby fracturedranga on Thu, 29 Jan 2015 6:44 +0000

hi everyone,
i picked up a set of patrol steelies the other day and after getting some stupid expensive quotes to get them cleaned up and painted or powdercoated ($100+ per rim) ive decided to paint them myself
so they had a fair bit of surface rust that i cleaned up with some 240 grit wet and dry
i then gave them a thorough clean and sprayed them with the paint and peel which is the bunning equivalent of plasti dip
it worked fine on some parts but in other it immediately cracked and looked crap
ignore the primer runs, my missus was bored so i got her to paint the inside with metal primer and she was a bit heavy handed with the paint
any ideas what would cause this? the can said it doesnt need priming, just clean up and spray however it clearly didnt work.
it is awfully hot and humid here in townsville at the moment, could this be the cause?
Any way ill sand that rim back and the rest im now priming after sanding off the surface rust
I think i might just give up on the plasti dip and get some black hammertone tomorrow and do that instead. anyone used hammertone on rims, how'd it come up?
If any painters have any tips it would be greatly appreciated as im clearly not a painter :D
cheers,
shaun
fracturedranga

Re: paint and peel (bunnings plasti dip) and rims

Postby Jeffro2012SR5 on Thu, 29 Jan 2015 7:15 +0000

I am no painter bud but have been doing abit over the last few weekends here in Mackay and yes the humidity is playing a major factor in the results you have got where possible paint in the cooler part of the day eg. Morning and when humidity is no greater then 50% which is near impossible this time of the year. An warmer and higher humidity paint takes longer to flash off and cure. I am assuming it would be the same for the plasti dip. Just some advis e from first hand experience and questioning some pros, as in painters not the other kind.

Cheers jeff
Jeffro2012SR5

Postby fracturedranga on Fri, 06 Feb 2015 8:08 +0000

just an update on this, i gave up on the plasti dip, i couldnt get it to work properly. I ended up painting them with metal primer then top coating with charcoal hammertone. came out pretty good in the end
fracturedranga

Postby Hawk15 on Wed, 30 Nov 2016 9:36 +0000

Hey mate,

Can you remember what brand of hammertone paint you used? I'm trying to match the charcoal grey (1E9 paint code) on my 2014 Dual cab with a hammertone paint for the alloy tray.

Cheers
Hawk15

Postby fracturedranga on Wed, 30 Nov 2016 11:00 +0000

It was just bunnings stocked rattle can paint, charcoal hammertone, think ive still got some in the shed ill have a look tomorrow and let you know
fracturedranga

Postby kixx on Tue, 06 Dec 2016 6:57 +0000

The plastidip doesn't last very long, especially if you're parked in the sun everyday. It eventually dries out, fades badly and loses its elasticity to be peeled off nicely. I had mine Plastidipped fluro orange for about 3 months.
N80 Touring Rig WIP
kixx

Postby ktm300 on Tue, 06 Dec 2016 9:11 +0000

fracturedranga wrote:just an update on this, i gave up on the plasti dip, i couldnt get it to work properly. I ended up painting them with metal primer then top coating with charcoal hammertone. came out pretty good in the end

Youll love those tyres , I do. they work well and take low psi to bag out as the side wall is so strong
ktm300

Return to Tyres & Wheels