Ipod intergration oversight

Ipod intergration oversight

Postby gruntre69 on Wed, 20 Jan 2010 8:22 +0000

Not really a tip or trick but a question.

I've just bought a 12-09 Xcab D4D and I love it. Love it even more after getting rid of those stupid warning beeps.

I have a problem with the Ipod integration however. (6th gen Ipod 160 GB)

I prefer to run Ipod exclusively for my tunes and love the idea of intergration to the colour screen/stereo unit.

My problem is that I mostly select music by artist and my Ipod has around 1000 artists. There doesn't seem to be a way to fast scroll the artist list, meaning that to get to an artist starting with P, I have to hold the arrow key for about 3 minutes. The ipod has a fast scroll feature which jumps through a letter at a time until you get to the letter you need. Luckily if you disconnect the ipod and fast scroll on the Ipod nav pad and start playing the Artist/Album you want, it seems to continue when repluged into the USB port.

It also seems to disabled most of the Ipod navigation features when you are driving. This is Also really annoying because a passanger can't even select new music, let alone the driver.

It seems the ipod link wasn't really tested by Toyota. Maybe the Toyota design guys just aren't into music???

Does anybody else find these things annoying and more to the point has anybody found a way to get this working the way it should?

I'm also wondering if the Stereo unit is firmware updateable so that if these issues are resolved, there will be the option to get a simple fix?

Could end up just ditching the USB in favour of the Auxilary plug and staying with the Ipod for Navigating and choosing music.. Seems a shame....
Cheers

Grunter
http://gatorz.com.au/
If it's in the way...... use it for traction!
My build thread
gruntre69

Re: Ipod intergration oversight

Postby ultimate on Wed, 20 Jan 2010 10:55 +0000

I went straight to the auxiliary connection with mine. That way the passenger can operate everything straight off the ipod (or iphone in my case).
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby matty87 on Wed, 20 Jan 2010 8:16 +0000

the ipod software has been developed over many years to get to the point is at and has had alot of input from some of the brightest kids in software development. deal with the fact that the stocko stereo is really not that flash as even tho you brought the top of the range model it is still a work truck and as such stereos dont sell em practicality does. if ya want flash jbs have tones of good gear to take an ipod and make it easy to control.
a glorious lack of sophistication
matty87

Postby teq on Thu, 21 Jan 2010 12:09 +0000

the idea behind disabling ipod menus while driving is for your own safety (and everyone elses)
I personally use the 3.5mm jack because it's easy
teq

Postby Alby on Wed, 27 Jan 2010 2:57 +0000

I have a windows CE based head unit (almost the same as digi options one)and i have been able to access the playlists in my ipod via the menu section when I use the ipod dock port, just keep pressing the menu button and it takes you in to the next level past the song list. Found out by accident when I double pressed it on a bumpy road on the weekend. Don't think you can do the searches via artist though but if you set up playlists that is the next best thing.
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby urmf on Fri, 14 Jan 2011 9:56 +0000

gruntre69 wrote:...There doesn't seem to be a way to fast scroll the artist list, meaning that to get to an artist starting with P, I have to hold the arrow key for about 3 minutes....

It's a conspiracy from the abba fan club :D
urmf

Postby hylux on Sat, 15 Jan 2011 5:30 +0000

I have found exactly the same and wish I could find a way around it. Like you I unpug mine and set to what I want then plug in again. My kids connect their I-Pod touch via blue tooth. They can fully control it but I can still adjust volume and skip their songs I dont like.
I love hybrid cars - means more fuel for me
hylux

Postby Chancha_Blanca on Sat, 15 Jan 2011 6:39 +0000

teq x2
Without Trucks, Australia Stops, Without Hilux, the World Stops!
Chancha_Blanca

Return to Tips & Tricks