Interior and external car care product?

Interior and external car care product?

Postby buggerlux on Fri, 10 Jul 2009 10:09 +0000

What do you put on your dash to prevent it going dull?

What do you put on external plastics such as upper bumber etc?

I have heard Armour all can make it go brittle and crack?
buggerlux

Re: Interior and external car care product?

Postby SR5 2NV on Sat, 11 Jul 2009 6:23 +0000

Hi,

You cant go wrong with the meguiars range of products, i stick by them 110%. and no i dont work for them i just love their products.

You should use interior detailer for the dash and internal plastics, and then exterior trim detailer for the plastic outside.

Cheers Metin.
SR5 2NV

Postby tomed13 on Mon, 13 Jul 2009 2:44 +0000

meguiars rules can't go wrong with it
tomed13

Postby dute on Mon, 13 Jul 2009 5:54 +0000

Mothers or Meguiars . . . . ;)
FCCW

inside Dute's black hole

"Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill"
dute

Postby PaulC on Sat, 08 Aug 2009 1:56 +0000

one important point is not to use a sponge. use the micro cloths or noodles, way better on the duco dudes and dudets,
i always use wax as u dry from eagle one its so good, i dont no any one else who makes that product
If u didn't stop to read this, how far down the page would u be?
LUX15
PaulC

Postby Ox Man on Sun, 23 Aug 2009 7:34 +0000

Meguiars is mcfreakinawesome.
"These words carry so much weight they would break a less awesome mans jaw..."
Ox Man

Postby Marshwa on Sun, 23 Aug 2009 9:05 +0000

Ox Man wrote:Meguiars is mcfreakinawesome.

copy that, why settle with the knee's, its the the bee's balls. Amor all is works a charm too as long as u don't plan to repaint anything in the near future, if so keep it off your paint job
Marshwa

Postby Shaker on Wed, 14 Jul 2010 9:58 +0000

I'm going to bump this.

Armor all is supposed to deflect UV. You have to keep this topped up. The only way a dash can crack that i can think of is if it been neglected before or after you apply it. Armor all should be used to prevent drying and cracking. No point after the neglect is already there as moistening dry and cracked vinyl will accelerate old damage. You can't flog a dead horse type of thing. A little tip: never spray directly onto the dash around your vents etc as it will pool in all the grooves etc and attract dust. Spray it on a microfiber cloth first, then apply. You'll be able to use that moistened cloth everywhere.

I was at Supercrap Auto the other day looking at duco care products. I've used Carnauba wax products for years. Some older vehicles which looked like the paint was so far gone it needed a respray I have cut and polished and they have ended up with a glass finish. When their this bad, I used to use one buffing pad for cutting, clean it and put it aside, wash the car, then use a new real lambs wool pad to polish in the wax (all done in the shade). We decided that when buying new vehicles, using paint protection offered by Toyota and some others that claim to be miracle products such as Silica, all needed to be maintained by washing with the same product such as a Silica car wash. These companies claim wax attracts dirt and contaminants and traps it in the wax itself, but regular washing and re-application every four to six months of a good quality Carnauba wax and wash was not only more satisfying to use when you see the end result, but also cheaper in the long run. Other paint protection companies claim wax melts when it gets hot. The warmth and pressure of the buffer machine does a good job of applying it and I've not had any complaints with steering wheels on the road in a puddle of wax and no car around you. Good orbital buffing machines can cost around $600 and fit specialized pads suited for the finish your after, but this is for prestige or show cars really. A two speed Makita will set you back about $245 and with quality pads and a little care in using it will give you a nice finish too. I only need something to buff in the wax and keep using the wash as mentioned above. You can buy cheap buffing machines for $45 which don't have the power behind them, but if you take your time they will also do a good job as well. Another tip: remove any plastic protectors. You don't want to accidentally hit them and break them off.

I think paint protection is a rip off and many people get suck into the pitfalls of maintaining those expensive products. Even ARB recommend you seal the powder coat on their bull bars with Carnauba wax.

Meguiars is an excellent product. Turtle Wax made a Carnauba wax product called Excalibur. I have not bothered to see if it still exists, but I also recommend it as a cheaper alternative.

Wax ooonn, wax offf.

Shaker.
Shaker

Postby Shaker on Tue, 20 Jul 2010 10:14 +0000

I just bought some of the following Engineered Synthetic Polymers (ESP) products to try them out. Some good reports have come from these, but their hell expensive, but not as expensive as rip off paint protection as provided by the dealers and other companies:-

NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 Paste

Nxt Generation Car Wash

Once again, I only use pure lambs wool buffing pads, not the synthetic cheapies.
Shaker

Postby biglux on Tue, 20 Jul 2010 10:23 +0000

I've tried the nxt gen car wash and man is it good s*&t, follow up with the meguiars wet look and your rig looks new again.

