** Steve9R's Contaminated Diesel Fuel Warning Mod **

Re: ** Steve9R's Contaminated Diesel Fuel Warning Mod **

Postby Steve9R on Mon, 13 Sep 2010 3:22 +0000

ruste13 wrote:Is there a part number for the diodes? i may have missed it.

cheers russ

If you look on the first page you can see the receipt for the parts you need.. the part numbers are on that..

Cheers
Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby Cool95 on Thu, 21 Oct 2010 5:04 +0000

I have read this thread with great interest, its excellent cheap way to alert the driver when the filter first detects water. When the car starts up and the lamp test for water lights up does the piezo sound as well?
Cool95

Postby Steve9R on Thu, 21 Oct 2010 6:53 +0000

no.. the test lamp on start up is just an initialization.. it dosent set the piezo off..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby Cool95 on Sun, 24 Oct 2010 2:48 +0000

Thanks Steve.... bought the parts yesterday and will install and move the Autron cruise control light at the same time when the dash is out. I don't think I will test it with water as per Steve9R but like to test the piezo, can someone publish a picture on what needs to be shorted to test it.....

Cheers
Cool95

Postby Steve9R on Sun, 24 Oct 2010 5:07 +0000

if you dont want to use water, you can simply remove the plug from the bottom of the fuel canister and short the two pins together.. that'll set the piezo off.. the only reason i did water, was to make sure the actual water float etc worked..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby Krat on Mon, 25 Oct 2010 7:16 +0000

I completed this project on my 07 SR this morning without a stuff up, which is good for me.
Thanks Steve for the process and the extra help along the way. I tested it today by shorting the 2 pins on the filter and heard the noise from the cab.
Great Success.
Hope I never hear that noise again.

Kev.
Krat

Postby Piggy_2007 on Fri, 05 Nov 2010 1:49 +0000

Hi all

I've just installed a delphi (cav style) secondary fuel filter on my D4D, not sure if is sucking in air from some ware (I am planning to replace the silly original clips on the fuel lines with proper hose clamps this weekend) but every time I go to start the thing I have to re-prime/pump up the the fuel on the original filter especially if it has been sitting a while. any body else had this problem ?
Mankind didn't fight it's way and evolve to the top of the food chain to be vegetarian
Piggy_2007

Postby Steve9R on Mon, 08 Nov 2010 6:41 +0000

Piggy_2007 wrote:Hi all

I've just installed a delphi (cav style) secondary fuel filter on my D4D, not sure if is sucking in air from some ware (I am planning to replace the silly original clips on the fuel lines with proper hose clamps this weekend) but every time I go to start the thing I have to re-prime/pump up the the fuel on the original filter especially if it has been sitting a while. any body else had this problem ?

check out the thread on the delphi air issues for more information on this problem, and post in the thread below if you still have issues..

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7246&start=0

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby wasn on Mon, 29 Nov 2010 3:34 +0000

Just try to do this mod, and followed instruction, but mine went of imaediately when the lose red wire end touches 12+ power, dunno what happen there, LOL. well i packed it away for now and have a another go in a few days time when someone can shed more light as to why mine went of on it own.
If it works I would say it would be the best mod on a diesel hilux.
wasn

Postby Steve9R on Tue, 30 Nov 2010 6:16 +0000

wasn wrote:Just try to do this mod, and followed instruction, but mine went of imaediately when the lose red wire end touches 12+ power, dunno what happen there, LOL. well i packed it away for now and have a another go in a few days time when someone can shed more light as to why mine went of on it own.
If it works I would say it would be the best mod on a diesel hilux.

hmm.. make sure you have the piezo buzzer wired in the right way... thing is.. if you HAVE wired it correctly then perhaps there is a short in your wiring to the canister ? try disconnecting the plug from the bottom of the canister and see whether it still goes off ?

if it dosent, then perhaps your sensor in your canister is stuffed, or there is already water in there ?

Let us know what you find though...

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby wasn on Tue, 30 Nov 2010 1:08 +0000

Ok, I thought about water already in there, but I'll check tht tomorrow, abit hot the crawling over the Hilux today.
Thanks for the tips
wasn

Postby shanno on Sat, 04 Dec 2010 11:31 +0000

Mod done! It was pretty simple to do. The hardest part was figuring out what accessory wire to use for the power. I ended up using the black wire that runs to the top of the cigarette lighter (for future reference) :D

Thanks Steve! :mrgreen:
shanno

Postby Rebs on Sun, 05 Dec 2010 7:09 +0000

Was slowly getting around to doing this mod then I read in the owners manual today that if water is detected in the fuel filter, the light and the buzzer both alert the driver. Mine is an 07/2010 build.
Rebs
Rebs

Postby Steve9R on Mon, 06 Dec 2010 6:36 +0000

Rebs wrote:Was slowly getting around to doing this mod then I read in the owners manual today that if water is detected in the fuel filter, the light and the buzzer both alert the driver. Mine is an 07/2010 build.
Rebs

thats interesting.. can you check that for us ? just disconnect the wire from the bottom of the canister and join the two wires together with a small piece of wire.. then turn on your ignition (no need to start).. the light should flash, but do you have a buzzer too ??

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby Rebs on Mon, 06 Dec 2010 6:32 +0000

Steve9R wrote:
Rebs wrote:Was slowly getting around to doing this mod then I read in the owners manual today that if water is detected in the fuel filter, the light and the buzzer both alert the driver. Mine is an 07/2010 build.
Rebs

thats interesting.. can you check that for us ? just disconnect the wire from the bottom of the canister and join the two wires together with a small piece of wire.. then turn on your ignition (no need to start).. the light should flash, but do you have a buzzer too ??

Steve

Did exactly what you said and the buzzer gave off a continuous tone and the light stayed on.
Rebs
Rebs

Postby pisso01 on Sat, 11 Dec 2010 6:30 +0000

Ill be doing this today for sure.. Great idea, thanks Steave9R..

Would there be any advantage in doing your mod as well as putting the gold coast diesel filter in closer to the fuel tank. Then you might have heaps of warning if the gold coast diesel one goes off but still feel safe that after you have emtied it that there is no water in the factory one.. Just thinking if your in the middle of no where and you have to get back to clean out the system properly..

Cheers,

Chris.
My touring Lux - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=7795 - Nearly finished
pisso01

Postby Steve9R on Sat, 11 Dec 2010 1:26 +0000

Rebs wrote:
Steve9R wrote:
Rebs

Steve

Did exactly what you said and the buzzer gave off a continuous tone and the light stayed on.
Rebs

So verify for us then Rebs.. you HAVENT done this mod have you ?? and which exact build date is your lux ? if you havent done it then it appears Toyota owe me a slab of beer as they've finally done the mod too! :lol: :lol:

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby Steve9R on Sat, 11 Dec 2010 1:29 +0000

pisso01 wrote:Ill be doing this today for sure.. Great idea, thanks Steave9R..

Would there be any advantage in doing your mod as well as putting the gold coast diesel filter in closer to the fuel tank. Then you might have heaps of warning if the gold coast diesel one goes off but still feel safe that after you have emtied it that there is no water in the factory one.. Just thinking if your in the middle of no where and you have to get back to clean out the system properly..

Cheers,

Chris.

Its up to you.. personally.. depending on how long since i filled up id drain the canister, clean out my pre filter, pump some fuel through and keep going.. if it refills quickly, then yes you're in trouble and need to dump and replace..

but that can happen no matter how many filters you've got..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby pisso01 on Sat, 11 Dec 2010 7:24 +0000

Fair enough.. I might just stick with your mod and save the money..

Just did it and its the easiest thing Ive done.. Took me about an hour out in the street in the dark so would have been quicker if I could see better.. Thanks Steve, no one should go with out this one...

Thanks,

Chris.
My touring Lux - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=7795 - Nearly finished
pisso01

Postby Rebs on Sat, 11 Dec 2010 9:55 +0000

Steve9R wrote:
So verify for us then Rebs.. you HAVENT done this mod have you ?? and which exact build date is your lux ? if you havent done it then it appears Toyota owe me a slab of beer as they've finally done the mod too! :lol: :lol:

Steve

Steve, I have not done your mod as Toyota have done it for me. Good luck with the slab!
I got this lux in July and the compliance plate (sorry, sticker) in the back passenger door opening shows 07/10.
The warning light and buzzer combination is referred to in the owners manual.
I have since fitted a Gold Coast Diesel water trap (without their warning system) downstream of the Toyota filter.
This provides more volume and time to react if I get the water in fuel warning, before it reaches the injector pump. It makes more sense to me to set up this way than have a prefilter or trap upstream of the Toyota filter, unless it has its own warning system and I don't see the need to buy a second warning system.
Very happy with the Gold Coast Diesel water trap and their service. It came clean and sealed and ready to install and exceeds the flow rate required for fuel recirculation. You can buy the unit without the electrics for a very reasonable price IMO.
A lot different to the first one I bought online which turned out to be a cheap imported piece of sh!t that had more leaks than a shower head and the rubber seals didn't like diesel fuel!
I have no affiliation with Gold Coast Diesel, just a happy customer.
Rebs
Rebs

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks