** Steve9R's Contaminated Diesel Fuel Warning Mod **

Re: ** Steve9R's Contaminated Diesel Fuel Warning Mod **

Postby James84 on Wed, 04 Jun 2014 2:25 +0000

I just did this mod, pretty happy with it!
My local Jaycar didn't have the same Piezo, but another, bigger duller sounding one.
Wired it all up, jumped the water sensor wires, and it's annoying! Success!
I shoved my piezo into the hole in the dash where the A/C- climate control hose/sensor goes. (That little grill near drivers left knee)
2008 Hilux DC Ute 3ltr D4D Auto.

http://www.jamesruff.net
James84

Postby Dewbs on Wed, 04 Jun 2014 3:21 +0000

I'll be adding this to my to do list, thanks :-)
Dewbs

Postby Mrmal on Wed, 04 Nov 2015 2:19 +0000

I put my filter on as a post filter and did this mod - so now the OEM filter needs to fill up past the buzzer and then fill the 400ml in the post filter - gives you ample time to stop if water makes it through - done the pump and injectors due to water so love this mod as it goes audible over the flashing light.
Mrmal

Postby mix06lux on Mon, 06 Mar 2017 9:08 +0000

Can someone tell me why we need the diode? I can't see a need for it in this set up.

I use them on my push switches to stop the power keeping the light on constantly but can't we the need with the buzzer.
mix06lux

Postby fracturedranga on Mon, 06 Mar 2017 11:06 +0000

I havent dont this mod and havent looked at the wiring diagrams for the dash but id say due to it being negatively switched (12v to 0v to turn on) the diode is there to stop it back feeding 12v when the key is off. Not a huge issue if you run from constant 12v but could cause dramas if tapping into an accessory 12v. For the sake of 50c its a no brainer
fracturedranga

Postby wombat81 on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 8:43 +0000

Can confirm my Jan 2010 build KUN26 has the factory buzzer. Thanks heaps for the write up, though. I wouldn't have known if it wasn't for this.
Current: 2021 SR Dual Cab Chassis 4x4 2.8TD Manual
Retired: 2010 SR Dual Cab Chassis 4x4 3.0TD Manual
My current (2021 model) build thread
My previous (2010 model) build thread
wombat81

Postby NofishNT on Fri, 02 Jun 2017 7:40 +0000

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and I am yet to take delivery of my new Hilux. I have been perusing the forum looking at everyone's ideas and things I should consider. I imagine that I won't need this mod (2017 Hilux) however I have a query. I can understand and I am aware of the effects, cost and cause of contaminated fuel I am just wondering where the information came from "you have less than 1km to stop the engine and drain the water." I also have 120 Prado (1kz, different engine) and have had the water in fuel indicator come on didn't have the 1km issue. Is this just rumour or is it based on evidence?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NofishNT

Postby fracturedranga on Fri, 02 Jun 2017 8:54 +0000

I think it depends on how much water is in your fuel. The bottom of the filter has a water trap as diesel floats on water. If its stuff all itll just sit in the bottom of your filter and not be an issue but if you get alot ot will fill up quick and as soon as it hits the filter pickup your done. Common sense is if the buzzer goes off pull over straight away and drain the trap and keep a close eye on it to see how quickly it takes to fill back up then drain the tank if necessary. Youll obviously have a little bit longer if you have a second water trap/filter and the buzzer is in the first trap/filter
fracturedranga

Postby Rob_Wood on Mon, 25 Apr 2022 4:24 +0000

Steve9R wrote:Steve9R's Contaminated Diesel Fuel Warning Mod

What this mod basically does is utilise the existing water sensor in the OEM Toyota Fuel filter. Currently this sensor will flash on the dash when it detects water in the fuel, but thats it.. so I wanted it to yell at me as well so that I really do notice something is wrong..

Cheers
Steve

Steve,
Mine is a 2004 ute and I am not sure I have the OEM Toyota Fuel Filter (With Moisture sensor) already fitted. Any thoughts or ideas?
Rob_Wood

Postby BillyGoatCountry on Mon, 13 Jun 2022 1:04 +0000

Steve9R wrote:on the standard single OEM filter both of those connections are on the one filter.. they have seperated them.. the lower connection is the water sensor trap, so they've moved that to the filter closer to the firewall so that if water is detected it'll flash the light in the cab.. the second filter isnt monitoring water..

Steve

Can someone tell me how to bypass the sensor on top of the OEM filter ?

I have removed the OEM unit completely because they have such a pissy little collection media area and i fitted dual Fuel Manager filters being a 30 micron and a 2 micron secondary , with also a water trap in the primary wired to a relay and a flashing light on the dash labelled WIF.

The yellow warning light is flashing on the dash because the sensor on top of the filter is not connected to anything , how do i deal with that ? I tried shorting the wires but the flashy yellow thing is still there , do i need to reset the OBD / ECU by disconnecting the battery pos terminal overnight as i have read somewhere ?

I dont know if this happened with anyone else , but at first i fitted only a 2 micron secondary filter after the OEM and my fuel economy went from 1060 km per 125 litre tank down to 960 km per tank.

When i removed the OEM filter and set up as dual FM100 with 30 micron primary and 3 micron secondary , my fuel economy went back to 1060 km per tank.

how do i fix the sensor connection / flashing yellow thing ?
BillyGoatCountry

Previous

Return to Tips & Tricks