How to clean the D4D intake and EGR sytem

Re: How to clean the D4D intake and EGR sytem

Postby Spitfia on Sun, 31 Dec 2017 2:00 +0000

decided to bite the bullet the other day and start removing the egr for cleaning before I knew it it was off and thought "that was easy!" so I kept going and started removing the intake... was a bit more intense than the egr but thanks to this guide and a workshop manual I found online it was made quite easy just time consuming since I was doing it after work.

my ute has only done 70,000km's and I was surprised at how much build up there was in the egr elbow and the intake. like others most of the build up was on number 3 and 4

one thing worth noting is that the workshop manual does recommend a particular order to tension the bolts and nuts that hold the manifold on
YOU LOOKIN AT MY EYE?!!!
MY10 2011 SR Hilux DC, Steinbauer Module, 2" lift, BFG AT 265/75R16 etc. etc. etc.
Spitfia

Postby scottellis88 on Thu, 04 Jan 2018 10:28 +0000

Spitfia wrote:decided to bite the bullet the other day and start removing the egr for cleaning before I knew it it was off and thought "that was easy!" so I kept going and started removing the intake... was a bit more intense than the egr but thanks to this guide and a workshop manual I found online it was made quite easy just time consuming since I was doing it after work.

my ute has only done 70,000km's and I was surprised at how much build up there was in the egr elbow and the intake. like others most of the build up was on number 3 and 4

one thing worth noting is that the workshop manual does recommend a particular order to tension the bolts and nuts that hold the manifold on
Really wish i saw that diagram or looked in the manual before i attempted it i couldnt find all the bolts for the manifold. Time was getting on so i gave up and put it all back together. I couldn't find info anywhere to exactly how to remove the manifold.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
scottellis88

Postby hiluxxury on Fri, 05 Jan 2018 7:51 +0000

scottellis88 wrote:
Spitfia wrote:decided to bite the bullet the other day and start removing the egr for cleaning before I knew it it was off and thought "that was easy!" so I kept going and started removing the intake... was a bit more intense than the egr but thanks to this guide and a workshop manual I found online it was made quite easy just time consuming since I was doing it after work.

Really wish i saw that diagram or looked in the manual before i attempted it i couldnt find all the bolts for the manifold. Time was getting on so i gave up and put it all back together. I couldn't find info anywhere to exactly how to remove the manifold.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Yep, it can be a PITA :cry:
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby brett64b on Fri, 05 Jan 2018 5:35 +0000

have question for all that have done egr/ manifold clean, after clean how is your fuel useage ? I have found i have more power as going up Oriumah hill central coast i could only get 115km and it would flatten out, i now can go 125 but find im using .7 litre more per 100ks. Has anyone had better consumption ?
brett64b

Postby Critter350 on Sat, 06 Jan 2018 9:33 +0000

I think my consumption has gone up by about the same amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Critter350

Postby TomFry on Sun, 07 Jan 2018 9:31 +0000

Hey guys

It’s my first post on the forum so I’ll keep it short.

I was hoping to have a go at this myself but it’s a bit of a step up from the work that I’ve done previously. Does anyone have a copy of the word doc that is mentioned in the oringinal post. I’m mainly just after the photos to help guide me through it.

Cheers
TomFry

How to clean the D4D intake and EGR sytem

Postby gold member on Thu, 18 Jan 2018 6:32 +0000

Deleted post
Last edited by gold member on Fri, 12 Apr 2019 2:29 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
gold member

Postby wnfilho on Mon, 22 Jan 2018 9:59 +0000

Hi guys, I want to clean my 13 Hilux and I saw the first post had the information and pictures of the process. But now I cant see the pictures anymore. Had anyone with the pictures to help me?
Do you use torquemeter to tighten the screws?

Thanks a lot

Edit: I found on internet a chrome extension which help me to see the pictures. Thanks guys for all the information! I expect clean tomorrow and I return with the results! Thanks!
wnfilho

Postby Sam Gribley on Mon, 05 Mar 2018 12:22 +0000

gold member wrote:
TomFry wrote:Hey guys

It’s my first post on the forum so I’ll keep it short.

I was hoping to have a go at this myself but it’s a bit of a step up from the work that I’ve done previously. Does anyone have a copy of the word doc that is mentioned in the oringinal post. I’m mainly just after the photos to help guide me through it.

