Snapped wheel studs

Need something to get you rolling?

Weak wheel studs

Postby turbodiesel on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 3:22 +0000

Hi all, has anyone had any issues or stripped studs yet. I was told by the local tyrepower fitter when i last had tyres fitted that this was a proplem caused by over tightening and to keep an eye on them as they are weak.
Then just the other week a fellow i know had his rear wheel fall off at about 60km/h. He said all the studs snapped off. He's ute has about 100k k's and has had a few tyres replaced so this could be the cause..
has anyone else experianced anything similar of heard of??
I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
turbodiesel

Re: Weak wheel studs

Postby hilux xcab on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 5:14 +0000

had my left front come loose and break a stud last week local toyota dealer said rattle guns are the cause
cheers craig
hilux xcab

Postby hiluxdan on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 8:09 +0000

I got 2 sets of wheel/tyres that I swap around for wheelin', up to 95000km now with no hassles.
Dan
hiluxdan

Postby jamiecracker on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 8:57 +0000

over zealous tyre fitters are always breaking toyota studs
i have had several broken on every landcruiser that i have owned...havent had any broken on the lux...yet
jamiecracker

Postby pootrol on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 10:03 +0000

knob heads using rattle guns for final tighten. busted my valve trying to take mates front wheel off 2 days after he had new tires put on. either that or they dont tighten them enough which has happened to me twice.
See my face book page at. Custom canopies.
pootrol

Postby troyco on Mon, 21 Sep 2009 6:45 +0000

The same happened to me last set of muddies I purchased - I went to change them for some reason and retightening a bit and two snapped - I put it down to the rattle gun
Troyco
troyco

Postby turbodiesel on Mon, 21 Sep 2009 3:19 +0000

Yeah i hope thats all it is, The fella in the tyre power store showed me the tool they had to use by hand, he also put some type of paste on the studs, like and antisize/graphite...
I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
turbodiesel

Wheel studs breaking

Postby arbe on Mon, 03 May 2010 8:14 +0000

Hi
Recently returned from a 6500 trip - much of it on very bad dirt roads - and had the sobering experience of turning sharply into a parking bay, on our first day home, and on hearing a klunk at the right front found a broken stud and wheel nut on the ground. Looked at the wheel and could not believe my eyes as there was 1 nut still holding the wheel on...........5 of the STUDS had broken I HAD DRIVEN THE LAST 1000 km ON TAR AT UP TO 100 Kmh WITH ONLY TWO NUTS HOLDING THE WHEEL ON.

I am, in my opinion, a sensitive driver and generally drive to road conditions - I believe you treat a vehicle like you would a wife - gently...... so am absolutely bamboozled why it should have happened. The wheels are SR5 ones put onto my SR using the Toyota wheel nuts and there is no damage to the rims (as would be the case if the nuts were loose). The explanations offered so far by people in the trade are that it probably was a combination of over tightened nuts/bad corrugations/ and possibly hitting the odd bigger than normal hole in the road.

Have not taken it up with the dealer yet but intend to do so and was wondering if anyone out there has experienced similar problems...........

Needless to say I bought a Lotto - no luck though!!

Look forward to response

RB
Last edited by arbe on Mon, 03 May 2010 9:52 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
arbe

Re: Wheel studs breaking

Postby felix on Mon, 03 May 2010 8:43 +0000

Not sure if i remember correctly but i'm pretty sure one of the members here mentioned that the sr studs are shorter than the sr5 studs and so not as secure as wheel is held on only by a few turns of the nut when using the sr5 alloys
felix

Postby white.lux on Mon, 03 May 2010 9:50 +0000

What wheel nuts are you using?
I have an SR and have got a set on SR5 alloys fitted on it, when i got the alloys fitted the tyre shop said that I had to use genuine toyota wheel nuts to secure the alloys, the SR and SR5 nuts are very different.

Anthony
white.lux

Postby arbe on Mon, 03 May 2010 9:55 +0000

Am using the SR nuts, but as far as I can see it is more of a stud problem because it is the studs that are broken

Cheers

RB
arbe

Postby buggerlux on Mon, 03 May 2010 11:51 +0000

If a wheel has been changed, there is a very real possibility that any movement in the rim will put effectively stress on the studs and break them.

Sounds like the nuts if they are the incorrect ones for the rims can prove fatal. 6500 Kms will bring out any weakness in a vehicle especially on corrugations.

