** Steve9R's Contaminated Diesel Fuel Warning Mod **

Re: ** Steve9R's Contaminated Diesel Fuel Warning Mod **

Postby Steve9R on Sun, 12 Dec 2010 6:17 +0000

Thanks Rebs. Ill edit the first post to reflect this change..

Cheers
Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby phf on Sun, 12 Dec 2010 4:30 +0000

Thanks for the mod Steve.
I haven't fitted the mod but did a quick test to see if we could set off the fuel warning light first.
After shorting the two pins on the side of the fuel filter, it seems we already had a buzzer.
Ours is a January 2010 build

Great idea though
phf

Postby wasn on Tue, 14 Dec 2010 6:32 +0000

had another go this arvo, check plug=good check wiring and diodes orientation=good, hooked it up, no noise and begin to smile ad then the buzzer wiped the smile of my face! LOL.

So Im still in the dark as to why its is, even check everything with a multimeter. lol.
Now I'm waiting for the airbag to go off in my face with the dash on my lap.

maybe this week end have another crack and new buzzer as I broke a leg of the one I have
wasn

Postby Steve9R on Wed, 15 Dec 2010 3:27 +0000

wasn wrote:had another go this arvo, check plug=good check wiring and diodes orientation=good, hooked it up, no noise and begin to smile ad then the buzzer wiped the smile of my face! LOL.

So Im still in the dark as to why its is, even check everything with a multimeter. lol.
Now I'm waiting for the airbag to go off in my face with the dash on my lap.

maybe this week end have another crack and new buzzer as I broke a leg of the one I have

i dont understand what you've done wrong.. the ONLY reason that buzzer should go off is if you have water in the canister.. is the fuel light on the dash flashing as well ? if not, then you've connected the power and earth around the wrong way..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby wasn on Tue, 21 Dec 2010 5:07 +0000

OK, had abit of time this arvo and with the whole electronic tool set. Opened up the steering column and the proceed with making the buzzer item, load tested the buzzer=good and then hooked her up and the dreaded noise again, I'm now thinking maybe there is something else wrong, so I shut the door and it stop... hrmm
Going back to inspect where I made the negative wire connection, at a glance, it looked like a blue wire with a pink strip, but it was actually a pink wire with a LARGE blue strip and this is the door open activation circuit. So I located the other blue wire with pink strip and hooked her up, tested the load and all is fine..
I'm a happy camper now.
Thanks.
wasn

Postby Steve9R on Tue, 21 Dec 2010 6:10 +0000

:lol: :lol: had to be something simple :)

Cheers
Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby Bushbound on Fri, 11 Feb 2011 2:23 +0000

Steve,
Great mod, I fitted mine last weekend and tested it by lifting the float in fuel filter - all OK.
I tested all the buzzers at Jacar and bought the loudest one and even a woman is going to have to STOP Immediately and find out what is wrong.
I'll fit a CAV prefilter before my next trip.

My 2cents worth on fuel - I believe there is more likelyhood of picking up dirty diesel in a city than a remote location because outside the towns and cities most of the locals and the fuel outlet owners themselves are now driving common rail diesel engine vehicles, so they know how important clean fuel is. Most city servo's dont give a rats about diesel or its users.
Geoff
Danger is natures way of eliminating stupid people.
Bushbound

Postby gruntre69 on Sat, 12 Mar 2011 3:13 +0000

I just tested mine by shorting the sensor leads. Mine is 12-09 and it does have the beep and light. I had already bought the bits to fit the mod and have decided to fit it anyway because in my opinion the factory beep is not very loud and if you had the stereo cranked you could miss it. You would have to be pretty silly to miss the flashing light and the factory beep but never know. Nobody could ever miss that Piezo shreek!!!

I'm all for it!

Mine is installed!

Thanks Steve! Great mod mate!
Cheers

Grunter
http://gatorz.com.au/
If it's in the way...... use it for traction!
My build thread
gruntre69

Postby bortho on Sun, 10 Apr 2011 10:57 +0000

Thanks Steve,

i just installed my buzzer today using your instructions. i got a 91db peizo from jaycar and already had diodes from my alarm which was installed yesterday.
to test it i just put it on accessories, drained the fuel filter to remove all contents, including any water that may have been in there aswell (hopefully there wasn't any), then lifted the filter up off its bracket and turned it upside down, instantly the peizo was going off.
simple mod that could potentially save people quite abit of money one day, especially if you had let a friend or something drive it oneday and they don't see the light flashing, atleast now anybody would pull over and shut the motor off to that.

Thanks again,

Ian
bortho

Postby Steve9R on Sun, 10 Apr 2011 4:05 +0000

Cheers mate. Im just pleased people are using it..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby rosco01 on Mon, 11 Apr 2011 8:58 +0000

Don't know how I missed this mod Steve9R....... too busy typing, I expect.....

About to trundle down to Jaycar Ringwood and get the parts - another project added to my list of boxes to tick....

Thanks for contributing the time, effort and follow up to this mod - it's blokes like yourself that make this forum what it is.....

frats,
Rosco
rosco01

Postby 4wheelin on Mon, 16 May 2011 10:05 +0000

could have used this mod 18 months back after getting a gut full of water in the system and stuffed the pump! also change the filter a lot more often that the book service their not that dear! will do this mod sooner than later.
cheers
4wheelin

Postby stuckindmud on Thu, 28 Jul 2011 12:17 +0000

Great Mod here Steve, definately on my to-do list.

What about the pressure diaphram at the top of the filter? Do you have a way to test that as well? My understanding is that it senses the pressure differential across the filter, and when it gets too high (dirty filter) , it lights the symbol on that dash and keeps it on.

I am now doing some research on this system so if you guys can share your knowledge that would be great!

Also if you guys have any suggestions about the light coming on and staying on I would appreciate it. I`m trying to help out a buddy who`s having that symptom. truck runs fine, filter changed, usual reset methods did not work, said it hapend while driving through rough roads , only issue is the light is on constantly.

I recommended Steve`s suggestion to leave the battery pole off overnight to reset the ECU.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Shane
stuckindmud

Postby Steve9R on Thu, 28 Jul 2011 1:28 +0000

Yeah keep that discussion going over in that thread rather than here.. crossposting just makes things messy.

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby Swinny on Wed, 10 Aug 2011 6:22 +0000

orsome mod mate cheers
Swinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ozsurfer on Tue, 16 Aug 2011 1:47 +0000

Thanks Steve for a great write up and a mod that is well worth doing.

Just for info, mine is a 07/10 and like others already utilises the flashing light with the standard buzzer. I then fitted the small, but LOUD, jaycar buzzer which will no longer leave me guessing as to what is happening with the truck when that buzzer starts sounding. I really like how it goes off instantly instead of me having to wait for the light to flash, as if this problem occurs I will be wanting to react instantly and turn the thing off!

With very little effort and at almost no cost I see this mod as a MUST for that bit of extra piece of mind.

Cheers,
Andrew
ozsurfer

Postby patto26 on Thu, 29 Sep 2011 10:18 +0000

Hi Steve , a very interesting modification , i ordered the parts this morning to do the job.
I was wondering if you know if this buzzer mod could also be fitted to the temperature warning light as by the time the light is noticed often it is to late. I bought the parts online at jaycar from your docket but had to buy 2 buzzers to get the invoice total above their $10 limit so have extra bits.
Cheers
patto26

Postby tomed101 on Thu, 01 Dec 2011 10:05 +0000

So I'm slowly figuring out all of the modifications the previous owner of my 05 SR has done, and one thing that is there is a second fuel filter (genuine Toyota) fitted. Pic:
01122011175 by tomed101, on Flickr
I am trying to figure out what they have done with the wiring of the filters. The first filter (closest to the tank) has the following connection on it:

01122011177 by tomed101, on Flickr

Where as the second filter has this connection:
01122011176 by tomed101, on Flickr

So each filter has the respective connection, but they only have one connection each. Should they be set up in this way, or should both connections be on the first (or second) filter?

Thoughts?
tomed101

Postby 9W6VX on Thu, 01 Dec 2011 11:09 +0000

Hmm.... first time i have seen a double genuine fuel filter system here.

Looks quite neat though.
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby Steve9R on Thu, 01 Dec 2011 11:25 +0000

on the standard single OEM filter both of those connections are on the one filter.. they have seperated them.. the lower connection is the water sensor trap, so they've moved that to the filter closer to the firewall so that if water is detected it'll flash the light in the cab.. the second filter isnt monitoring water..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks