TYRE FITMENT & PERFORMANCE SURVEY. (Tyre bible Template)

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: TYRE FITMENT & PERFORMANCE SURVEY. (Tyre bible Template)

Postby 10 luxxxx on Wed, 10 Jul 2013 3:24 +0000

Has anyone had falken wild peak at looking at them for my next set of tyres I got quoted a good price for 32/11.5 15. $ 270 each.
10 luxxxx

Postby aandy on Wed, 10 Jul 2013 5:16 +0000

After fitting bfg km2 a month ago I just don't know why I ever went with bfg all terrains, have just driven sydney to Gold Coast and even at 110kmh they are quiet (ish) about as noisy as a worn out set of all terrains. If wear is ok there is no chance I'd go back to all terrains.

265 70 17
aandy

Postby MrJETWAVE on Fri, 12 Jul 2013 3:52 +0000

2012 Toyota SR Hilux

TYRE SIZE: 265/70R16

TYPE: Toyo "Open Country A/T"

SUSPENSION LIFT: No, stock suspension

RIM SIZE: CSA Stampede RV 16x8, 00 offset

WEAR, PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD: only just put them on a hour ago, but gotta be better than stock! :lol:

MrJETWAVE

Postby Gulfstream8 on Tue, 23 Jul 2013 8:16 +0000

10 luxxxx wrote:Has anyone had falken wild peak at looking at them for my next set of tyres I got quoted a good price for 32/11.5 15. $ 270 each.

Hello 10 luxxxx

The top 5 4x4 magazines in the USA have rated these the best A/T’s for the price around.

Im not sure if I can post direct links to these magazines but if you Google Falken USA I think they have placed all the links to these websites.

I have only found 2 critical comments for you on these Tyres.

1. While the lateral traction on dirt roads is awesome the “Skid Stop” on “dirt” is longer than most
2. Because of their design once they wear down they lose allot of their off-road grip

I have used Falkens on my Track Cars and they have always returned good grip levels and wear.
Gulfstream8

Postby 10 luxxxx on Tue, 23 Jul 2013 8:34 +0000

Thanks mate I might give them a go I have read all of the articles you are referring to. But the stupid side of me says why not just get muddies :twisted:
Decisions decisions.
10 luxxxx

Postby Gulfstream8 on Wed, 24 Jul 2013 9:58 +0000

10 luxxxx wrote:Thanks mate I might give them a go I have read all of the articles you are referring to. But the stupid side of me says why not just get muddies :twisted:
Decisions decisions.

Yep I’m in the same boat (Thinking Muddies) – my A/T’s are almost due as well.

But reality kicks in and I use my truck for work so she is on the road a lot!

Plus most of the bush trips I do are on dirt roads and fire trails and I know from experience a good A/T with open shoulders is safer at speed on these types of roads. Its only when you get into the serious stuff the Muddies are unbeatable.

Just my experience I’m sure others might disagree but I would prefer to be on a good A/T at 80 to 100 on hard dirt roads than a muddy.
Gulfstream8

Postby 10 luxxxx on Wed, 24 Jul 2013 10:14 +0000

Yeh mate just what I've been thinking I'm in wa and travel up north a lot so have decided on ats the faulken wild peak have good reviews so will give them a go. In a 32/11.5 r15.
10 luxxxx

Postby Gulfstream8 on Wed, 24 Jul 2013 12:17 +0000

Mate I would really love to hear your feedback on these as I’m only weeks away from new Tyres.

My Michelin LTX A/T’s in LT are not available anymore - I got 135,000klms out of them and that might be why!

I’m a not real keen to go back to BFG

Cheers
Gulfstream8

Postby jaybags on Wed, 24 Jul 2013 12:33 +0000

x2 on the wild peak feedback.
Cheers,
Jay

My (super slow) build - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=20120
jaybags

Postby 10 luxxxx on Wed, 24 Jul 2013 12:53 +0000

Gulfstream8 wrote:Mate I would really love to hear your feedback on these as I’m only weeks away from new Tyres.

My Michelin LTX A/T’s in LT are not available anymore - I got 135,000klms out of them and that might be why!

I’m a not real keen to go back to BFG

Cheers

I will let you know they go on tomorrow and hope to get out over the next week to let them down
10 luxxxx

Postby dhexsther on Thu, 25 Jul 2013 12:46 +0000

BRAND. Kumho Road Venturer Kl78

TYRE SIZE. 265 x 75 x 16

TYPE. All Terrain

SUSPENSION LIFT. Raw nitro

RIM SIZE. 16x7

WEAR, PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD : So far so good happy with the performance wet and off road. Value for money. Lifetime wheel rotation and alignment.

dhexsther

Postby Rynosaur81 on Fri, 26 Jul 2013 6:07 +0000

2012 Toyota SR5 Hilux

TYRE SIZE: 265/65R17

TYPE: Falken Wild Peaks AT

SUSPENSION LIFT: TJM 2" Gold Lift Kit

RIM SIZE: SR5 Hilux Alloy

WEAR, PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD: I have had the Falken WP's since new and done over 8000 kms. Performance wise I am pretty happy with them, had no trouble in the wet for the missus around town and the basic off road trips I have done including water, mud, rock, drinking beers out the back of town in the bush, has not worried them a bit.

Wear wise, well they are showing a little and I do push them hard. A mate and I noticed that despite regular maintenance and alignment, there is a little inner tyre wear even with tyre pressure being kept up to them. That maybe more a Hilux thing. They are still quiet and I hope they remain so a lot longer.

Overall they are are a great priced tyre. I do plan to look at some more better know brand muddies down the track and keep these as my running about ones, and that is where I ultimately think they sit. For the man about town who does the weekend warrior stuff, they are a great price and so far so good. For a second set of tyres for the serious adventurer they are perfect too.

Despite only having them for 8000 kms I would give them 8/10. If they hold up over time, I would bump that score up. They do offer white lettering if that's your thing, but only in certain sizes, so check their charts.

Cheers

Ryno
Rynosaur81

Postby Buildermick on Tue, 13 Aug 2013 10:53 +0000

Pirelli Scorpion ATR

275/65R17 on 2010 Hilux SR5 4x4
Factory MY11 Upgrade 17x8 inch wheels.

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/au/en/suv/s ... n_atr.html

M/S Non Directional. Load Rating 115T

Factory Suspension

Theoretically a 10mm increase in width and 13mm increase in height and they do scrub, but only on the front bumper which means anyone with a bumper removal style bull-bar would be completely legal.
Big improvement on the Michelin factory fit tyres on-road in wet and dry conditions, and incomparably better off-road. they are obviously no Baja Claw but overall I am extremely happy with the first 5000km.
The Michelins were a very squeally tire, not very loud onroad, but on concrete and slow speed hard surfaces they were down right embarrassing. Not so with these new Pirellis.
Paid $300 each including nitrogen, extra for a front end wheel alignment.
Probably at least a extra 0.5-0.7L per 100km in diesel consumption since fitment, pretty run of the mill for a much heavier tire and the 2% increase in actual travelled distance compared to recorded distance.
Visually looks tougher but still all black sidewalls to keen it low key.
If you want to advertise on my car, you better be paying for the privilege!
Buildermick

Postby Buildermick on Tue, 13 Aug 2013 10:56 +0000

Gulfstream8 wrote:My Michelin LTX A/T’s in LT are not available anymore

I Staked one of my factory Michelins in early 2011 and was told they never imported that tyre to Australia for whatever reason so pick another tyre and fit it up as a spare until the others wear out.
If you want to advertise on my car, you better be paying for the privilege!
Buildermick

Postby Diezel45 on Wed, 14 Aug 2013 2:22 +0000

Was just wondering, I'm looking at getting tyres this week. I only want to get 265/75's at this stage but I want to move up to 285's after this set. I know that +10 offset is good for 285's but they require some chopping but if I only get 265's on a +10 offset I won't have to cut anything? Is this right? Just so I don't have to buy new rims as well when I move up a size. Also, do 285's fit on a 16x7 or would I need a 16x8?
All the gear, With no idea

My Build - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=18831&hilit=allrounder
Diezel45

Postby dute on Mon, 19 Aug 2013 2:47 +0000

Bumped back up.
FCCW

inside Dute's black hole

"Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill"
dute

Postby DAVE07 on Tue, 20 Aug 2013 6:04 +0000

2012 Toyota SR5 Hilux

TYRE SIZE: 265/70 R17

TYPE: BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2

SUSPENSION LIFT: Ironman 2.5 inch lift

WEAR, PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD: I've just clicked over 10,000 kms on these tyres and so far they are wearing very well. To be honest they still look new to me and at my last service 1000 km ago the mechanic said ive got 95% tread left. Most of there life is on the road with only the occasional weekend trip away or on the tracks once a month. On the road they are a great tyre, handles well in both wet and dry, I've never had any scary situations. There is a slight hum at around 80km an hour but nothing more than my mates lux who is running A/T's. i was initially scared about going to the muddies as im not a hardcore off roader, and i didnt want anything to jeapordise the safety of my vehicle as it carries the family around but very glad i did and will definitely do it again. In the mud they are a great tyre, i was up at toolangi before the tracks closed and they ballooned out well and kept up with the locked rigs on 33s. The only thing i was slightly disappointed with was that they chipped a bit when slipping up some jagged rocks up in mount terrible. I think that i probably should have let the tyres down more and probably not have mashed the accelerator as much. So im more to blame on that rather than the tyre. All in all if your tossing up between muddies and a/ts my advice would be go the muddies. They look awesome and perform even better... Even if you spend most of your time in the black stuff like me ;)
DAVE07

Postby robert.campbell5 on Sat, 24 Aug 2013 5:15 +0000

BRAND: Summit Mud Hog (Known as Kanati Mud Hog in the USA)

TYRE SIZE: 31x10.5 R15 109Q

TYPE: M/T

SUSPENSION LIFT: 2" TJM XGS Gold Lift.

RIM SIZE: Dynamic Sunraysia 15x7 +7 Offset.

WEAR and PERFORMANCE ON + OFF ROAD: I have had these tyres fitted for just over 1000km so can't comment on wear yet. On-road performance is great compared to my old GT Adventuro A/T2's. They grip very well in the dry and I have not had any slipping on the rear yet in the wet. Even on hill starts. They are no more noisy than my old tyres were onroad.

Offroad these tyres are excellent. I must say they are my first ever mud tyres but I am very impressed with them. They self clean very quickly after going through wet sloppy mud or sticky clay. I havn't yet had these on sand.

Sidewalls seem quite strong. They don't bag out too much at 20psi which I consider a good thing. Traction on rocks is quite good.

They were balanced very well first go and seem to take about 60-70g per wheelset.

PHOTOS:

robert.campbell5

Postby jogal on Sat, 24 Aug 2013 6:13 +0000

DAVE07 wrote:2012 Toyota SR5 Hilux

WEAR, PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD: I've just clicked over 10,000 kms on these tyres and so far they are wearing very well. To be honest they still look new to me and at my last service 1000 km ago the mechanic said ive got 95% tread left. Most of there life is on the road with only the occasional weekend trip away or on the tracks once a month. On the road they are a great tyre, handles well in both wet and dry, I've never had any scary situations. There is a slight hum at around 80km an hour but nothing more than my mates lux who is running A/T's. i was initially scared about going to the muddies as im not a hardcore off roader, and i didnt want anything to jeapordise the safety of my vehicle as it carries the family around but very glad i did and will definitely do it again. In the mud they are a great tyre, i was up at toolangi before the tracks closed and they ballooned out well and kept up with the locked rigs on 33s. The only thing i was slightly disappointed with was that they chipped a bit when slipping up some jagged rocks up in mount terrible. I think that i probably should have let the tyres down more and probably not have mashed the accelerator as much. So im more to blame on that rather than the tyre. All in all if your tossing up between muddies and a/ts my advice would be go the muddies. They look awesome and perform even better... Even if you spend most of your time in the black stuff like me ;)

Are u getting any rubbing anywhere?
jogal

Postby DAVE07 on Tue, 27 Aug 2013 7:00 +0000

jogal wrote:
DAVE07 wrote:2012 Toyota SR5 Hilux

Are u getting any rubbing anywhere?

None at all mate
DAVE07

PreviousNext

Return to Tyres & Wheels