I purchased a new boat trailer doing the stretch from Exmouth to Coral bay on corrugations. When reaching about the 2/3 mark a friend approached from behind holding a dozen bolts in his hand. Because it was a new trailer the corrugations had rattled all the nuts off.

Luckily someone ad someone had locktite handy which secure the nuts on fresh steel.

If its one particular wheel then it sounds like there is a possibility one wheel wasnt secured enough.

Maybe not but it helps with the analysis.

Im kicking myself for not getting a photo on the same trip. There was a fellow in an 84 hilx tray back towing 4WDs and caravans on a triple axle trailer across the swollen Lyndon river a metre high and "moving" for $20 a pop. Would have made a great photo.

That same trip I had returned from 3000 kms journey to realise I had burnt out all the oil in the sump. Many fo the trips are a lot of kilometres in short time. It can be 3 months driving in a week on the worst roads.
buggerlux

Postby daveo on Mon, 03 May 2010 12:06 +0000

the SR5 wheel nuts are significantly different to the SR nuts.

as you can see in this terrible pic from my phone, the SR5 nuts protrude into the alloy rim and seat the rim properly.
daveo

Postby arbe on Mon, 03 May 2010 1:00 +0000

Between Anthony and Daveo I reckon the prob is solved - tks guys....

Just had a close look at the remaining SR nut and can now see how it does not seat correctly when I put my road tyres (on SR5 alloy rims) onto the vehicle.

Oh boy am I lucky

Anyone out there with a set of SR5 wheel nuts they have surplus.... - otherwise it is off to the dealer....

Thanks again

RB
arbe

Postby Banditt on Mon, 03 May 2010 2:39 +0000

I lost my front passenger wheel off the ute yesturday. pretty scary thing to happen. 3 studs broke the rest bent as they couldnt hold the wheel anymore. I have csa rims, and using wheel nuts recomended by the tire shop. But on closer inspection, you only get 5 1/2 turns of the nut until tight.

A bit worrying that the studs are so short. The nuts suit the wheels (go right into their hole) but def dont suit the hiluxs short studs.
Banditt

Postby MADDOG on Mon, 03 May 2010 2:53 +0000

Banditt wrote:I lost my front passenger wheel off the ute yesturday. pretty scary thing to happen. 3 studs broke the rest bent as they couldnt hold the wheel anymore. I have csa rims, and using wheel nuts recomended by the tire shop. But on closer inspection, you only get 5 1/2 turns of the nut until tight.

A bit worrying that the studs are so short. The nuts suit the wheels (go right into their hole) but def dont suit the hiluxs short studs.

Which CSA wheels? I've got Magnum's.
MADDOG

Postby Banditt on Mon, 03 May 2010 4:36 +0000

they are csa stampedes, i also have csa magnums on my 95 hilux and both sets use the same nuts? so yeah as mentioned they are the correct nuts for csa wheels but not for my sr studs. Wondering what to do now, go hunting for better nuts or to get new longer studs on each corner.

Luckily we were only traveling slow when it all happened but made one hell of a mess of the guard sill, piller and bonnnet. But yeah would have been a totallydifferent story if we were doing a hundred ks!!
Banditt

Postby boycee on Mon, 03 May 2010 5:49 +0000

One of the triton boys had a similar thing happen to his father and he rolled the car and the insurance company wouldnt pay out as the new rims were not hub centric therefore causing the nuts to break.

Hubcentric just means that the wheel sits on the hub not just the wheel nuts. I received an email from dynamic wheels saying that steel wheels dont need to be hubcentric but it is important that mag wheels are.

If your wheels are not hubcentric you can get your wheel manufacturer to rectify this with a hubcentric attachment.( not sure of the real term) :roll:

I am not sure how to bring the info over from newtriton but if you are a memeber there just search hubcentric. :oops:
Build it to use it!!!!!
boycee

Wheel studs breaking

Postby ultimate on Mon, 03 May 2010 6:49 +0000

Hi guys, just reading through this thread... we actually changed the studs on or sr hilux to longer ones for the piaa rims. It's not a hard job and gives you the extra security of more thread. I recommend it to anybody with an sr
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby camwill69 on Tue, 04 May 2010 3:50 +0000

Un fu%&(ng believable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
camwill69

Next

Return to Tyres & Wheels