key in ignition beeper removal

Re: key in ignition beeper removal

Postby jeremycarney on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 1:35 +0000

But where is that bloody beeper I've had my head to the dash for like half an hour and I swear it moves everytime I look.
Have unplugged from ignition and it stopped but would really like to destroy the f'n beeper to make me feel better.
Thanks for the info so far :P
jeremycarney

Postby SRLUXX on Sun, 06 Jan 2013 12:17 +0000

I can not seem to get off the bit of plastic under the steering column? It's like it's all one piece that wraps up around the top of the steering wheel haha, 2012 hilux single cab SR, any ideas
SRLUXX

Postby SRLUXX on Sun, 06 Jan 2013 12:27 +0000

Don't worry, rookie error haha I hade a moment ;)
SRLUXX

Postby kookycarlo on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 10:59 +0000

What i did is disconnected the plug which turns on interior light when door is opend you can pull it out just enough to unplug it then screw it back in place. Now can leave door open no light or key in ignition beeping OH dont leave head lights on because they wont beep either
kookycarlo
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Magiver70 on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 12:18 +0000

I have unplugged mine as per forum instructions, went to local yota dealer last week to help trouble shoot chip problem, that's a whole other story, and while they said it is a legal requirement to leave it in place as it is classed as a safety feature, the only real issue it causes by having it unplugged at the ignition key is you can't code a new key to the car if needed.
Magiver70

Postby greyhound on Sat, 23 Feb 2013 9:04 +0000

Have just done this. Only thing I noticed was the security light used to stop blinking when the key was in. Now it doesn't stop till the key is in the on position.
This is on a 2012 SR.
greyhound

Postby sjn25281 on Thu, 02 May 2013 8:57 +0000

Hi all. I have a few thoughts on these two separate mods:

Seatbelt alarm mod via the odo press method:
This is simple, and is a factory accessible option so you will not have any issues with other systems failing. If the mod is not working then you are not reading the whole thread and following the instructions correctly.

Key-left-in alarm mod by removing the buzzer itself:
Yeah this works, but you also lose the water in fuel alarm (allegedly) and the headlights on alarm (if you have it, my 05 apparently doesn't). Plus there may be other audible alarms on that buzzer that we might want to hear.

Key-left-in alarm mod via unplugging at the ignition:
Yeah this works, but the engine management system, and security system rely on the detection of the key for various functions (eg. program new keys, diagnostics, flash upload new engine firmware/settings). I doubt it had anything to do with he airbags, but just in case, I have a better idea...

Why not put an in-line switch on one of the two wires from that plug??? That way you can quickly restore all factory functionality with a flick of a switch. If you intend to use it regularly, put it on the dash with all the other switches, or if its only going to be occasional, have it behind the dash where you can reach it on the odd occasion that it bothers you, but where you, the RTA and Toyota dealers can't see it.
sjn25281

Postby Qwerty on Thu, 02 May 2013 9:04 +0000

sjn25281 wrote:Hi all. I have a few thoughts on these two separate mods:

Key-left-in alarm mod via unplugging at the ignition:
Yeah this works, but the engine management system, and security system rely on the detection of the key for various functions (eg. program new keys, diagnostics, flash upload new engine firmware/settings). I doubt it had anything to do with he airbags, but just in case, I have a better idea...

Why not put an in-line switch on one of the two wires from that plug??? That way you can quickly restore all factory functionality with a flick of a switch. If you intend to use it regularly, put it on the dash with all the other switches, or if its only going to be occasional, have it behind the dash where you can reach it on the odd occasion that it bothers you, but where you, the RTA and Toyota dealers can't see it.

Hmm to my mind an inline switch would be far more work than just remembering to plug the plug back in on the rare rare occasion of getting a key recoded or firmware updated. (My lux out of warranty and goes nowhere near a Toyota dealer !).
Qwerty

Postby ng_newbie on Thu, 02 May 2013 9:13 +0000

I'm very happy that a down stream effect of unplugging at the ignition is that a new key cant be programmed, then their is no chance of anyone making up a key or firmware upgrades ... without me knowing about it !!!

NG
In the market for

- Lokkas & someone to help me install it :)
- 24v Rattle gun - https://dewalt.com.au/products/dcf899hn ... -bare-unit
- 24v Freezer
- 24v Air Conditioner
- 24v Battery Pack - ozBATs.com
ng_newbie

Postby woodhead on Fri, 23 Aug 2013 9:59 +0000

This post is the gift that keeps on giving. There is one fix that no one seems to have mentioned yet. I cut the original wire away from the drivers door switch and then spliced a new wire from the drivers door switch into the rear door switch circuit (leaving rear door circuit intact). Noise gone. The only draw back is the headlight reminder won't work, but all other alarms will, no problems with locking keys in, interior light still works and no other concerns / problems associated with pulling the plug from the ignition or tampering with the buzzer itself.
woodhead

Postby beno1 on Mon, 23 Sep 2013 11:43 +0000

Excellent advice woodhead, I think thats the way I'm going to go! Thanks..
beno1

Postby aandy on Sat, 16 Nov 2013 7:22 +0000

woodhead wrote:This post is the gift that keeps on giving. There is one fix that no one seems to have mentioned yet. I cut the original wire away from the drivers door switch and then spliced a new wire from the drivers door switch into the rear door switch circuit (leaving rear door circuit intact). Noise gone. The only draw back is the headlight reminder won't work, but all other alarms will, no problems with locking keys in, interior light still works and no other concerns / problems associated with pulling the plug from the ignition or tampering with the buzzer itself.

Did this today, best solution yet I think. The hilux just thinks I am getting in and out the back door :lol:
The security light is as per normal, interior light as per normal, the auto relocking(or not) as per normal.
As mentioned no headlight on warning, next mod is auto headlight off.
aandy

Postby 10 luxxxx on Sat, 16 Nov 2013 7:57 +0000

I must be missing something does this beep really give you all the shi:s that much? put your seat belt on don't leave the door open job done. Don't get me wrong I've got the seat belt beep turned off but the key in ignition one I just don't understand why
10 luxxxx

Postby aandy on Sat, 16 Nov 2013 8:21 +0000

10 luxxxx wrote:I must be missing something does this beep really give you all the shi:s that much? put your seat belt on don't leave the door open job done. Don't get me wrong I've got the seat belt beep turned off but the key in ignition one I just don't understand why

Depends what you do with your car and if it annoys you I suppose, for me it drove me nuts! I wouldnt bother getting rid of it if it didn't.

I drove a relatives car the other day and between the seat belt beeper, the fwd parking sensors, the rear parking sensors, the navigation talking to me I was going out of my brain, there was still some alarm beeping when I slammed the door and locked it, felt like kicking in the door and throwing the keys at the bloody thing and I only moved it out the driveway!
aandy

Postby strangenuts on Sat, 16 Nov 2013 2:56 +0000

10 luxxxx wrote:I must be missing something does this beep really give you all the shi:s that much? put your seat belt on don't leave the door open job done. Don't get me wrong I've got the seat belt beep turned off but the key in ignition one I just don't understand why

Kinda hypocritical argument when you tell people to just put your seatbelt on when you yourself have also removed the beeper. As for the door open one, it's super annoying for me. 1. want to open your door to work on your car and listen to the radio or stereo whilst doing so. 2. When camping, parked at the beach, parked anywhere want to leave your door open to hear the stereo. 3. When hunting you stop your car to get out and walk on some animals you've spotted from the vehicle and the stupid thing beeps. 4. I just don't want to be beeped at for that type of shit. Up there with my best mod.
strangenuts

Postby 10 luxxxx on Sat, 16 Nov 2013 4:30 +0000

Yeh a little hipocritical I know but what I'm getting at is it worth a small anoying beep when the outcome could affect other safety features or legal requirements.
Where as the seat belt beep is just a changes setting not as drastic as cutting wires
10 luxxxx

Postby mark409 on Sat, 16 Nov 2013 5:35 +0000

That is bliss .
I,m glad I just read this
I,ll be doing that after working on the mines ,I think I use to have about 6 beepers in my work Hilux, for different alarms , Whens its 45% in the shade you jump back in the wagon all you can hear is #$%# beepers. I never knew which 1 was going off.I think its called Audible pollution
By the end I was.
Mark 409
mark409
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ashh on Sat, 16 Nov 2013 7:59 +0000

Just don't leave yer keys in then ignition after unplugging the beeper.
The ignition won't detect a key and when the keys are in the ignition and turned to off,
with all the doors closed, after a short while the car automatically locks itself, this doesn't happen when the beeper is connected.
ashh

Postby mark409 on Sat, 16 Nov 2013 8:40 +0000

aandy wrote:
woodhead wrote:This post is the gift that keeps on giving. There is one fix that no one seems to have mentioned yet. I cut the original wire away from the drivers door switch and then spliced a new wire from the drivers door switch into the rear door switch circuit (leaving rear door circuit intact). Noise gone. The only draw back is the headlight reminder won't work, but all other alarms will, no problems with locking keys in, interior light still works and no other concerns / problems associated with pulling the plug from the ignition or tampering with the buzzer itself.

Did this today, best solution yet I think. The hilux just thinks I am getting in and out the back door :lol:
The security light is as per normal, interior light as per normal, the auto relocking(or not) as per normal.

Woodhead I like this fix best ,next question wher do you find these wires .Are they the same on a 2013 model.
mark409
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aandy on Sun, 17 Nov 2013 3:51 +0000

mark409 wrote:
aandy wrote:

Woodhead I like this fix best ,next question wher do you find these wires .Are they the same on a 2013 model.

You need to pull off the plastic trim behind drivers seat belt and the (scuff plate trim?) drivers side rear. There is only one wire you will see from each switch. Cut the driver door wire behind the seat belt trim and join a wire from there back to the rear door wire under the rear door scuff plate.

Mine is a facelifted 2011 so I reckon yours will be the same.

you lose the headlight warning. also, I never used them but if you have your headlights in auto do they turn off by themselves when you open the door? I tried them last night and they do not in my car.
aandy

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks