Dealer servicing

Dealer servicing

Postby Joe VH on Wed, 20 Nov 2019 4:07 +0000

Hi members. Just a general question . Why should I go to a Toyota dealer to have my 2016 Hilux diesel serviced ? My regular mechanic is very competent. He said he cannot update any of the software technology though. I’m thinking of ringing the local Toyota mob I bought the car from used with 100000 on the clock and listening to their pitch .Thoughts....?
Joe VH

Re: Dealer servicing

Postby hiluxxury on Wed, 20 Nov 2019 4:40 +0000

G'day Joe, welcome to the forum. I've moved your post to the Gen 8 servicing setion as it is a better fit.

Its an age old question. You cant be sure the dealer will do the updates unless you ask during a general service. So I'd go specifically for that and then go to your regular mech for general servicing. Just be clear about using genuine parts.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby Markdavo on Sat, 25 Jan 2020 6:51 +0000

hiluxxury wrote:G'day Joe, welcome to the forum. I've moved your post to the Gen 8 servicing setion as it is a better fit.

Its an age old question. You cant be sure the dealer will do the updates unless you ask during a general service. So I'd go specifically for that and then go to your regular mech for general servicing. Just be clear about using genuine parts.

This thread comes at just the right time for me. My 2016 SR diesel is out of warranty and will need the 80,000km service soon. According to my local Perth (Melville Toyota) servicing department the online booking form says that the following will be done for 48 months or 80,000 km service for $740. I know I will have to ask the general mechanic my wife used for her car but can general mechanics do this servicing?

Chassis and Body, Replace
Brake fluid
Front differential oil
Rear differential oil

Tightening propeller shaft bolts

Lubricate,
Propeller shaft grease

Inspect
Brake pedal and parking brake
Brake linings and drums (include parking brake linings and drums)
Brake pads and discs
Brake pipes and hoses
Power steering fluid
Steering wheel, linkage and steering gear box
Drive shaft boots
Suspension ball joint and dust covers
Automatic transmission fluid
Automatic transmission fluid cooler hoses and connections
Transfer oil
Front and rear suspensions (include KDSS)
Accessory items
Tyres and inflation pressures
Rotate wheels
Balance front wheels
Lights, horn, wipers and washers
Seatbelt, webbing condition, buckle and retractor mechanism operation
Refrigerant amount of air conditioner
Fuel System
Replace
Fuel Filter (diesel models - engine bay)
Inspect
Water sediment accumulator (diesel models)
Engine air cleaner filter (diesel models)
Diesel smoke
Fuel tank cap, fuel lines and connections (diesel models)
Road Test
Inspect
Road Test Vehicle
Electrical System
Inspect
Battery
Engine
Replace
Engine oil
Engine Oil filter
Inspect
Cooling and heater system
Engine coolant (Toyota Genuine Super LLC (Pink))
Exhaust pipes and mountings
Markdavo

Postby Gipsy on Sat, 25 Jan 2020 10:06 +0000

If it's out of warranty and you have a mechanic you can trust, why not use them? All the items you listed are inspection only and any replace items can be done by anyone competent. Just use genuine parts and a quality oil. I bet it will cost less than the dealership $740 quoted. Dealers don't have any special magic procedures so unless you need the dealer stamp shop around.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Markdavo on Sat, 25 Jan 2020 11:42 +0000

Gipsy wrote:If it's out of warranty and you have a mechanic you can trust, why not use them? All the items you listed are inspection only and any replace items can be done by anyone competent. Just use genuine parts and a quality oil. I bet it will cost less than the dealership $740 quoted. Dealers don't have any special magic procedures so unless you need the dealer stamp shop around.

Thanks. The RAC does servicing on all vehicle makes so I'll take that list and call in for an estimate, or perhaps even a quote.

Cheers, Mark
Markdavo

Postby dave g on Sat, 25 Jan 2020 6:22 +0000

Dealership serving is over priced ripe off.
They never do what is on the list anyway
I do use genuine parts or from a parts shop (NOT THE INTERNET )
Do it yourself if not a work shop you can trust.
dave g

Postby Gipsy on Sun, 26 Jan 2020 5:50 +0000

XX2 get to know your Hilux by doing your own servicing and you will wonder why you ever paid someone else to do it.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby jimO on Mon, 27 Jan 2020 1:29 +0000

my dealer charges around $300 for a service, why go anywhere else............i know a guy who had a service done on a 3 year old nissan warrior at his local garage (not a nissan dealer), the oil filter was the correct part but the o ring was either missing or it was incorrectly fitted, on his way home it pumped all the oil out and destroyed the engine, the price of a new nissan engine fitted is $33000, the garage supplied and fitted a 2nd hand engine on their insurance but it ran like a dog and eventuality they bought it off them for trade in value
jimO

Return to Servicing