Inner guard clips

Inner guard clips

Postby 70graham on Sun, 30 May 2010 1:07 +0000

Does anyone know how to remove the plastic clips holding the rear plastic inner guards on without breaking the clips?
70graham

Re: Inner guard clips

Postby MADDOG on Mon, 31 May 2010 11:37 +0000

I don't think you can reach all of them but if you get underneath behind the mudflap you can reach up behind the plastic guards. If you give the clip a bit of a squeeze and wobble you should be able to push it out. You might be able to get your hand up between the front of the tub and the arch as well but I haven't tried that. You may have to just pull the others that you can't reach and hope they come out undamaged. One or two missing doesn't hurt. At the front the inner clips can be access in the engine bay. Have said all this I'm sure they would be cheap to replace.
MADDOG

Postby 70graham on Mon, 31 May 2010 11:47 +0000

Thanks I'll give it a go
70graham

Postby VMN on Mon, 31 May 2010 12:11 +0000

These clips have retaining lugs on two diagonal corners. If you can work out the two corners, you can push them in with a small screwdriver, Usually if you push one corner in, you can move the clip enough for the other side to come out.

failing that buy new clips and cut them off
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

Postby Drew on Wed, 02 Jun 2010 9:21 +0000

Ihave removed my inner guards a few times now to fit bits and pieces. first i tried to save them but this was doing my head in lol its much easier and faster to pull them out with pliers and buy some new ones from toyota they are cheap !!!
Im not stuck..... Im thinking
Drew

Postby berniecam on Mon, 12 Jul 2010 6:52 +0000

Better Yet.I worked out a long time ago a better way to deal with these little suckers.Having pulled the inner guards off & on many times over the years.Yep the first removal can be quite difficult I use a small screwdriver to try & push the two little lugs in so you can get them out perservere it can be done.After removal life becomes very easy.BEFORE YOU PUT THE INNER GUARD BACK IN go around & reinstall the old clips if they are OK (if not get new ones) straight into the body holes they came out of. Reposition the inner guards over the body holes that now contain the installed clips get the right size( most dealers keep them in stock) hex headed (also have a phillips slot in the hex head) screws, these screws will screw easily into the plugs you installed in the body they are a genuine toyota part number black in color about 8-10 mill long they have a wide washer molded onto the head.( I have the toyo part number here it is 90159-60478, i think it is a pack of about 10 ).The inner guard can be installed & removed any time after you do this mod,just remove screws & reinstall.You can also use this for the mudflaps.CHEERS :D :D
berniecam

Postby boxhead55 on Tue, 06 Aug 2013 6:45 +0000

70graham wrote:Does anyone know how to remove the plastic clips holding the rear plastic inner guards on without breaking the clips?

You use a 10mm socket or ring spanner push it over the back of the clip. This compresses the 2 retainers and the plug just slips out

Hope this helps.
boxhead55

Postby WinM70 on Mon, 26 Aug 2013 5:12 +0000

berniecam wrote:Better Yet.I worked out a long time ago a better way to deal with these little suckers.Having pulled the inner guards off & on many times over the years.Yep the first removal can be quite difficult I use a small screwdriver to try & push the two little lugs in so you can get them out perservere it can be done.After removal life becomes very easy.BEFORE YOU PUT THE INNER GUARD BACK IN go around & reinstall the old clips if they are OK (if not get new ones) straight into the body holes they came out of. Reposition the inner guards over the body holes that now contain the installed clips get the right size( most dealers keep them in stock) hex headed (also have a phillips slot in the hex head) screws, these screws will screw easily into the plugs you installed in the body they are a genuine toyota part number black in color about 8-10 mill long they have a wide washer molded onto the head.( I have the toyo part number here it is 90159-60478, i think it is a pack of about 10 ).The inner guard can be installed & removed any time after you do this mod,just remove screws & reinstall.You can also use this for the mudflaps.CHEERS :D :D

I like it, after all they are called a "screw grommet" or something along those lines.
I always just buy new ones for less than a dollar each and use a sharp chisel to knock the tops off the old ones.

Lee.
Keeping Australia beautiful, one feral at a time.
WinM70

Return to Tips & Tricks