Steel wheel bore larger than hub diameter?

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: Steel wheel bore larger than hub diameter?

Postby apSlain on Tue, 22 Sep 2015 10:27 +0000

Can anyone confirm the hub size for an '06 HiLux SR (4WD D/C)? Is it the 106mm as mentioned here?

I'm also picking up some Gecko steelies tomorrow and will probably invest in some hub-centric rings. Are these something that every tyre shop should know about/stock/etc.?

Couldn't find any official word on the centerbore of the Gecko wheels either. Might have to entrust the tyre place on this one...
Check out Slain's Overlander, a perpetual work-in-progress.
apSlain

Postby TRDLuxxy on Sat, 26 Sep 2015 11:15 +0000

Its 106mm, won't need hub centric rings if the wheel is lug centric (tapered or ball) which I doubt those rims are?
TRDLuxxy

Postby rory18 on Sat, 26 Sep 2015 11:54 +0000

those geckos have either 111mm or 110mm bore to suit patrols. I had to buy 110mm- 106mm hub centric rings for my infinity rims
rory18
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rory18 on Sat, 26 Sep 2015 11:57 +0000

rory18
Platinum Subscriber

Postby apSlain on Sat, 26 Sep 2015 5:23 +0000

Thanks rory18, I was looking at those earlier. I'm going to try and confirm with Gecko what the centrebore is.
apSlain

Postby apSlain on Mon, 28 Sep 2015 8:41 +0000

rory18 wrote:those geckos have either 111mm or 110mm bore to suit patrols. I had to buy 110mm- 106mm hub centric rings for my infinity rims

Got a pretty prompt response from Gecko Wheels this morning.

You're correct; Gecko Steel Wheels are a 111mm centrebore. The representative also stated that the hubs of the HiLux are 106.5mm in size. They have hub-centric rings available to purchase from their office but they have no card facilities. They're cheap too - $3 per if I recall correctly - but that's 'cause they're plastic :|

Is it safe to say that purchasing a set of these will do fine? I don't know how much that extra .5mm matters.
apSlain

Postby Richolux150 on Wed, 30 Sep 2015 6:07 +0000

Been running my Gecko wheels for over three years now before tyre dude told me I had a problem.........he insisted on putting tapered wheel nuts on.....no mention of the egg rings tho :? :? :?
Cheers Richo
If cat turds were Gold nuggets, I'd be the richest bloke on the block... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Richolux150

Postby apSlain on Sat, 10 Oct 2015 1:11 +0000

Alright, went and saw two tyre/wheel stores today.

First, I went to JAX Tyres in Liverpool to ask about the hub-centric rings. He said that hub-centric rings aren't made for steel wheels and wouldn't be necessary even with the ~5mm difference. It would be a different story if they were an alloy. That was the end of that.

A few stores down is a Bob Jane T-Marts so I thought I'd pop down there for a second opinion. This guy was much more cluey about off-road stuff but he echoed the first guy - hub-centric rings aren't made for steel wheels, and he said it'd be useless and that installing them would adversely affect the car. He asked if I was experiencing any vibrations (which I'm not) but said not to worry about it and that there shouldn't be any sheering of the lug nut. He also said that they're only to centralise the tyre, and not to prevent shearing. Spent a fair bit of time talking off-road stuff and he showed me his Prado, too :lol:

He did say that during the week he works for Speedy Wheels, and that their steel wheels are 106mm.
apSlain

Postby kellysalmon on Sat, 10 Oct 2015 1:42 +0000

Just gone through all this myself. Put a new set of infinity steel rims I think they are and 32in km2's. Good alignment but had a vibration over 80kph. Took it back. Left it with them for a few days. A mate in the meantime told me how the imitation sunraiser style rims can have the stud holes punch out slightly off centre. Finally got it back off them.i asked if they put on new rims. Told me no and that they put on these locating rings. Havent got it up to speed on the highway yet but if its not rectified, ill be seeking new rims from them.
kellysalmon

Postby apSlain on Fri, 06 Nov 2015 11:11 +0000

kellysalmon wrote:Told me no and that they put on these locating rings. Havent got it up to speed on the highway yet but if its not rectified, ill be seeking new rims from them.

How'd you go with that?

It's pretty difficult to get a straightforward answer regarding whether the locating rings / egg rings / hub-centric rings are necessary on steel wheels. I visited two tyre joints who said they're not required and shouldn't be used with steel wheels with one saying they'd adversely affect performance; I called the wheel manufacturer who said they're not required but if I wanted to put them on to resolve vehicle vibration, go for it; I then booked an alignment and balance just an hour ago and queried the bloke about it and he said he'd put them on but backtracked when I mentioned the opinions I got from the tyre joints.

Research on the 'net is more in favour of the rings whereas opinions from the tyre mobs themselves are against them for steel wheels. Hell, when I ask the blokes where I can get them they've got blank looks. Tried to source them myself - 111mm to 106mm Aluminium Alloy - but the eBay seller has informed me that they're out of stock.
apSlain

Previous

Return to Tyres & Wheels