GD engine oil grade and quantity

Re: GD engine oil grade and quantity

Postby wyworrie on Thu, 03 Nov 2016 7:39 +0000

I rest my case!
wyworrie

Postby Jacko9 on Thu, 03 Nov 2016 9:47 +0000

Yeah I can further back up wyworrie's claim. I use 2 dealerships for parts because I live in 2 towns. 1 is a Valvoline dealership, thats all they run, whereas the other is genuine.
Jacko9

Postby Richard on Thu, 03 Nov 2016 10:14 +0000

numberplate wrote:i heard today that dealers can get a sort of DNA analysis done on engine oil to see if it is the correct type or not. so if you run the wrong oil they can use that as an excuse to bounce the warranty.

Work in the diesel mechanical side of mining and you soon understand how easy this can be done. Postage time to the lab is usually the slowest part of the SOS process.

Same method is also used for electrical transformer for fault finding.
Richard

Postby aandy on Fri, 04 Nov 2016 5:49 +0000

What does it say in the manual? Does it say to only use genuine or does it give an oil spec like the last model?
aandy

Postby numberplate on Mon, 07 Nov 2016 5:29 +0000

is 0W-30 ok for the hotter temps we experience here in QLD ?
numberplate

Postby Gipsy on Mon, 07 Nov 2016 7:11 +0000

0w-30 is for sub zero temps so in Queensland I would say 15w-40 unless it freezes where you drive
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby adamkberger on Mon, 07 Nov 2016 2:33 +0000

Direct from the manual:
Oil grade ACEA C2

Notice: Using oil other than ACEA C2 may damage catalytic converter. (Might mean DPF)

Recommended oil viscosity: SAE 0W-30 is filled into your Toyota vehicle at manufacturing, and is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather.

According to the graph, 0W-30 does look like it will suit all weather conditions in Australia. It also suggests that you could use 5W-30 for high speed or extreme load conditions. No mention of fully synthetic though but a quick google leads me to believe that it only comes in fully synthetic.

From ACEA:
ACEA C2 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use as catalyst compatible oil in vehicles with DPF and TWC in high performance car and light van diesel and gasoline engines designed to be capable of using low friction, low viscosity oils with a minimum HTHS viscosity of 2.9mPa.s. These oils will increase the DPF and TWC life and maintain the vehicles fuel economy. Warning: these oils are unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

So there you have it.

Adam.
2015 SR5 2.8 Dual Cab Hilux
adamkberger

Postby trdchris on Thu, 17 Nov 2016 8:39 +0000

adamkberger wrote:Direct from the manual:
Oil grade ACEA C2

Notice: Using oil other than ACEA C2 may damage catalytic converter. (Might mean DPF)

Recommended oil viscosity: SAE 0W-30 is filled into your Toyota vehicle at manufacturing, and is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather.

According to the graph, 0W-30 does look like it will suit all weather conditions in Australia. It also suggests that you could use 5W-30 for high speed or extreme load conditions. No mention of fully synthetic though but a quick google leads me to believe that it only comes in fully synthetic.

From ACEA:
ACEA C2 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use as catalyst compatible oil in vehicles with DPF and TWC in high performance car and light van diesel and gasoline engines designed to be capable of using low friction, low viscosity oils with a minimum HTHS viscosity of 2.9mPa.s. These oils will increase the DPF and TWC life and maintain the vehicles fuel economy. Warning: these oils are unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

So there you have it.

Adam.

Confirming your write up adam and adding a bit more. I have done a bit of research before buying my Hilux and this is what I have gathered. I may not be 100% correct, but anyone can clarify if I'm wrong.

Toyota developed the 1GD-FTV with many markets to supply. At the moment the Thailand built Hiluxes that are being supplied to Australia/NewZealand/Europe/UK/Thailand Domestic Market, the engine is made in Japan and shipped in crates to Thailand. Now there are different variations of exhaust filtration and treatment depending on the countries EURO EMISSIONS STANDARD. There has to be a lower amount of Ash/Sulphur/Phosphorous in the engine oil to make these emissions systems durable.

The Thailand Domestic Hilux I bought must pass the EURO IV emissions test and therefore has just the Exhaust Gas Recirculation and a Catalyst behind the turbo.

Australia Domestic Market has to pass EURO V emissions test so in addition to the EGR and the Catalyst, there is a DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER after the Catalyst.

Europe/Japan (and I suppose UK) have to pass EURO VI emissions test and in addition to the EGR, Catalyst, DPF, they also have a Selective Catalyst Reduction. (Urea fluid has to be filled in a tank, and sprayed in this catalyst to reduce Nitrogen Gases)

My Thailand Domestic Market Hilux had no User manual, so I downloaded the Australia Manual and Japans Prado 1GDFTV Manual to get an idea what oil they use and this what i found.

So as we can can see, the 1GD-FTV oil grade is 0W-30(preferred) or 5W-30 that passes the ACEA C2 or JASO DL-1 standard. This was extremely difficult for me in Jamaica but I found and use MOBIL1 Emissions System Protection 5W-30 that meets both these standards. The specs are as follows:

Hope I shed some light on this new engine, the references to webpages are as follows:
https://toyotamanuals.com.au/document/landing_page/hilux-owners-manual-jul-15-current
http://toyota-club.net/files/faq/15-10-20_faq_gd-engine_eng.htm
https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-esp

And anyone that wants to learn about the SCR urea catalyst fluid that is needed for EURO VI Hiluxes:
http://blog.toyota.co.uk/what-is-adblue-and-why-do-we-use-it
Last edited by trdchris on Thu, 17 Nov 2016 10:36 +0000, edited 2 times in total.
trdchris

Postby trdchris on Thu, 17 Nov 2016 10:25 +0000

Just a follow up to the post I made above.
The Toyota parts catalog shows the differences between the Thailand Domestic and the Australian Domestic Hilux's:

Thailand Domestic(Oxidation Catalyst after the Turbo Housing - EURO IV):

Australia Domestic(Oxidation Catalyst and the Diesel Particulate Filter after the Turbo Housing - EURO V):

And I'm guessing the Hilux Euro VI SCR Urea Fluid(AdBlue) fill tank is located beside the Diesel Filler Cap(This is a picture of my filler cap which doesnt use the urea fluid - AdBlue):

The Japanese 1GD-FTV Prado(EURO VI) urea fill tank is located under the bonnet(number 7):

trdchris

Postby Ozwaz on Thu, 17 Nov 2016 9:01 +0000

Bloody hell mate you are on it like a fat kid on a cupcake :D
Ozwaz

Postby trdchris on Thu, 17 Nov 2016 10:24 +0000

Ozwaz wrote:Bloody hell mate you are on it like a fat kid on a cupcake :D

LOL. I didn't buy my Hilux from the Toyota Dealer. Toyota Caribbean is only offering the older diesels at the moment(1KD-FTV) alongside the petrol engine. So I bought the Hilux from a new car dealer that ships directly from any country.(I wanted the extra 100nm torque: 1GD-FTV vs. 1KD-FTV) I knew I could make this dealer service the Hilux but I preferred the find out the specs myself and test them by asking them what grade they have for it.(They failed) So I service the truck myself. Disadvantage is of course that I'm not covered under Toyota's warranty.

What I believe though, is that the reason why the 0W-30 is preferred by Toyota over the 5W-30 may be because of the fuel efficiency.(your l/100km) I would ask a mechanic before going thicker, like 15W-40 because I'm not sure if the tolerances inside of the engine/turbo will allow that oil to flow everywhere.

The Australian owners manual did not specify Synthetic or Non-Synthetic. Main thing for warranty purposes is to use a grade that is within manufacturers specifications, They did specify they prefer 0W-30, and listed 5W-30 as well and that is has to meet ACEA C2 standards.
trdchris

Postby adamkberger on Fri, 18 Nov 2016 12:30 +0000

Nice work trdchris. I always wondered what the second filler blank could be for. It's probably for the urea tank.

Adam.
adamkberger

Postby creaky on Fri, 18 Nov 2016 1:11 +0000

Off topic but at a servo along the Bruce Highway a couple of weeks ago were two rough looking guys in a newish Merc 4wd getting a 20L tank of blue liquid out of the back of the car. Obviously they have to take the AdBlue with them !! I'm not looking forward to that in Australia with so much remote travel.
creaky

Postby abashii on Mon, 21 Nov 2016 2:15 +0000

creaky wrote:Off topic but at a servo along the Bruce Highway a couple of weeks ago were two rough looking guys in a newish Merc 4wd getting a 20L tank of blue liquid out of the back of the car. Obviously they have to take the AdBlue with them !! I'm not looking forward to that in Australia with so much remote travel.

Two rough looking blokes with a tank of blue liquid?
abashii

Postby creaky on Mon, 21 Nov 2016 2:39 +0000

abashii wrote:
creaky wrote:Off topic but at a servo along the Bruce Highway a couple of weeks ago were two rough looking guys in a newish Merc 4wd getting a 20L tank of blue liquid out of the back of the car. Obviously they have to take the AdBlue with them !! I'm not looking forward to that in Australia with so much remote travel.

Two rough looking blokes with a tank of blue liquid?

Hey, that's the same guys. You suggesting it was suss ?
creaky

Postby iKODEAK on Tue, 03 Jan 2017 5:44 +0000

hi ;)

In russian technical instruction says:
ACEA C2/E9
JASO DL-1
iKODEAK

Motor oil brand/type

Postby timtiller on Wed, 03 Jul 2019 1:55 +0000

Hello

What kind of Motor oil brand and what a typ 0w30/5w30 etc, did you use?
What are your expirience with Toyota-oil?

Tim
timtiller

Postby DeadlyBeast on Wed, 03 Jul 2019 6:58 +0000

Threads merged
Tim - I hope this thread helps
DeadlyBeast

Postby adamkberger on Wed, 03 Jul 2019 2:17 +0000

I just recently did my first home service since my warranty has run out. I used this oil which I got on sale from Supercheap for $80 for 10 litres. Toyota wanted $140 for 8 litres.
adamkberger

Previous

Return to Servicing