GO THE MEGUIARS :D :D :D :D :D :D
biglux

Postby bill_i_am on Tue, 20 Jul 2010 1:48 +0000

The Mrs (who is a clean freak) has got me using Inox on the dash / interior. (no that is not spelling error. He whole family are a bit OCD when it comes to maintaining the appearance for a car and they have used inox on the interior for years. My old LN106 dash was looking a bit weathered until I gave it a couple of rounds of inox, came up a treat. Haven't used it on the new lux yet.
I might be slow, but I'm rough.......
bill_i_am

Postby ruste13 on Tue, 20 Jul 2010 2:11 +0000

is meguiars available from Supacrap?? i normally use armourall but am keen to give somthing different a go :)
ruste13

Postby MADDOG on Tue, 20 Jul 2010 2:24 +0000

ruste13 wrote:is meguiars available from Supacrap?? i normally use armourall but am keen to give somthing different a go :)

Yes
MADDOG

Postby hodgo81 on Tue, 20 Jul 2010 2:47 +0000

while on this topic. What on earth can you use to get the big white polish streaks out of theat dodgily finished plastic used on bumpers and snorkels etc?
hodgo81

Postby Shaker on Wed, 21 Jul 2010 12:15 +0000

Only thing you could use on those plastic molding streaks is coloured wax to try and hide it. Otherwise, sanding the plastic and priming it with plastic primer and painting it, but painting plastic never lasts long anyway.

Another good paint care product range is Autoglym, but not as available as Meguiars. Armorall car wash is rubbish. As for the Armorall heavy duty car wash, you may as well be washing with CT-18 as both can streak your paintwork and remove any protective layer you have applied. Don't use these.

Remember to always wash your car with a product that has the same ingredient properties as what you used in the base protection. This will maintain your protective layer longer and also keep it topped up. This applies to any paint protection system. In most cases, not using the same products as the initial paint protection will void the warranty on that paint protection if you paid to have it applied professionally.
Shaker

Postby dirtyharry on Wed, 21 Jul 2010 9:45 +0000

A car detailer once told me that Armoral is actually a flamable liquid and he would never recommend anyone use it purely for that reason. Food for thought.
I use Meguiars also.
dirtyharry

Postby hilux_bondy_007 on Wed, 21 Jul 2010 1:12 +0000

I have been using Meguiars ever since i got my hilux. it had a few scratches on it and being black stands out. but washing it once a week and giving it a good wax its looking like new again. i would never use anything else.
hilux_bondy_007

Postby Ox Man on Wed, 21 Jul 2010 6:21 +0000

On the work lux I use CT-20 wash n wax, gets the white lookin good again, i save the good meguires stuff for the Black Knight.....

Ofcourse we all agree Meguires are the goods, dos anyone have anything bad to say about CT-20?
"These words carry so much weight they would break a less awesome mans jaw..."
Ox Man

Postby Shaker on Wed, 21 Jul 2010 7:42 +0000

dirtyharry wrote:A car detailer once told me that Armoral is actually a flamable liquid and he would never recommend anyone use it purely for that reason. Food for thought.
I use Meguiars also.

In what state is it flammable? I just spayed some on the bench just then and tried to light it... no flame on. It must be only when material is actually on fire that it helps it burn like any wax would, but by that stage, goodbye Hilux. Nowhere on the bottle does it state it is flammable either. Could it be this detailer was trying to sell you another product?

Shaker.
Shaker

Postby Shaker on Wed, 21 Jul 2010 7:59 +0000

Ox Man wrote:Does anyone have anything bad to say about CT-20?

Ox Man, with all the above considered as well as the need to dilute and CT-xx product right down, it maybe good for 2 day wax protection and I would only wash a sooty truck, muddy motorcycle or caravan with it due to it being more affordable to use on large areas and on more frequent occasions. How much do you value your duco? Are you prepared to risk using these products knowing they will strip off any paint protection you have previously applied? CT-20 would only apply a very thin inconsistent layer of protection and they are all high PH detergents, damaging to your paintwork etc imo.

I'd be wary. It's always you get what you pay for, get what you pay for, get what you pay for. Run your fingernails over the duco gently. If it feels unlike pure clean smooth glass, deterioration may have already commenced.

Cheers,

Shaker.
Shaker

Next

Return to Tips & Tricks