Tyres wont balance - is it the hilux's fault?

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: Tyres wont balance - is it the hilux's fault?

Postby white_hilux on Wed, 25 Jan 2012 5:37 +0000

cmilton54 wrote:Are your wheels being balanced on fingers, or only on centre cone on machine. If balanced with locating fingers and centre cone should be OK with balance. If only on centre cone then can be out when refitting to vehicle as centre bore can be out on white wheels.
Hope this helps
Charlie

im not sure which method they are using as I have been to several places to get them done and everytime is get them back they still wobble. i will ask on saturday and hopefully work out the problem
Ben
2006 SR Extra Cab
2" lift, 32" Bighorns, F & R Diff Locked, Rock sliders, TJM Bullbar and Winch

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
white_hilux

Postby Jack S on Wed, 25 Jan 2012 6:10 +0000

:oops: sorry guys, I didnt actually read the whole thread, so I missed that bit!
So therefore Kirk you would be right, it would have to be either the wheels or Tyres if it's only that set. Have they split the Tyres from wheels to check if anything is inside, mud, water etc...
Jack S

Postby white_hilux on Wed, 25 Jan 2012 6:23 +0000

it was doing it as soon as i bought both the rims and tyres last year. both were brand new and it was doing it from the get go. i spoke to the rim provider last night (not going to name names) and they are going to do their best to possibly find a resolution. They informed me that when i recieved my set of rims they were having a bit of trouble with quality control and a few rims that might not be round etc might have got through. I looked at the rims last night as i was instructed and saw that on the inside of some of them, they had wheel weights of between 45 and 105 grams which is a fair bit. But on the other hand they also said that due to the Maxxis being a cheaper tyre that it could be them which is what some have already suggested
Ben
2006 SR Extra Cab

white_hilux

Postby BAT091 on Wed, 25 Jan 2012 6:24 +0000

Jack S wrote::oops: sorry guys, I didnt actually read the whole thread, so I missed that bit!
So therefore Kirk you would be right, it would have to be either the wheels or Tyres if it's only that set. Have they split the Tyres from wheels to check if anything is inside, mud, water etc...

Your right mate, beers on you ;)
Cheers Kirk

BAT091 LUX BUILD THREAD
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=10014
BAT091

Postby Steve9R on Wed, 25 Jan 2012 7:21 +0000

ahh.. i got some sneak footage of them balancing your wheels.. I think i found what the problem is ;

:lol: :lol:
Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby snow on Wed, 25 Jan 2012 8:35 +0000

Hey Ben, i have the same issues with mine, a 15x8 infinity rim. Running a 31x10.5x15 Wrangler M/T. I've been told it's the tyres.
snow
snow

Postby danmcccc on Wed, 25 Jan 2012 8:47 +0000

alrighty charlie mentioned it before, i believe its down to the balancing machine...the shop you are using is probly balancing them from the centre hole (for the hub) in the rim when they need to be balanced from the stud holes...different machines can do both or either of...

on another note, a mate on facebook balance a set of Bias ply creepy crawlers and posted a pic of the rim with 400g of weight on one side of the rim :lol: drove perfectly aparently

Dan
old enough to know better...young enough to not give a f**k

MY KILLER BUILD THREAD
viewtopic.php?t=9235
danmcccc

Postby cmilton54 on Thu, 26 Jan 2012 7:55 +0000

We balance all our tyres with fingers and centre cone, 105 grams is not a lot as large tyres and weight in near centre has to compensate for outer weight problem on circumferance of tyre. Hope you get your problem sorted.
Cheers
Charlie
cmilton54

Postby bairdy380 on Tue, 31 Jan 2012 9:44 +0000

Mate, same issue and its been narrowed down to runout on the tyre....rims dialled up perfectly (Steelies)
Finally found a guy who seemed to know what he was on about....he says a common issue is when tyres are fitted that occasionally a side wall belt may be internally damaged during fitment...but to check you need to remove tyre from the rim (Mine were swapped on three rims in the early days...so the theory is plausible)
He adjusted camber and castor and put the bad runouts (7 out of 10) on the rear and moved the ok (2 out of 10) its their scale to the front. 98% improvement to shudder. My final plan is a quick (one week) swap back to hwy standard just to reconfirm to myself that I havent bent anything.
History of my lux
std - no shake
sr5 rim with 32's - no shake
steelies with 32's - 2nd fitment - 1st didnt clear caliper - shake at 90 - 100 km
balance and aligned 4 times
Final time, the guy went through the runout figures and explanation, minor shake at 95 -100 km
Interesting point of note, my front left does not scub any longer since last alignment (Interesting becuase he said my front left was way out! thus the adjustment)
bairdy380

Postby Ggn25 on Tue, 31 Jan 2012 3:59 +0000

I have seen a few king rims have this issue. 1 vehicle we put oem steel rims on and it was fine.
(rim issue)
As others said 105gms isn't much I have seen up to 200gms.

I run xhp 20's with bfg's 275/55r20 , they were fitted by the previous owner. I had crap Laos of trouble getting them to balance. Tried myself to balance them . We're perfect on the machine but not on the road.Sent the rims to beaurepairs. Still no good.
Took the whole vehicle there twice and got told its the big rims . Nothing we can do - bullshit a truck doesn't run 13's ????. Refused to give a refund .. Stuff them .
Took to another tyre place to get an on car balance and no bloody good- WTF
Spoke to the partner of a local tyre power and explained the issue, my thought was not centralized on the hub.
Checked the balanace and road tested. Returned and searched his little box of tricks and plucked out 4 plastic hub spacers. Fitted them to the rims , only 1 -2 mm thick and the car is like bloody new.
Job done , only to 7 attempts by 3 tyre places and myself ..
Ggn25

Postby white_hilux on Mon, 13 Feb 2012 5:30 +0000

went to see the rim provider on saturday and he determined that they were just extremely hard to balance. The tyres and rims were all round which was good. He tried some kind of special way of balancing them that has worked for special cases before. they still arent 100% but pretty bloody close with just the smallest bit of a wobble compared to the way they were before and I can happily live with the way they are now :D
Ben
2006 SR Extra Cab

white_hilux

Postby Steve9R on Mon, 13 Feb 2012 5:40 +0000

i know when i had my last set of tires fitted they had a lot of trouble balancing them.. after the normal rotating tires on rims etc, they them removed and put the tires on different rims until they got them right.. just depends on how dedicated the fitters are I spose.

Lyndsays Tires FTW :)

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby Goldminer on Mon, 13 Feb 2012 6:52 +0000

I have ROH black track rims an have had no end of trouble trying to balance them. Turns out two were bent from out of the box. When I say bent I mean out of round with the centre not aligned to the outer rim. The ROH rep said "it's the hilux offset which is the problem, too much rim inside the mounting surface. " I said to him the how come my alloys don't have this problem and neither do my oem rims. His best solution was to sell me two new rims at cost price. I am supposed to get my bridgestones balanced every 5k but every time I do it takes two or three balances to get them right, so sick of that. Turns out all rim manufactures that I have spoke to ROH king and speedy all use recycled steel to make their rims. This why the quality sucks. Next stop alloy rims. I hear allied rims are the strongest aftermarket rims. Followed by ROH Trojan. At least we know that they will be round out of the box because they are machined not pressed.
Cheers
Goldminer

Postby GreenHilux Guy on Mon, 13 Feb 2012 8:24 +0000

My mt classic lock rims are a deadest nightmare to balance. Ten adding 33 mtz's well they may as well be squares.

My front left rim has had the fake bead lock threaded so the ring won't stay attached.

Had it balanced without and it required more than 500 grams of weight to balance. Again may as well have taped a brick to the thing.

Anyway about every two weeks some of the weight will come flying off at incredible speeds and make a huge exploding sound on the underside of the car.

Love the look of the classic lock but I certainly would never ever buy them again.
GreenHilux Guy

Postby alanj on Tue, 14 Feb 2012 11:51 +0000

Had the exact same problem with black steelies. tyre guy said they sometimes go through 60 sets of rims to find four that will spin straight. it is definately the rims. i put black speedy grande 16x7 alloys on and they are perfect.
alanj

Postby blownlux on Fri, 17 Feb 2012 12:25 +0000

i dont know if this has been mentioned but get some hub centric rings , this is what was wrong with my king rims. check the gap around the centre of the rim and the hub when they are on the car and see if the gap is even all the way around if not then the 6 studs are not holding the rim central.
i have seen this many times.
blownlux

Postby Scoobalimalima on Thu, 14 Jun 2018 9:24 +0000

I know this is an old thread but I thought it might be a good place to start.

Does anyone know what these hub centric rings are that the previous post mentioned? Are they generic or specific to each wheel/car brand?

I have King Steelies 17x8 and Cooper AT3s 265/70/17s

EVER since I have had these from new my steering wheel shakes like mad around 95-105 km/h!! I just come back from a trip down to Margaret River and it felt like I’d been holding onto a plate compactor for hours on end, bloody horrible!!

I’ve taken it back to the place where I bought them twice now and they say they’re balanced fine, which they’re clearly not.

Can anyone in Perth preferably NOR recommend a business and or contact person that actually knows what they’re doing that can help me out here. I’ve read stories about issues with the King rims but surely if the rim is located correctly on the balancer (same as it would sit on the hub) that they should be no issue to balance!

I assume that the rim should be located on the balancer via ‘fingers’ as opposed to a centre cone arrangement??

I had OEM 17’s on my 2015 D4D when I bought it with 25k on the clock and had no issues then.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Cheers

SLL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scoobalimalima

Postby bairdy380 on Fri, 15 Jun 2018 7:27 +0000

Hey mate, I had a nightmare with steelies. Had them checked balanced, wheel aligned etc 3+ times...every time. Nah mate everythings balanced, all good. Hit 90 - 100km...thought I was going to shake a 1/4 panel off.
Finally found a tyre place that had who they called the 4x4 steelie guru. He checked everything out and bingo...one rim out of round. Took that one off the rig ( we did move it to rear, but it was still enough to feel through the vehicle) So now I have it as the spare...not a perfect world, but I know it's not 100% if I have to use it.
Talking to the guy he reckons if he finds 1 in 5 perfectly in round and balanced, he is having a good day.
I was amazed. This took me well over a year to get sorted. But as soon as they found that one rim...bingo.
(The guy is in Melbourne...so that doesnt help you a great deal...but your story matches mine 100%)
bairdy380

Postby Tyler1993 on Fri, 15 Jun 2018 7:29 +0000

I’m in the same boat Mate multiple places have balanced them and said they are fine. starting the think it’s the rims for sure.
(Mine are also kings..)

Tyler1993

Postby Scoobalimalima on Sat, 16 Jun 2018 7:41 +0000

Cheers for the info guys.

That’s a real bugger about the Kings rims [emoji35]

But surely someone out there in Perth can recommend someone who can help me out!

SLL

Scoobalimalima

PreviousNext

Return to Tyres & Wheels