Roof Racks and wind noise

Postby cjfish on Sat, 03 Jul 2010 5:57 +0000

Hi All,

I have a set of Thule roof racks (aero bar style) for my 06 D4D dual cab. The vehicle has an alloy tray on the back so I generally only use one roof rack at the front of the vehicle and use the head board bar as the rear one. I have found that there is a considerable amount of wind noise with the roof rack. Does anyone else experience this? I believe the Toyota racks are just re-badged Thule ones. I tried to make a sheet metal version of the Thule Fairing (wind deflector) which did help a little but there was still a fair amount of noise there. I am not too keen on the Thule Fairing either as when I put a 2" lift under it the roof rack will have to come off to get it in the garage. If I have the fairing on there it is just one more thing to remove.

Does anyone have the Rhino racks with the track mounted to the roof? I am thinking that these might be a little quieter as the bar (aero) sits closer to the roof of the car and one also has the ability to move the rack closer to the rear of the car which may lessen the noise.

I have done a search on the site for roof rack wind noise but can't seem to find it again. At the time I don't remember reading anything about the Rhino track mounted rack.

Any feedback or assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

CJ
cjfish

Re: Roof Racks and wind noise

Postby jakelux on Sat, 03 Jul 2010 6:50 +0000

I've got the square rhino racks mounted to tracks... Noise??.. I cant hear them over my tyres and stereo!! :lol:
jakelux

Postby Joshua D on Sat, 03 Jul 2010 8:55 +0000

hey cjfish i have the rhino roof racks(oval shaped ones)and yes still noisey.wish i went the arb cab rack.
I think it would be fair to say what ever you put up there will make some sound.Drag =noise.
Joshua D

Postby cjfish on Sat, 03 Jul 2010 6:28 +0000

Joshua D wrote:hey cjfish i have the rhino roof racks(oval shaped ones)and yes still noisey.wish i went the arb cab rack.
I think it would be fair to say what ever you put up there will make some sound.Drag =noise.

Hi Joshua,
Are your rhino racks mounted on top of the roof with the pad system or in tracks that are permanently mounted to the roof?

I agree, that there will be some noise. I had the same roof racks on my 2000 model hilux and the noise was hardly noticable. The main differences I can see are that the new shape windscreen slopes more and that the bar sits a lot further above the roof than the previous model. That is why I was thinking that the track system may move the bar closer to the roof and also having the ability to move it back slightly may mean that any noise is not right above my head.

Thanks for your reply guys.

Cheers,

CJ
cjfish

Postby matske on Sun, 04 Jul 2010 10:15 +0000

I have my rhino racks up for sale there the ones on tracks goin cheap I have no need for them
you get a bit of wind noise but it's not to bad
matske

Postby djs0276 on Sun, 04 Jul 2010 10:58 +0000

I have the heavy duty rhino racks fitted to the tracks. They made a low humming noise, at first I thought I was following a V8 until I worked out what it was. A week later I fitted an alloy roof cage and an awning, and the noise disappeared. I haven't noticed any noise since then, even at freeway speeds.
08 D/cab SR5, ARB Front & Rear Diff locks, ARB Deluxe Bar, Dual Battery, Lightforce 240HID's, ORS Rear Drawers, OME Nitro Sport Suspension kit, ARB Side steps & brush bars, Taipan 3" exhaust.
GIC Extreme Offroad Camper trailer
djs0276
Platinum Subscriber

Postby profoundly_disturbed on Mon, 09 Aug 2010 3:01 +0000

I have the Rhino HD's (square) track mounted, would wake the dead unloaded. With rigid roof top tent on, not a sound! So the bars come off with the tent.