Cheers

I have the doc , if you PM your email address i can send it to you

Hey mate, I would also love a copy if it's not too much hassle. Hopefully the instructions are easy enough for a 2010 SR. I'll send a PM.
Sam Gribley

Postby Lachdonlux on Mon, 12 Mar 2018 5:35 +0000

hey guys, new here too and would love a copy of the docco if anyones got it?? keen to give it a go

Cheers
Lachdonlux

Postby blatcho on Wed, 21 Mar 2018 2:21 +0000

So this might be a stupid question but can anyone explain to me how these inlet manifolds work? I pulled mine of today to do a clean and wasnt expecting to find secondary inlet ports with flaps in them
blatcho

Postby Critter350 on Thu, 22 Mar 2018 9:57 +0000

blatcho wrote:So this might be a stupid question but can anyone explain to me how these inlet manifolds work? I pulled mine of today to do a clean and wasnt expecting to find secondary inlet ports with flaps in them

The answer is in this thread somewhere, but basically at lower revs the flaps are closed to keep the port velocity up, which helps with gas change over from burnt to fresh. Then at higher revs the flaps open to allow better flow.

Critter350

Postby JoeBloog on Wed, 04 Apr 2018 3:37 +0000

how can i view the photos please. its not showing.
JoeBloog

Postby apSlain on Thu, 05 Apr 2018 9:08 +0000

JoeBloog wrote:how can i view the photos please. its not showing.

I re-uploaded them here.
Check out Slain's Overlander, a perpetual work-in-progress.
apSlain

Postby Torsion on Wed, 18 Apr 2018 6:45 +0000

Excellent work apSlain.
Torsion

Postby Kymadn on Mon, 16 Jul 2018 2:13 +0000

Hi Guys, i did my EGR valve clean and elbow last weekend. All went well. I have ordered new gaskets and a 17mm crows foot before i tackle the intake manifold. I read this whole thread and have not seen anyone mention the correct method for cleaning the inlet valve ports on the head.

I came across this very useful video on Youtube regarding the EGR system clean for a Hilux:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ5s6mgK0h8

The guy in the video talks about putting a spanner on the radiator fan to turn the motor and close each port as you clean it. He uses an air compressor while the port is closed to blow the crud out. Then he continues to the next port after turning the motor and closing the valve.

Anyone else used this method? Does the inlet completely close? is there any chance the crud will blow into the motor with this method?
Kymadn

Postby Critter350 on Tue, 17 Jul 2018 4:14 +0000

Closing the valves sounds like a good idea, doesn’t guarantee it but your probably less likely to get crud into the engine. Still a good chance some will collect on top of the valve somewhere and dislodge when it’s running, but hopefully be ejected out the exhaust.

Critter350

Postby chieftain on Wed, 19 Sep 2018 7:18 +0000

I just cleaned 2013 hilux 4wd 1KD-ftv erg valve and the inlet manifold. I following this method found on here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ5s6mgK0h8 I to used a compressed air gun on the inlet ports and blew all the crud out of eack port rotating the fan and watching as the valve closed up then got into it, I covered each port once it was cleaned with duck tape, it was pretty easy once I got going and they come up pretty clean
The inlet manifold was a dirty bitch to clean, I scrapped out as much as I could then hit it with Mr Muscle oven cleaner and a pressure washer. i repeated the process 4-5 times, also bent up some welding rods at right angles to scrap out those hard to get to spots, it took a few hrs to clean the inlet manifold properly but came up like new I also fitted a provent catch can, a 2 micron primary fuel filter and a blanking plate with 7mm hole
It made a huge difference, the vehicle goes well but I kept getting the engine light around 100kms with fault code P0400 coming on, I played around with the vacuum lines and checked everything, reset the ecu a number of times over the week but you could guarantee at around 100kms of driving the light would come back on so i took the blanking plate out, and no light, blanking plates are a hoax on a 2013 model
chieftain

Postby hiluxxury on Thu, 20 Sep 2018 6:44 +0000

chieftain wrote:I just cleaned 2013 hilux 4wd 1KD-ftv erg valve and the inlet manifold. I following this method found on here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ5s6mgK0h8 I to used a compressed air gun on the inlet ports and blew all the crud out of eack port rotating the fan and watching as the valve closed up then got into it, I covered each port once it was cleaned with duck tape, it was pretty easy once I got going and they come up pretty clean
The inlet manifold was a dirty bitch to clean, I scrapped out as much as I could then hit it with Mr Muscle oven cleaner and a pressure washer. i repeated the process 4-5 times, also bent up some welding rods at right angles to scrap out those hard to get to spots, it took a few hrs to clean the inlet manifold properly but came up like new I also fitted a provent catch can, a 2 micron primary fuel filter and a blanking plate with 7mm hole
It made a huge difference, the vehicle goes well but I kept getting the engine light around 100kms with fault code P0400 coming on, I played around with the vacuum lines and checked everything, reset the ecu a number of times over the week but you could guarantee at around 100kms of driving the light would come back on so i took the blanking plate out, and no light, blanking plates are a hoax on a 2013 model

G'day chietian and welcome to the forum.

There is heaps in information here on blanking plates. Some models do ok, some don't.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby jas6395 on Fri, 09 Nov 2018 12:48 +0000

For anyone reading this, OVEN CLEANER is the go. Recommend by a mechanic that does a lot of these and works a treat.
jas6395

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks