Hilux Brakes

Re: Hilux Brakes

Postby Diegothecat on Wed, 20 Apr 2011 1:40 +0000

well iv had some issues with my diff of late and after toyota fixed the issues of oil leaking they but my car on their brake test rig. What difference it has made!! the car pulles up so level now and there is no worried feeling when braking hard.

Not too sure what it is worth to put the car on one as it was done under warranty but it what ever the cost it would be worth it.

the rig is a track that the car runs over and when the wheels hit a certain section they brake and the computer sences how the car is pulling up or not and tells the mechanic what side to adjust. Love the brakes now.
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Postby ultimate on Wed, 20 Apr 2011 3:32 +0000

Good news mate.

It was probably the Safe-T-Stop system they used. It's a great set up for working out the brake balance on a vehicle. A lot of dealers use them with good results. The suspension testing isn't entirely accurate but the brake read out is very good.

http://www.safetstop.com.au/

There was a thread about it on the triton forum not so long ago. It came up after a discussion in their version of a "poor braking" thread :lol:

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopi ... op#p125393
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby Uncle on Fri, 06 May 2011 1:58 +0000

I recently adjusted my rear proportionate valve adjuster on the rear diff, but instead of welding in a new piece of bar, i bought a m8 coupla nut (x2), m8 grub screw (x1), joined them together (centre punching the middle of the grub screw thread to create a burr) and simply added them to the existing adjuster. I may in the future put a spot weld between the two nuts for added security. Took my ute for a test run on a dirt road and after some minor adjustments my brakes are spot on.
Uncle

Postby SR507 on Tue, 24 May 2011 10:26 +0000

hi guys,

I to am a tad mechanically challenged and am really grateful for the step by step guides you guys pass on.

One question though, Ive noticed that when im braking on a downhill slope and my tyre hits a crease in the road ( where old bitumen meets new) my brakes tend to sort of give way and then shudder back on! sounds terrible and feels much the same, could this have something to do with the rear brakes not being adjusted properly.

It seems to only happen when the front wheels hit the crease.
SR507

Hilux Brakes

Postby KTM525EXC on Wed, 25 May 2011 2:29 +0000

SR507 wrote:hi guys,

I to am a tad mechanically challenged and am really grateful for the step by step guides you guys pass on.

One question though, Ive noticed that when im braking on a downhill slope and my tyre hits a crease in the road ( where old bitumen meets new) my brakes tend to sort of give way and then shudder back on! sounds terrible and feels much the same, could this have something to do with the rear brakes not being adjusted properly.

It seems to only happen when the front wheels hit the crease.

I'm pretty sure that's the abs cutting in ;)
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby naylor-1 on Wed, 25 May 2011 6:38 +0000

hey fellas new to this site, just wondering if any one knows where i could buy the whole rear break assembally for an 07 lux? apparently mine are siezed!

Cheers Matt
naylor-1

Postby ultimate on Wed, 25 May 2011 6:42 +0000

After market Shoes can be purchased from most auto shops. Pretty much everything else is genuine. If the whole assembly is a write off, you are probably better off looking at a rear disc conversion. Probably cheaper than an assembly from Toyota.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby 9W6VX on Wed, 25 May 2011 7:38 +0000

X2 on what ktm said.

Looks like the ABS cutting in.

The irony is that the ABS in our utes groan like mad when they cut in whereas the up market ones work silently.

:lol:
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby Bradlze on Thu, 26 May 2011 8:37 +0000

ultimate wrote:After market Shoes can be purchased from most auto shops. Pretty much everything else is genuine. If the whole assembly is a write off, you are probably better off looking at a rear disc conversion. Probably cheaper than an assembly from Toyota.

yeah unless you have a funny diff then its a complete head f$@#&%! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Last edited by 9W6VX on Thu, 26 May 2011 9:37 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited by 9w6vx for word censoring.
Bradlze

Postby dick on Tue, 31 May 2011 6:12 +0000

9W6VX wrote:I adjusted my rear brakes at home just now.

Put it on the jack stands and the rear wheels were spinning freely.

I adjusted it 4 clicks each side and when I rotate the wheels there is a slight drag now with one hand spinning the wheel. The screwdriver should be levered down and there are 2 rubber plugs. The top rubber plug is the one to adjust the brakes.

Noticed that after adjusting the rear brakes, the hand brake now has about 5 clicks to the normal up position. It was initially at 7 clicks.

Further to this i did a search and found that there is another way to adjust the rear brakes. When reversing pump the brake pedal and the rear brakes should auto adjust themselves. Don't know if it works that way.

Thanks for the tip guys.

Need to see the optician to change to bifocal lens as found it difficult to see the small little hole. :roll: :roll:
Hey you guys down under that know a good vehicle when you drive one. I thought I would give this a try. I have 3 problems with my 06 3.0 D4D intercooled turbo, 83000 K. 1. The "almost empty" fuel tank warning light in the instrument panel is on at all times. It used to flicker sometimes when I would go around a sharp corner and then one day, months ago, it stayed on when I started the truck. What do I do? 2. When I started the truck 2days ago the ABS brake light wouldn't go out. Stays on at all times. This happened the 1st time I started it after I stupidly left the ignition switch on and ran the battery COMPLETELY dead and then had to charge it over nite. I know you all will laugh and think how stupid can this guy be but have to tell the whole story just in case it might be a factor as to why the light stays on all the time. Here goes, when I originally hooked the battery charger to the battery .. I was in a hurry and because the truck was parked outside my garage and it was raining and I have a very long jumper cable I hooked it up wrong on my spare battery in the garage. Reversed polarity. I heard some strange noises coming from the engine compartment and realized what I had done and jerked the cable after a time lapse of about 20 seconds. Anyway, I don't know if that has anything to do with the ABS lite on at all times or not. I wondered if my 4 wheel ABS was working now so I took it for a test drive in the mountains where I live in Panama. When I slammed on the brakes on a downhill road covered with pine needles it surely seemed to be working or I noticed pulsating as it came to a sudden stop. It's kind of difficult to tell for sure but I did it a few times and notice the tire tracks look like there is skipping as there should be. What do I do? 3. A few wks. ago I started noticing a squealing, screeching noise towards the front of the engine. It comes and goes and I'm unable to pinpoint exactly where it is coming from. It sounds like a dry or bad bearing on one of the many pulleys. It's not the water pump. The noise has changed its tone over time. I live in a very remote location in the mountains with no repair garage near by. I can't simply take it to someone and say fix it as it doesn't make the noise at all times. Is there anything that is common like this that I could tell someone or could fix myself. I'm good at auto repair. I have no manual for it. I don't want a breakdown on the back roads here as there is no such thing as a tow truck. I love this truck .. the best I've had coming off a farm in Iowa US and have owned many trucks in my life. Thank you anyone for any advise.
dick

Postby OFFTRAK on Tue, 31 May 2011 7:11 +0000

Have you checked your fuses? As an example, I blew the high beam fuse and the blue high beam dash light was constantly on, despite having the light switch turned off.
OFFTRAK

Postby mrtk on Tue, 31 May 2011 8:34 +0000

Regarding problem #3. I had this same noise that you had described. Intermittently for about a year. The toyota guys said not to worry about it so that's why I hadn't bothered to fix it. Until now.
So I have just recently gone through alternator issues. Replaced it with a new one ($600). While I was at it I replaced all idler pullie bearings. 3 idler pullies = 5 bearings. The top one and middle one both have a pair of cheap easy to get single row ball bearings (about $5 ea). But the one at the bottom (which cops most of the water/ mud / sand etc) was a double row ball bearing and a little harder to get (about$25). This was the one I really wanted to replace.
I also replaced my serpentine belt, which may have helped (about $80).
There may also be bearings in the AC unit but I didn't want to mess with that.

Over all I found this fairly easy to do, so I recommend you have a go at it. After all it is only basic maintenance.

