Service question

Service question

Postby Rickoo5 on Wed, 03 Aug 2016 6:22 +0000

I just had a 10K service and it stated they rotated the tyres BUT I don't think this happened. Did you get your Tyres rotated?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards

Rickoo5 :)
Rickoo5

Re: Service question

Postby Skrewdriver on Wed, 03 Aug 2016 6:27 +0000

Highly unlikely it actually happened. I done 15 years in spare parts, and some of the things that the service department said they done and they didn't actually do will shock you.

Due to time and money constraints, the bare minimum is done on book servicing.
"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
George Santayana

E-Mail: pbialasinski@bigpond.com
Phone: (0407) 237723
Skrewdriver

Postby Bambazonke on Thu, 04 Aug 2016 2:06 +0000

had my revo smart cab 2.8 4x4 since august last year done , first unit into Zimbabwe ,its done 25000km
I have done all my own servicing as the local dealer had no qualified mec at the time
i rotate the tyres in a clockwise direction every 10000km
extra german made fuel filter fitted from new
Fantasic ute,, better than a land cruiser!!!
easy to service
Bambazonke

Postby MarkTGood on Thu, 04 Aug 2016 4:47 +0000

I have had mine done. They are supposed to balance the fronts too.
I always mark my valve stems so I can tell as the last hilux I had was leased and they never did it. When I would ask them why they said that the lease company wouldn't pay for it. I argued that it's part of the service schedule but they still refused. Hence my lack of trust.

Mark
MarkTGood

Service question

Postby Rickoo5 on Wed, 02 Nov 2016 3:49 +0000

20K service today. Grease. Oil and oil filter done BUT nothing more. I tour strips off them today and then made them do it all. Didn't check the diff oil. Tighten the prop shafts bolts. Rotate Tyers. Balance front wheels.
I was told they didn't rotate the Tyers because I need a wheel alignment. The pic is my front tyre. Do you think it is need of a wheel alignment?
I went back and showed then pics of the nuts that had not seen a spammer.
Cap price servicing should not mean just doing the oil. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards

Rickoo5

Postby TOYZX on Wed, 02 Nov 2016 5:07 +0000

Glad ya ripped em mate! Way too many stealerships get away with this kind of thing.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby Richard on Wed, 02 Nov 2016 5:21 +0000

Before my last service (30,000k) I had to mark my Rhino bar's drive lights L/R before I took it into get colour coded so I used a white marker pen. To get the ink flowing I dabbed it on the front drivers tyre. Guess where the dots where when I picked it up, yup, still on the drivers side front.

Service guy gave it to the mechanic as he happened to walk in whilst I was there. Came back the next day to get it corrected and mechanic still f$@#&% it up as he'd crossed the fronts to the rear but got the rears straight to the front correct. Ended up the service guy took it and did the job himself, well almost as he didn't balance the front and he left a little wedding ring mar on the dash when he changed the air con vent direction.

Come the 40,000k service I'll be going over it like a vulture before I pay.
Richard

Postby Rickoo5 on Wed, 02 Nov 2016 5:58 +0000

Don't let them get away with ripping us off.

Regards

Rickoo5

Postby dave g on Wed, 02 Nov 2016 7:46 +0000

99% of the time they getaway with it as most do not now wot to look for
I mark every thing with marker and take photo before service then have a go at them on things not dune :evil:

dave g
dave g

Postby 06xtracab on Wed, 02 Nov 2016 9:42 +0000

Richard wrote:Service guy gave it to the mechanic as he happened to walk in whilst I was there. Came back the next day to get it corrected and mechanic still f$@#&% it up as he'd crossed the fronts to the rear but got the rears straight to the front correct. Ended up the service guy took it and did the job himself, well almost as he didn't balance the front and he left a little wedding ring mar on the dash when he changed the air con vent direction.

4 tyre rotation: cross rotating the fronts to the rear, and moving the rears straight forward would be the right way, unless you have directional tyres. (and balance)
06xtracab

Postby Richard on Thu, 03 Nov 2016 9:04 +0000

06xtracab wrote:
Richard wrote:Service guy gave it to the mechanic as he happened to walk in whilst I was there. Came back the next day to get it corrected and mechanic still f$@#&% it up as he'd crossed the fronts to the rear but got the rears straight to the front correct. Ended up the service guy took it and did the job himself, well almost as he didn't balance the front and he left a little wedding ring mar on the dash when he changed the air con vent direction.

4 tyre rotation: cross rotating the fronts to the rear, and moving the rears straight forward would be the right way, unless you have directional tyres. (and balance)

Wrong sorry, radials go front to rear same position and visa versa, no cross rotation, it's in the Tyre Fitters Bible.
Richard

Postby 06xtracab on Thu, 03 Nov 2016 12:43 +0000

Richard wrote:
06xtracab wrote:
Richard wrote:

Wrong sorry, radials go front to rear same position and visa versa, no cross rotation, it's in the Tyre Fitters Bible.

Well, I do like a good debate, so I would like to see this source, "Tyre Fitters Bible'. Google was no help... So, please elaborate.

I did find however, Car Bibles, ( http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg3.html ) Paragraph "Rotating your tyres".

Regardless, cross rotationg tyres has no discernable effect on the structural integrity of a tyre. Case in point: Trucks use retreaded tyres and most use dual wheels, and there is NO WAY that a tyre will always be refitted taking its original direction into account, yet retread factories regularly produce retreads that have been retreaded 3 or more times. Case in point 2: Commercial Aircraft tyres are retreaded as many times as possible, have a speed rating of 250+ MPH, and are not marked with a direction of rotation. (I have several examples in the back yard at the place I work).

You can choose to cross rotate your tyres, or you can choose not to. It is false to say that you cannot choose.
06xtracab

Postby Rickoo5 on Thu, 03 Nov 2016 1:24 +0000

I had a phone call from Toyota today to see if I was completely happy with my service. So I took this opportunity to tear them a new one again.

Regards

Rickoo5

Postby Richard on Thu, 03 Nov 2016 5:30 +0000

The trouble people go to to prove they're correct.

How does a certificated Heavy/Light Tyre Fitting ticket sound with 3 years solid experience in the NT mining industry looking after 154 light vehicles most of which were Hilux's and numerous heavy vehicles including Leibherr cranes, Franners, Volvo haul trucks, 30tonne forklifts, Front End loaders and even, God forbid, wheel barrow and trolly tyres. All this done by myself.

I also, with my then new '07 twin cab, I rotated the tyres every 5000k, as you suggested and was lucky to get 18000k out of them because at the time I was uneducated on radial tyre rotation.

You can choose, you can choose the right way or the wrong way, but, as you stated "You can choose to cross rotate your tyres, or you can choose not to. It is false to say that you cannot choose"

Your choice champ.
Richard

Postby aandy on Thu, 03 Nov 2016 7:14 +0000

I rotate 6 tyres every 10k, I cross them.

I got 75k out of my last km2's, they did a lap of oz including tanami desert, cape York, Gibbs river etc without a puncture. They still had tread but got pretty hard and slippery in the wet.

Just my experience and the reason I continue to cross them.
aandy

Postby 06xtracab on Sat, 05 Nov 2016 2:50 +0000

Richard wrote:The trouble people go to to prove they're correct.

How does a certificated Heavy/Light Tyre Fitting ticket sound with 3 years solid experience in the NT mining industry looking after 154 light vehicles most of which were Hilux's and numerous heavy vehicles including Leibherr cranes, Franners, Volvo haul trucks, 30tonne forklifts, Front End loaders and even, God forbid, wheel barrow and trolly tyres. All this done by myself.

Wasn't trying for a pissing contest. Just wanted source for your info... but if yer like: I have 30+ years, including over 10 years starting as proccess worker working up to manager for a national tyre manufacturers Retread division. Started, developed and operate my own tyre business 13 very successful years so far, (doing retail and mining, WA) fitting all you've done and more. Also a qualified tyre repairer, UHP thru to OTR.

I dont care if you choose not to cross rotate. I really don't. But it is a falsehood to say "Wrong sorry, radials go front to rear same position and visa versa, no cross rotation, it's in the Tyre Fitters Bible."

Low milage on tyres is caused by many factors, and some OE tyres perform poorly in harsher conditions, giving reduced milage outcomes, but it is not because of how they were rotated.

06xtracab

Postby martynvella on Sun, 06 Nov 2016 5:09 +0000

Richard wrote:The trouble people go to to prove they're correct.

I also, with my then new '07 twin cab, I rotated the tyres every 5000k, as you suggested and was lucky to get 18000k out of them because at the time I was uneducated on radial tyre rotation.

You can choose, you can choose the right way or the wrong way, but, as you stated "You can choose to cross rotate your tyres, or you can choose not to. It is false to say that you cannot choose"

Your choice champ.

I find this sort of thing amusing.
Richard mate, get used to it, it is forum mentality where a highly experienced professional gives some good solid advice and gets ripped to pieces by armchair experts who only know how to use google, and then not very well lol.
You will find yourself arguing with people that haven't touched a spanner in years if at all, and fail to realize that everything has moved on since they learned anything.

Makes it impossible for the OP to actually learn anything.

I don't even bother to respond to people that just want to argue.

As you said, they can choose. If they choose the wrong advice it will cost them dollars and what nobody realizes in forums, if anyone gives advice in writing and it is wrong and costs someone money, they are legally liable and can be taken to small claims by the persons that acted on the advice. This is why professional indemnity insurance exists.
martynvella

Postby dvdg on Thu, 25 May 2017 12:02 +0000

Here's my experience up to my fourth service 24/40000
Three done in WA Toyota dealerships check each service yes wheels rotated and balanced.
Last one done in rural northern Victorian Toyota dealership rotate and balance not carried out even though service schedule says to be done.
Told Toyota company not happy about it in customer survey as if they didn't do that how can I be sure that other things specified in schedule and 40000 service there's a few important things to be done.
Never heard from them obviously they don't give a shit.
dvdg

Postby hiluxnr on Sun, 25 Jun 2017 5:47 +0000

The place I bought my tyres from does a free rotation and balance every 10000k and I'd expect them to do it or I wouldnt continue to buy from them.
hiluxnr

Postby indilila on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 1:34 +0000

Nothing like a p***ing contest!

I contacted my chosen (worldwide, well-known and very reputable) tyre supplier technical department prior to getting my 2017 Hilux about their recommendation regarding 4 tyre or 5 tyre rotations. I had been told by an occasionally knowledgeable friend the same thing about not crossing over, but in this Google age I have come to prefer my info from the horse's mouth as opposed to the horse's a**e.

Here is their reply:

" Thanks for your enquiry. In the absence of a recommendation from your vehicle manufacturer we would recommend a five wheel tyre rotation to utilise the spare tyre.

For 5 wheel rotations move the spare to right hand front. Right hand front to left hand rear. Left hand front to right hand rear. Left hand rear to left hand front. Right hand rear to spare.
See below diagram.

(Diagram excluded as it won't cut and paste and I am a computer retard)

*Please note: the technical advice given by us is only a recommendation based on the information provided by you. (BRAND EXCLUDED) is not responsible or liable for any damage due to utilization based on our technical advice. "

Makes sense to me.

If I only got 18,000km from a set of tyres I'd be seriously re-appraising what I do and how I do it, or stop buying Chinese tyres.
indilila

Next

Return to Servicing