How to clean the D4D intake and EGR sytem

Re: How to clean the D4D intake and EGR sytem

Postby OFFTRAK on Wed, 16 Feb 2011 2:18 +0000

Yep, same as you, Rich. The tutorial above was good as a guide, but overall mine was different. My Throttle Body was clean, but the below pic shows what was the state of my EGR Valve. More pics in my build up thread. It wasn't as coked up as Steve's, but I am concerned how oily it is compared to his.

I just kept undoing parts and taking photos until I got the EGR Valve off.

OFFTRAK

Postby steveb on Wed, 16 Feb 2011 2:57 +0000

Hi guys,
Appears that that the 05 models are slightly different to the 08 model. I am guessing that they probably changed at the end of 06 when the engines were updated. The main difference appears to be that the EGR valve mounts on top of the manifold on the 05 model whereas the 08 model EGR valve is mounted next to the throttle body. (I will edit the thread to note the differnce)

So in you case Rich it may possible that the EGR is clogged but you can't see it because it is at the bottom of the elbow that connects the throttle body. So if you unbolt the elbow from the EGR you should be able to see if there is any build up.

Luxative yours looks like there has been a bit of oil getting past the turbo seals which might have actually cleaned some of the soot out of the EGR. If it's not blowing heaps of smoke or the engine is using oil I probably wouldn't worry about it for the moment. But keep an eye on it.

Thanks
Steve
steveb

Postby OFFTRAK on Wed, 16 Feb 2011 3:15 +0000

Cool, thanks Steve. That was my suspicion... No smoke or oil usage, so I'll just watch it.

Rich, if you need it, I can probably dig up some more pics that I took while I did it.
OFFTRAK

Postby Steve9R on Wed, 16 Feb 2011 4:13 +0000

well done guys.. it would be good to add the instructions for the older model as well..

Ive made this sticky too..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby Rich on Thu, 17 Feb 2011 3:05 +0000

Luxative wrote:Cool, thanks Steve. That was my suspicion... No smoke or oil usage, so I'll just watch it.

Rich, if you need it, I can probably dig up some more pics that I took while I did it.

Thanks Mate, it would be appreciated - I stopped cause I didn't really have the confidence to go any further.

Rich.
Rich

Postby OFFTRAK on Thu, 17 Feb 2011 9:00 +0000

Here you go, Rich.
Please excuse the dirty engine bay...

Remove the plugs (1,2,4,5,6). 4 and 5 are probably optional, but it makes it easier to move the loom out of the way.
Remove the retainer (8) that holds the loom on to the elbow.
Undo the intercooler to throttle body pipe and the vacuum pipe on the 'doo-hickey' (3) and the rest as Steve explained it to remove the intercooler.

Undo the two nuts and two bolts to remove the throttle body, being careful with the metal gasket. You are left with the elbow visible.
Undo the bolt to the left of the rag. I also removed the black bracket that this bolt is attached to to give me more room.

This next picture shows the elbow removed.
1. points to one of the bolt holes where the black bracket was. Only removed to give me more space.
4. points to one of the studs. You will remove the nuts from these two studs plus the bolt (3) to remove the elbow.
Now remove the two bolts (2) to free up the EGR Valve, once again being careful with the metal gasket.
Gently lift the EGR Valve over the studs and follow Steve's instructions to clean it.

Hope that helps a bit.
Standard disclaimer... I have no idea what I am doing. :)
OFFTRAK

Postby Rich on Mon, 21 Feb 2011 1:34 +0000

Thanks heaps Mate, I will have another crack at it soon. I love the disclaimer too!

Whats the concensus on removing the inlet manifold guys, is it really necessary?

Rich.
Rich

Postby Krat on Mon, 21 Feb 2011 3:53 +0000

Hi all,
I have read this thread with interest and must say that the detail is fantastic.
I do have a question though. My 07 D4D has done 62,000km and I have done around 3000km in the past 6mths.As this is my first TD, how do I know if the system needs a clean because I have no idea what the performance should be like.
Is there a quick way to inspect the system without a major disassemble project just to check.
Any advice appreciated.
Kev.
Krat

Postby Putsy on Fri, 25 Feb 2011 7:31 +0000

Well just did it to my Hilux, woswers! the EGR valve was approx 60% blocked and the elbo was approx 80% blocked! should of taken some pics because it was amazing how much crap was in there, more then setveb's! the bad thing is that my ute has only done 71,000KM's but after the big clean out what a difference it made to the pick up in it! The difference is amzaing.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6631&p=95887&hilit=Putsy#p95887 My Build... A little small but its not always the size that matters ;)

putsy@newhilux.net
Putsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gxl_d4d on Sun, 27 Feb 2011 6:47 +0000

I had the EGR3 sprayed through the intake of my 2008 TD Prado and the difference in driveability was remarkable. I havn't checked the fuel economy as I havn't refilled the tank but it appears to have improved at I"d done 550km when the guage was at the quarter mark. Before the EGR3 clean, it' usually only get 350-400km at the same mark. Before the clean, I was getting 7.5-8km/L in town and 9km/L on the highway. My problems started when I went on an long road trip (8000km). I suspect all that under cruise conditions, the EGR injection rate is higher to save fuel which could have caused the intake fouling. Before the road trip, I was getting 9.2km/L in town and 10.5km/L (Sometimes 10.8) on the highway.

I plan to do this every 10000km to keep the intake clean. This should also remove the risk of dislodging large chunks of build up if done at larger intervals.
gxl_d4d

Postby dermy on Sun, 27 Feb 2011 1:22 +0000

just did mine then. man it was filthy it was like an oil soaked soot so it was like a paste remove. it sucked.. I didn't remove the intake as I don't have a torque wrench which sucks because the intake looks worse then the egr I guess that's because my egrs below the elbow (06 model) and soot enters straight into the intake manifold
dermy

Postby OFFTRAK on Sun, 27 Feb 2011 1:26 +0000

How many km's on your ute, dermy?
OFFTRAK

Postby OFFTRAK on Sun, 27 Feb 2011 1:59 +0000

Aahh, very interesting. I'm hanging out to see what Rich's looks like, being the same age although less km's than mine, I think.
OFFTRAK

Postby Jack S on Sun, 27 Feb 2011 2:13 +0000

Guys is the only way to clean this is by removing and manually cleaning all the crap out?
Or is there a spray that your able to spray through it and clean it for for...
Jack S

Postby dermy on Sun, 27 Feb 2011 4:08 +0000

mine was to thick to be removed by another method otheb than a manual one
dermy

Postby Rich on Mon, 28 Feb 2011 5:56 +0000

Hi Luxative,

I'd love to do mine, but I'm scared to pull it apart...

I got as far as removing the intercooler and checking the throttle body and got spooked :oops:

It is annoying me though, knowing it's probably dirty in there - and it will get the best of me sooner or later and I will have to clean it.

Rich.
Rich

Postby OFFTRAK on Mon, 28 Feb 2011 6:18 +0000

That's fair enough.When I couldn't get the intercooler to move I nearly gave up, but once that was off, it was just a case of undoing some more plugs, bolts and nuts.
OFFTRAK

Postby axeten on Fri, 04 Mar 2011 8:09 +0000

Jack S wrote:Guys is the only way to clean this is by removing and manually cleaning all the crap out?
Or is there a spray that your able to spray through it and clean it for for...

This would have to be the safest way to do it.
Wynns make a spray to clean the EGR/intake but it means whatever comes off goes through your motor....

I'd pull the intercooler and the elbow to the egr intake off to have a look down there and see how dirty it is. If it is just black but not a thick caked on amount of goo then the spray will be fine.

It really is super simple. Just write a list as you take off any bolt/plug and where it was from. Then check it backwards to put it back together...
axeten

Postby bloke&tackle on Sun, 06 Mar 2011 9:24 +0000

I just cleaned out my EGR etc. (same model as Steve B, not quite as blocked as his) after 180,000Kms.
Didn't remove the intake manifold as it looked O.K. and the weather was against me.
Only took her for a spin around the block but can't say I really noticed any difference in performance, but then I drive like an old mole most of the time anyway. Hopefully the fuel economy improves, as it's absolutely woeful.
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread especially Steve B.
I found the job to be pretty straight forward. It looked a little daunting after I first removed the aftercooler cover, but just keep chipping away at it and next thing you know the thing is off ready for cleaning.
P.S a can of throttle body cleaner or similar is a must-have for this job, it just melts the gunk away.
Regards Chris.

I started life with nothing, and I've still got most of it left
bloke&tackle

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks