Power Windows constant power

Re: Power Windows constant power

Postby gruntre69 on Sat, 08 May 2010 12:09 +0000

The other problem is the current rating of the redarc along with the price. By the look of the pins on the factory window relay I'm guessing that it is at least a 40A relay. (No rating printed on it)

The wolsentec unit at least can handle 20 amps.... I'm ordering a wolstentec TDR-P.

The shipping price is only US$3 which is a great deal.... There will also need to be an adaptor harnes made for this. And I have email from him that he can give me any time paramater that I require. I want more like 3 minutes than 60 second...

I'll post up this once it is fitted.
Cheers

Grunter
http://gatorz.com.au/
If it's in the way...... use it for traction!
My build thread
gruntre69

Postby Paulba on Sat, 08 May 2010 1:25 +0000

If your worried about the power use the TDR-P to switch the existing relay, that way you'll be confident of the power requirements.
Paulba

Postby Paulba on Mon, 10 May 2010 6:05 +0000

The jumper link mod is a great idea but I wasnt happy about having power to the windows permanently so I made up a
simple timer using the existing relay.

I used crimps to join to the relay and some modified tabs to fit in the socket. The joy of this is that its not permanent.

All the parts are easily available from jaycar.

The 50k pot gives an off delay time from zero to approx 10 mins, I have mine set at 5 mins

The other thing is that its cheap.

Enjoy

Paul
Last edited by Paulba on Tue, 26 Jul 2011 5:16 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Paulba

Postby gruntre69 on Tue, 11 May 2010 12:16 +0000

That's really good mate, been a long time since I did electronics theory at college. I'm not sure I could remember how to identify the base, emitter and collector of that transistor in the circuit.

Any chance of another drawing with those details..??

I was just about to order the wolstentec unit but I'd get way more satisfaction from building it myself from components.

5 Minutes..... I had 3 in mind and the wolstentec guy is happy to give a pot in his relay with that parameter.

Cheers for sharing...
Cheers

Grunter
My build thread
gruntre69

Postby Paulba on Tue, 11 May 2010 6:59 +0000

I've updated the diagram to show the base, collector and emitter leads.

The actual transistors pinouts will depend on the brand of transistor, jaycars link has the datasheets for 2 different suppliers. http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ZT2298&keywords=2n2222&form=KEYWORD

hope this helps

Paul
Paulba

Postby camwill69 on Tue, 11 May 2010 11:01 +0000

Or you could use this, like I have.

http://www.tac-tech.com.au/documents/203.html

I will try to do a wiring diagram for you in the coming days.

Regards,
Cam
camwill69

Postby Alby on Tue, 11 May 2010 11:28 +0000

I am interested in doing this mod if it does not require an electronics degree to install.
My version if any one is interested is to leave the door skin off and just have a set of jumperleads on hand to hot wire the switch when required.
I would prefer to use your method as it eliminates the possibility of tripping over on the jumper leads :lol:
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby gruntre69 on Tue, 11 May 2010 12:27 +0000

There is certainly a few options now isn't there......?

Camwill how much was the Tec tech relay?

It is a very versatile relay.... It has functions that I've been looking for to use for adding central locking to my hard lid.
Cheers

Grunter
My build thread
gruntre69

Postby camwill69 on Tue, 11 May 2010 3:51 +0000

Yeh mate,
It is a good unit, cost was in the early $30's I think, have not looked at the invoice. Another option that I have not persued yet is getting this relay with a fixed timer instead of an adjustable timer pre wired to suit made for this aplication. Cost would be around the $50 mark for a dedicated prewired unit (made in china) to fit straight in. But due to current comitments I have not followed it up.

The tech relay looks like the goods if someone could take it to the next step. Just need someone with the finishing touch's to take it to a saleable item at a cost that would suit us all. F*&^% all in other words.

Any takers?????????????????????????

Have offered it (design) to a few suppliers at no profit to me to take to the next step but nothing.

Cheers,
Cam

I have bigger fish to fry than this, but I am still passionate about it.
camwill69

Postby EASTCOAST on Wed, 07 Jul 2010 11:37 +0000

Pics tell every story,,, Can we get some pics of this mod with the time delay. I have no chance of reading the diagram,,,After all the advice i have got off all the guys am i asking to much.........................
******If you can ignore it its not a real problem******
EASTCOAST

Postby Steve9R on Wed, 07 Jul 2010 11:56 +0000

Paulba wrote:I've updated the diagram to show the base, collector and emitter leads.

The actual transistors pinouts will depend on the brand of transistor, jaycars link has the datasheets for 2 different suppliers. http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ZT2298&keywords=2n2222&form=KEYWORD

hope this helps

Paul

good stuff Paul.. Ill breadboard it tonight..
Ive got another one i want to do too that i might PM you ! ;)

Cheers
Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby Chancha_Blanca on Sun, 13 Feb 2011 6:53 +0000

Bump...

Mod to be done... sometime :)
Without Trucks, Australia Stops, Without Hilux, the World Stops!
Chancha_Blanca

Postby Swinny on Sat, 19 Feb 2011 11:06 +0000

you are a life saver thank you....
Swinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Swinny on Mon, 21 Feb 2011 10:04 +0000

toke the lux in for a 20000km service and they didint even notice it or report it to me so you wonder what they doo in serviceing
Swinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 9W6VX on Mon, 21 Feb 2011 11:33 +0000

Swinny,

You did a triple post on three different threads with the same sentence.

The other 2 posts will be removed.

Please do not double or triple post.
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby lais817 on Wed, 16 Mar 2011 1:06 +0000

Just pulled my bridging wire out so I could measure the length to make one of these up for my brother. When I put it back in and put the igniton on, no windows! replaced the relay but still the same thing, and then I noticed my ABS light was on on the dash. I've just gone away for 4 days so I didn't have time to check fuses and the like, but does anybody have any idea of what this could be? Got the mother-in-law to take it to Toyota while we're away as it's still under warranty and they shouldn't be able to detect that I've had the relay out, I hope :? Anybody else have this issue?
Insert witty comment here

Check out my Build: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=11921
lais817

Postby lais817 on Sat, 19 Mar 2011 11:52 +0000

Hey guys, just found out that I've blown the main fuse in my truck with this mod, so make sure you disconnect the battery etc if you'r installing/removing anything electrical, I know I will be from now on! :oops:
Insert witty comment here

Check out my Build: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=11921
lais817

Postby ozsurfer on Fri, 22 Jul 2011 6:34 +0000

Hi fellas,

I did a mod to my Lux today which is similar to what has been described here but slightly different. I've had a decent search and it may well be covered elsewhere, I apologise now if it has, but I'll put it out there anyway. Mods, please delete or move as required.

Basically I liked the idea of having constant power to the windows but not ALL the time. I also wasn't really keen on just having 30 seconds or so to use my windows after the ignition was shut off so stayed away from the delay timed relay setup. I also wanted to keep the original relay in circuit for the power windows.

So I firstly disconnected the ignition key buzzer switch to stop that god awful buzzer noise with the key left in the ignition. Then I thought I might use that switch to drive the power window relay instead so when I pull up in the car and turn the thing off without remembering to do up the windows (like I nearly always do) I can still operate the windows until I remove the keys. I like it as I can now use the windows with having the ignition on all the time, and I don't have power to the windows when I leave the vehicle.

It only took one wire run across from the ignition key buzzer switch to the power window relay driving the negative side of the relay. Then just cut the ignition feed to the relay and loop it back to the battery feed of the relay. Quite simple and and again I apologise if it's somewhere else on the site, i just didn't come across it in this thread.

If anyone is interested I have some photos if you want to do this mod, this particular way. I appreciate the single wire bridging out the relay is the simpler method but if your not keen on having power to your windows full time this may be another option.

Cheers,
Andrew
ozsurfer

Postby paulandjanine on Mon, 15 Aug 2011 10:03 +0000

ozsurfer, ozsurfer, Hey Andrew , what a great solution to a anoying problem. Thats exactly what i would like to do to my 2007 SR5 , the kids are always leaving the windows down and I only realise after ive turned the car off. Is it possible to see the pics as I really want to do this mod , thanks , Paul ..
paulandjanine

Postby rad2085 on Tue, 16 Aug 2011 12:51 +0000

Another thing that I have done with my electric windows is to install a turbo timer to turn the relay on and off, I purchase a cheap timer of ebay from mempry under $50. That way my windows will work for five minutes after I turn my key off.

The ignition feed and earth is at the relay base and all you need to do is use the switching circuit of the turbo timer to turn on and off pin 85 or 86 of the relay (smaller switching wires). Depending on the type of turbo timer you choose, wiring may change slightly.

Very eaisy mod took me under 15mins and cost about $50.

Just thought I would shar this with every body.
rad2085

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks