Tyres wont balance - is it the hilux's fault?

Need something to get you rolling?

Tyres wont balance - is it the hilux's fault?

Postby white_hilux on Tue, 24 Jan 2012 11:38 +0000

I've be trying to hunt down the issue that im having trying to balance my tyres. It is driving me insaine. I've been to several different places and when i get the tyres back they still haven't been balanced and the car shakes and the steering wheel wobbles like you wouldnt believe. I called a 4wd tyre shop today and they think that the tyres/rims are balanced on the machine. but when i put them on the car, due to them being steel and a 15x8 rim with 0 offset, they think that that could be the problem as the hilux isnt meant to have such a negative offset from the original. As well as they are mounting on the hub properly and once tightened up are only being held in place by the wheel nuts. does that sound right?

Ive booked the car in on saturday for them to have a look at it and they told me over the phone that if they cant get them right then my best bet might be to go for an alloy 15x7 rim. what do you guys think? I have maxxis bighorn 32x11.5r15 tyres
Ben
2006 SR Extra Cab
2" lift, 32" Bighorns, F & R Diff Locked, Rock sliders, TJM Bullbar and Winch

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
white_hilux

Re: Tyres wont balance - is it the hilux's fault?

Postby Steve9R on Tue, 24 Jan 2012 12:10 +0000

what ? sounds dodgey..

I run 15" steelies no problems at all.. and i run -30 offset on my alloys no dramas..

so the tires and wheels have been balanced indivually ? (off the lux)
have you had a 4 wheel alignment ?

the other thing to check is that your discs are seated correctly.. i remember a while ago someone on here had a shuddering issue and it ended up being the front discs werent seated correctly..

just something else to check.. maybe measure the amount of wheel nut protruding through the disc to tell?

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby white_hilux on Tue, 24 Jan 2012 12:15 +0000

its weird because when i use my road set which are a set of alloy 16x7 +20 Prado rims all is fine and dandy. One other option i could go is just get rid of the steelies and buy a set of new mud tyres and put them on the prado rims......?
Ben
2006 SR Extra Cab

white_hilux

Postby Steve9R on Tue, 24 Jan 2012 12:17 +0000

well if its fine with one set of tires and not another.. then it HAS to be the tires..

maybe the tires themselves are 'out of round'.. or maybe like was posted a while ago there's water in the tires which makes it hard to balance and worse to drive as it sloshes around !

stranger things have happened..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby 4wd26 on Tue, 24 Jan 2012 12:25 +0000

I have a couple of different sets of rims tyres you could try, see if you can replicate the problem?
Just up the road in Thornlands
+38 offset 265/70/17 MTR
+15 offset 245/85/16 Simex peeds

both on alloys however- pm me
4wd26

Postby dans hilux on Tue, 24 Jan 2012 12:27 +0000

what brand steelies are you running mate?
I have the king rims in 15x7 with a -13 offset, like you i had the same issues with the shakes and after doing a search on here regarding the king rims, found that some of them were out of round :shock: . Recently had a new set of bgf km2 in 31/10.5 put on by jax quick fit and notified them that i had the shakes, "no worries we will take care of it".
Took it for a run down the freeway first thing and WALLAHHH...no more shakes :D :D
Other thing you can look at is to make sure your tyres have even wear all round, try rotating tyres around perhaps???
Good luck mate, let us know how you go.
cheers.
I dont speak fluent in idiot.......Speak slowly and clearly!!!
dans hilux

Postby CJY91LUXXY on Tue, 24 Jan 2012 12:43 +0000

I have the same problem Ben ive had mine rebalanced 3 times and still have death wobbles threw the steering wheel. I was told the same thing being 15x7 -13 offset steelies. I was told steelies are never true or perfect and that all muddies on steel wheels would do it. I think theres a thread on it somewhere.
When in fear, Lock, Stomp, And Steer!!

2008 Workmate -Tradie Rig
2007 Sr5-Daily
1989 Extra cab on 1984 Single cab chassis- Project.
CJY91LUXXY

Postby Dave on Tue, 24 Jan 2012 12:50 +0000

Steve9R wrote:well if its fine with one set of tires and not another.. then it HAS to be the tires..

maybe the tires themselves are 'out of round'.. or maybe like was posted a while ago there's water in the tires which makes it hard to balance and worse to drive as it sloshes around !

Might be onto the money there, I had a set of Maxxis tyres that had balancing issues (on my stock SR5 alloys) went to BFG's and had no more problems!
Dave
Site Admin

Postby white_hilux on Tue, 24 Jan 2012 1:00 +0000

well when i go down to the my local tyre shop i can get them to tell me whether the problem is the rims or the tyres. either way it is driving me nuts and i will fix the problem. usually i really look forward to driving but not at the moment.
Ben
2006 SR Extra Cab

white_hilux

Postby white_hilux on Tue, 24 Jan 2012 1:02 +0000

4wd26 wrote:I have a couple of different sets of rims tyres you could try, see if you can replicate the problem?
Just up the road in Thornlands
+38 offset 265/70/17 MTR
+15 offset 245/85/16 Simex peeds

both on alloys however- pm me

im pretty sure after seeing some of your pics the +15 offset rims are the same prado rims i have
Ben
2006 SR Extra Cab

white_hilux

Postby jaypes on Tue, 24 Jan 2012 1:17 +0000

how worn are the m/t's?

i had a similar problem with my 31' federal couragia m/t...turned out that when m/t's start to wear out some of the lugs in the tyre wears more than others therfore making one lug higher and one lug smaller creating death wobbles at speed.. i didnt change my tyres then but i did rotate them and cuz the back tyres were smoother than the front my wobbles disappeared for a period of time...still have them on my car now tho lol

that could be your problem?
jaypes

Postby white_hilux on Tue, 24 Jan 2012 1:20 +0000

jaypes wrote:how worn are the m/t's?

i had a similar problem with my 31' federal couragia m/t...turned out that when m/t's start to wear out some of the lugs in the tyre wears more than others therfore making one lug higher and one lug smaller creating death wobbles at speed.. i didnt change my tyres then but i did rotate them and cuz the back tyres were smoother than the front my wobbles disappeared for a period of time...still have them on my car now tho lol

that could be your problem?

they still have about 80-90% of the tread left. I've only rotated them twice as i have only done about 10,000kms in 7 months
Ben
2006 SR Extra Cab

white_hilux

Postby pisso01 on Tue, 24 Jan 2012 1:48 +0000

white_hilux wrote:As well as they are mounting on the hub properly and once tightened up are only being held in place by the wheel nuts. does that sound right?

What do you mean by this? Are the wheels hub centric? IE: is the center bore hole on the wheel the same size as the centering ring on the hub. I dono if it would affect your balance but if they are not you should take the wheels back to where you got them and tell them they supplied you wheels which don't fit your car. It will put too much stress on your wheel studs.

I had a balancing issue with my prado wheels. My local tyre guy ended up getting a special adapter for his machine which fit the wheels better. Since they used it the balance has been perfect every time.

Search for King wheel problems or something someone had some problems with their King steelies and ended up getting them replaced because they were out of round. Apparently King don't have good enough tolerances..

Cheers,

Chris.
My touring Lux - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=7795 - Nearly finished
pisso01

Postby scherffy on Tue, 24 Jan 2012 3:01 +0000

hey have seen this before....
if you can watch them ballance the wheels take note of the rim, i have tyre fitting and balancing gear i use everyday at work you can balance the tyre to the rim but if the rims are buckled you will get a shake through the steering wheel even if the rims are perfectly balanced.
scherffy

Postby wyworrie on Tue, 24 Jan 2012 3:34 +0000

This is getting close to the problem. I had similar shakes and took it to several places, finished up at widetread in Ferntree gully and they cured all shakes. They check the run out of the rims and tyres, then rotate the tyres on the rim according to the run out. Then balance and it's perfect. Second set of tyres did the same thing and cured in the same way
wyworrie

Postby sirlux on Tue, 24 Jan 2012 3:52 +0000

I've got brand new 32 inch km2's on steel rims, I've been getting
The shakes quite badly at 70kmh all the way to 110'ish.
I've taken them back once to Wide Tread and had them rebalanced
And had no luck. I'll be trying another tyre shop within the
Next fortnight and hopefully will have some luck.
Keep us updated on your progress...
sirlux

Postby Jack S on Tue, 24 Jan 2012 4:17 +0000

The brake disc (rotor) might be warped and is causing the shudder...
This will happen if its gotten too hot or if they were hot and colded quickly (like going through a puddle or rivver crossing)...
It might be nothing to do with the wheels/tyres!
Jack S

Postby cmilton54 on Tue, 24 Jan 2012 4:36 +0000

Are your wheels being balanced on fingers, or only on centre cone on machine. If balanced with locating fingers and centre cone should be OK with balance. If only on centre cone then can be out when refitting to vehicle as centre bore can be out on white wheels.
Hope this helps
Charlie
cmilton54

Postby Steve9R on Tue, 24 Jan 2012 6:26 +0000

Jack S wrote:The brake disc (rotor) might be warped and is causing the shudder...
This will happen if its gotten too hot or if they were hot and colded quickly (like going through a puddle or rivver crossing)...

nah.. then his other set of wheels would do the same thing and they're not..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby BAT091 on Tue, 24 Jan 2012 6:32 +0000

Jack S wrote:The brake disc (rotor) might be warped and is causing the shudder...

He said earlier it's only his m/t set playin up and his a/t set is sweet.. So it's gotta be his wheels/Tyres ??
Cheers Kirk

BAT091 LUX BUILD THREAD
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=10014
BAT091

Next

Return to Tyres & Wheels