My lux does not squeal any more at all since I have done this. Hope it helps.
TK
mrtk

Postby dick on Wed, 01 Jun 2011 12:15 +0000

Thanks so much to Luxative and mrtk for your responses. 1st I did check fuses as per your suggestion in all 3 locations. When I found a blown 15 amp fuse I thought SCORE. No deal as I did replace it with no change to the warning lites. No manual so don't even know what circuit it was. Also, mrtk it does sound like a replay of your problem with bearing noise. I'm in such an undeveloped area here that I guess I will wait for it to get worse in hopes of pin pointing which. Don't want to have to replace the alternator unless absolutely necessary as I'm retired on very limited $ funds. The other problem is how far away to a parts house for such things as the proper bearings. And then throw in the fact that we have just one vehicle, (while this one is torn apart).
dick

Postby will's hilux on Wed, 01 Jun 2011 4:16 +0000

ok, can anyone explain to me why the hilux has drum brakes fitted? why wouldnt they fit disc brakes?
someone mentioned that its got something to do with the leaf springs and load carrying, but i assumed that disc brakes are jsut superior
would the prado rear disc brakes fit? ive seen prados and they have all 4 wheel disc brakes.
will's hilux

Postby Drew on Wed, 01 Jun 2011 4:27 +0000

Our trucks are made in thailand and there is 2 taxes on vehicles coming out of there. One for leaf and drum rear and one for disc and coil rear.. guess which is cheaper lol
Im not stuck..... Im thinking
Drew

Postby stevehastings on Wed, 01 Jun 2011 4:37 +0000

Diegothecat wrote:well iv had some issues with my diff of late and after toyota fixed the issues of oil leaking they but my car on their brake test rig. What difference it has made!! the car pulles up so level now and there is no worried feeling when braking hard.

Not too sure what it is worth to put the car on one as it was done under warranty but it what ever the cost it would be worth it.

the rig is a track that the car runs over and when the wheels hit a certain section they brake and the computer sences how the car is pulling up or not and tells the mechanic what side to adjust. Love the brakes now.

Just thinking about the break tester, in NZ when you go for a WOF (every 6 months or 1 year if car is not older than 5 years) they do this test in the price of the WOF and if it dont pass you have to fix it within 30 days, even tests the hand break, very good.
Live for today, as tomorrow is not here yet.
stevehastings

Postby jeff80 on Thu, 07 Jul 2011 1:57 +0000

My right rear brake is aggressively locking the wheel just as the car comes to a stop.
I've cleaned it and adjusted it correctly but after a few days it starts doing it again but not all the time??
Has anybody else had this problem?
jeff80

Postby GUB881 on Tue, 12 Jul 2011 11:50 +0000

Jeff80, we have had a couple of problems with the rear brakes with the lux's on site. Did everything look ok when you pulled the drum off? Sometimes the keepers can come adrift or the wheel cylinders get full of crap on the thread so they fell like they are adjusting up but they are restricted. Pull the left side off and double check every thing looks the same. Also make sure that there is no oil leaks as oil on the shoe's can create a head ache. ;)
GUB881

Postby jeff80 on Sat, 16 Jul 2011 11:39 +0000

GUB881 wrote:Jeff80, we have had a couple of problems with the rear brakes with the lux's on site. Did everything look ok when you pulled the drum off? Sometimes the keepers can come adrift or the wheel cylinders get full of crap on the thread so they fell like they are adjusting up but they are restricted. Pull the left side off and double check every thing looks the same. Also make sure that there is no oil leaks as oil on the shoe's can create a head ache. ;)

Everything looks fine. i think it has something to do with the cold weather, i've heard of other cars doing it but only when it gets cold for some reason?
I'll put some new shoes in and see what happens.
jeff80

Postby slimhay on Sun, 22 Jul 2012 7:33 +0000

Hi brake exprets (:

So spent a few hrs actualy several hrs and replaced brake fluid and adjusted up rear brakes and load valve thingy. I pull drums off clean it all down with brake cleaner etc etc. The pads are good an very little worn away from drum. Should i expect to be able to lock up all 4 wheals if i really stand on the brakes because at this point im only just getting fronts to lock a little. Ive blead it several times but pedal feals slightly spungy... Any sugestions? Thanks
slimhay

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks