- 12v / 240v Fridge -> http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221680219455

Roll on rolux
sa_lux

Re: Central locking for tailgate - Mod

Postby Blackdelux on Mon, 14 Sep 2015 4:34 +0000

Hi all
found this when having a browse on ebay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-SUS-TEC- ... 2c9fb6760e

i want to do my canopy look just for convenience , might work for canopy and tailgate?
Blackdelux

Postby jarrad_711 on Thu, 24 Sep 2015 8:33 +0000

Blackdelux that one looks great. My DIY job is still going great though.
Well, I've got to get back to work. When I stop rowing, the slave ship just goes in circles.
jarrad_711

Postby taresk on Sat, 05 Nov 2016 3:12 +0000

I know this is a really old thread, but I came across a recently released much simplified option for locking of tailgates (only SR5's though). The manufacturer seems more focused on avoiding tailgate theft than forced entry to the tub below a hard lid or canopy, but it amounts to the same thing.

http://www.utilityproducts.com/articles ... -vigo.html
taresk

Postby Ranal on Wed, 06 Dec 2017 11:20 +0000

I purchased that SUS TEC actuator on the previous page off ebay and had it shipped to NZ. Doesn't come with instructions but works well. Modified the little piece that locks the handle otherwise 2 seconds with a screw driver and you could open it. Cut off and welded a new piece on. Works a treat. Tried back powering it and it doesn't unlock the truck. If you unlock the truck and only open the tray the truck relocks but can still close the tail gate. Worth the price.
Ranal

Re: Remote hard Lid , Locking

Postby Steve9R on Mon, 25 Dec 2017 11:28 +0000

here's the link..

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2717
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby DeadlyBeast on Wed, 27 Dec 2017 7:27 +0000

Thanks SteveR
Threads merged
DeadlyBeast

Postby BCH on Thu, 28 Dec 2017 10:03 +0000

No, but I am looking around

sa_lux wrote:G'Day BCH

Have you installed one of these

Anyone else got a better idea of how to 'lock' the tailgate, I dont need the
central locking ???
BCH

Postby Macca96 on Sat, 24 Mar 2018 12:31 +0000

Anyone know what colour wires are for the central locking on the passenger side?
Macca96

Postby TheNorwegian on Sun, 24 Jun 2018 3:59 +0000

I just installed the Eagle 4x4 tailgate central lock kit on my 2012 Hilux, and I found the correct wires inside the wire loom under the kicker panel on the right hand side.
Should be two wires the same gauge/thickness, one solid blue and one blue with yellow streaks.
TheNorwegian

Postby DeadlyBeast on Sun, 24 Jun 2018 10:38 +0000

Nice first post Norwegian. Very helpful
Do you think those wires will be on the opposite side for a right hand drive hilux models?
Cheers
DeadlyBeast

Postby TheNorwegian on Mon, 25 Jun 2018 8:56 +0000

Sorry for not introducing my self in more proper way before, but I had literally connected the kit to my car as I wrote the post. Having scratched my head for a bit of time, trawling the internet for hints to where the exact wire loom was, I figured I would let you guys know, since it's somewhat related to the topic :-)

As far as location on a RHD car, my best guess would probably be that it would be in the same location. The instructions I recieved with my kit was in English, and said that the wire loom was on the drivers side.

I felt a bit dumb after opening the scuff panels and searching for it on my LHD car, then realizing it was probably your driver side the instructions ment :-p

Probably cheaper for Toyota to use one standard wiring loom between models also.

Can post picture of the wiring and the correct wires if you like?
TheNorwegian

Postby DeadlyBeast on Mon, 25 Jun 2018 1:50 +0000

No worries mate.
If you get the chance to post a pic that would be great 8-)
DeadlyBeast

Postby TheNorwegian on Mon, 25 Jun 2018 8:51 +0000

https://imgur.com/a/hOdvNlY
Here you can see the two wires I tapped into with scotch connectors. I made sure to strip them first, to guarantee a somewhat decent connection. Will solder next time I have it open.

I had to remove a bit of the tape wrapping around the wiring loom, so that I could identify the different wires. Be aware, there are IIRC two-three other blue wires there also, but I found the one matching the same gauge as the Blue/Yellow, and it was the correct one.

On the right hand side, wire loom goes from kicker panel and 90 degrees under the seat.

Hope it can be of any help :)
TheNorwegian

Postby berniecam on Tue, 26 Jun 2018 7:07 +0000

DeadlyBeast wrote:Nice first post Norwegian. Very helpful
Do you think those wires will be on the opposite side for a right hand drive hilux models?
Cheers

Hi just a couple of cents worth when I had my 2012 lux I opened that skuff panel near drivers seat a number of times just going on memory in a RH drive vehicle that loom was also on RH side, just one point I have never liked cutting into a perfectly good loom if there was a better way & on this one there was, remove the drivers kick panel under steering wheel there was a multi connector panel where most wires exit follow the wire you want into there is no loom covering to remove, just where it goes into its connector but enough space to remove the insulation & SOLDER it in just hate those crimp connectors sometimes called scotchlocks they can be a real source of a HR joint.
Just on a side note I connected up a tailgate lock (HSP brand) into my present 2016 SR5 2.8D4D on this model the wires are now on the LH side skuff panel & definitely no need to cut into the loom mid span like the instructions say to, follow the wires through remove the LH kick panel under the glove box they are easily found where they go into a connector remove a little insulation SOLDER on the wires from the HSP unit & you are in business.
May be only draw back with HSP unit it is a bit pricey for what it is but real good quality bought on E bay at the time also think it was Aussie made CHEERS :)
berniecam

Postby brigina on Sun, 08 Aug 2021 8:18 +0000

Hi all, sorry too dredge up the thread, but the question was asked here but not fully answered. I have used the following https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/323374473773 mechanism in the rear tailgate for my SR5 luxy.

To answer the few questions that came up in the thread -

I routed the cable using the same route that the tailgate brake light uses, to get from the tailgate into the underside of the rear of the tub. Then along the upper and inside of the LHS chassis rail. Cable tying to existing routes as i went. A second pair of hands or a coat hanger are your friend here to fish the cables through.

From there i used the floor grommet that is located just under the passenger side front seat, came from there across to the front passenger side kick panel and patched straight into the cables connecting into the black J13 connector. Saved the need to break into or get over to the drivers side, the route for which i just could not figure out.

For clarity, the solid red cable is powered to lock the car, either with the key or the button on the drivers side, and the red-yellow is powered for the unlock operation.

Relatively seamless once installed, and it essentially prevents the handle from moving at all once installed and in the locked position. Gives an extra level of protection for what ever you may have in the rear.
brigina

Previous

Return to Tips & Tricks