What a shame Toyota didn't have the sense to use the Land Cruiser 100 series mount in the channel.
profoundly_disturbed

Postby Mr G on Wed, 18 Aug 2010 11:17 +0000

I also have the Rhino HD (square) bars over my canopy, there is no noise at all (noticeable from the cabin) I'm also running BF Muddies so there may be a little noise from them that blends in. I also have a roof top tent and side awning, the awning stays fixed there all the time, tent comes and goes when needed. still no noise.. so I would guess the further back you can mount things, the better for noise and drag...
Mr G

Postby cjfish on Sat, 21 Aug 2010 5:22 +0000

Hi All,

I purchased a set of second hand Rhino square bars and fitted them into the tracks. The noise is less than the Thule ones and I now mount the bar at the back of the cab when I am not using it and I don't hear any noise from the driving position. I do get a whistle noise though when I have the window down. I will try and block the ends of the rack and see if that stops the problem.

Thanks to all for your feedback.

Cheers,

CJ
cjfish

Postby Phatlux on Wed, 04 Jan 2012 3:30 +0000

profoundly_disturbed wrote:I have the Rhino HD's (square) track mounted, would wake the dead unloaded. With rigid roof top tent on, not a sound! So the bars come off with the tent.

What a shame Toyota didn't have the sense to use the Land Cruiser 100 series mount in the channel.

I just got back from ARB after getting them to fit HD rhino racks (square version). Very annoying whistle now occurs when I drive. This is unloaded ( yet to try loaded) anyone able to reduce the whistle noise?? Or even figure out where it's comming from??

Regards

Ben
Phatlux

Postby m.fuller on Wed, 04 Jan 2012 4:05 +0000

I have the thule Pro bars on my canopy, when I first had them installed the whistle would annoy the hell out of me. After putting up with it for months a mate suggested I cover up the T slot at the bottom of the bar with tape, I tried it and the whistle was no more. I ended up getting some rubber for $30 from Clark rubber as the tape kept peeling off and this worked really well and looked much more professional.

Matt
m.fuller

Postby Steveyb on Wed, 04 Jan 2012 5:22 +0000

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3056

Read that thread boys... I used angle extrusion to remove the 60Km whistle... still blunt/dull sound at 100km.

got aero replacements and they are heaps quieter, still a bit of noise but it can be ignored
NLC
Steveyb

Postby finch212 on Mon, 24 Mar 2014 1:46 +0000

m.fuller wrote:I have the thule Pro bars on my canopy, when I first had them installed the whistle would annoy the hell out of me. After putting up with it for months a mate suggested I cover up the T slot at the bottom of the bar with tape, I tried it and the whistle was no more. I ended up getting some rubber for $30 from Clark rubber as the tape kept peeling off and this worked really well and looked much more professional.

Matt

Can the Thule bars withstand the weight of a rooftop tent and 150kg sleeping in it? I do not like the idea of drilling into my roof for something that will only be used a few times a year.
finch212

Postby packeteer on Mon, 24 Mar 2014 2:39 +0000

even with the most stream lined racks you're gonna get noise

I had the Rhino aero bar and it was fairly quiet, but get the right wind and they'd still make a lot of noise
2011 Dual Cab SR5 D4D manual.
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby Simmo61 on Tue, 25 Mar 2014 5:17 +0000

m.fuller wrote:I have the thule Pro bars on my canopy, when I first had them installed the whistle would annoy the hell out of me. After putting up with it for months a mate suggested I cover up the T slot at the bottom of the bar with tape, I tried it and the whistle was no more. I ended up getting some rubber for $30 from Clark rubber as the tape kept peeling off and this worked really well and looked much more professional.

Matt

I have the Toyota (Thule) racks which sound like a wood wind orchestra. Did the same thing, taped up the slot which made them a bit quieter.
I remove them when not in use. Takes less than 2 minutes and same to re fit.....very easy.
P.s. If you remove the Toyota sticker it says Thule underneath.
Simmo61

Postby calo78 on Thu, 31 Mar 2016 11:20 +0000

I have a set of Rhino Rack Vortex 2500 bars on my 2010. Anything faster than 70km/ph & its like someone constantly whistling in your ear.
I don't recommend these.
calo78

Postby DeadlyBeast on Thu, 31 Mar 2016 4:07 +0000

Vortex Quick Release RLT600 bars with RTS03 track set . Vortex generating strips fitted - No problem with sound at all.
DeadlyBeast

Return to Tips & Tricks