SR dash dimmer for under $5 – THE ONLY WAY

Re: SR dash dimmer for under $5 – THE ONLY WAY

Postby brisue2 on Fri, 24 Oct 2014 11:49 +0000

Hi Malted & fark. G'day Guys - I'm like My Lux 6% - I've got a 2010 HiLux SR and I want to brighten my dash light's up !! This mod don't do that. It only seems to dim them more. Can "Malted" tell us how he swaped over an SR5 Cluster ?? Pictures would be good !! Do I need special expertise ??
brisue2

Postby Malted on Sat, 10 Jan 2015 10:26 +0000

brisue2 wrote: Can "Malted" tell us how he swaped over an SR5 Cluster ?? Pictures would be good !! Do I need special expertise ??

Nah not me, it was "redirtlux", I too wanted to know more about how he did it.
If it aint half off, it aint on sale!
Malted

Postby Shunt on Mon, 26 Jan 2015 7:00 +0000

Hi
I have just installed some redarc (autron) gauges to my 2013 sr5 and also the lighting controller but am at a loss to which wires to join the 2 yellow ones from the controller to. It says put them parallel across a dash light that runs off the dimmer.
Does this green wire power the dash lights directly? My thinking is could I run one to this green wire and one to earth?
Cheers
Sam
Cheers
Sam
Shunt

Postby kerode on Tue, 31 Mar 2015 4:34 +0000

did this today with a factory dimmer switch that came from a late model rav4, very easy mod, took me about 15-20 mins and it cost me just under 11 bucks! Instead of soldering or crimps etc I highly recommend using a product I only learnt about today.. a 'solder splice', for anyone else not aware of them, they are an absolutely brilliant product, that makes life a hell of a lot easier when it comes to getting a really good solder join!

here's a demo

http://youtu.be/24FjjIVpk9U
kerode

Postby StevenS on Tue, 31 Mar 2015 4:44 +0000

kerode wrote:did this today with a factory dimmer switch that came from a late model rav4, very easy mod, took me about 15-20 mins and it cost me just under 11 bucks! Instead of soldering or crimps etc I highly recommend using a product I only learnt about today.. a 'solder splice', for anyone else not aware of them, they are an absolutely brilliant product, that makes life a hell of a lot easier when it comes to getting a really good solder join!

here's a demo

Where have these been my whole life?!!!
StevenS

Postby fracturedranga on Tue, 31 Mar 2015 4:51 +0000

StevenS wrote:
kerode wrote:did this today with a factory dimmer switch that came from a late model rav4, very easy mod, took me about 15-20 mins and it cost me just under 11 bucks! Instead of soldering or crimps etc I highly recommend using a product I only learnt about today.. a 'solder splice', for anyone else not aware of them, they are an absolutely brilliant product, that makes life a hell of a lot easier when it comes to getting a really good solder join!

here's a demo

Where have these been my whole life?!!!

haha im the same, found them at jaycar a few weeks ago, theyre real handy in tight spots where getting an iron in is hard or if you dont have enough cable length to get heatshrink on without shrinking as you solder
fracturedranga

Postby kerode on Tue, 31 Mar 2015 7:37 +0000

yeah I agree, was working in a relatively tight space and used a lighter to heat it no probs, these are a game changer for me!
kerode

Postby tingkuon on Fri, 11 Jun 2021 7:35 +0000

Dear fark,

Could you repost the photos please? I am going to do this on my new brought SR5 dash.

Thanks

tingkuon

fark wrote:SR dash dimmer for under $5 – THE ONLY WAY

Tools required

1 Phillips head screwdriver
2 Side cutters
3 Soldering iron
4 Electrical tape
5 10mm drill bit

Parts required
1 Single turn 1K 0.5W pot (Jaycar RP3504)
2 Knob to suit above (Jaycar HK7717)
3 500mm twin core cable or similar

Procedure using above parts
1 Remove instrument cluster (AKA dash) (if you can’t work this part out, then don’t proceed!)
2 Locate the only Green (GN) wire and cut it down stream of the connector.

3 Solder the twin core wire and tape up the connections and run the wire down to where you want the potentiometer (pot) to be.

4 If you are using the same pot as me, you need to cut the shaft down to approx 15mm in length before proceeding.

5 Solder the ends of the wire to the pot in the exact same position as I have. It doesn’t matter what color or wire is soldered, just the terminals used on the pot. This will provide the lights to dim with clockwise rotation.

6 Bore out the hole in the fascia to 10mm where the pot will fit.
7 Put pot in the fascia and take note of the locating tab on the pot, it fits straight into a factory locating hole.

8 Push the knob onto the shaft and put everything back together.

9 Go and show the missus how clever you are.

Procedure using the factory Toyota dimmer switch
1 Follow the above steps 1 – 3.
2 Locate the white 2 pin factory connector and cut it off the loom allowing some length in the wires.
3 Solder the above onto the wires you have run down from the dash.
4 Discard the link plug and then plug the connector into the dimmer switch that you have already mounted in the fascia.
5 Go and rub one out.

This is the only way to do the job as the SR dash doesn’t support the factory wiring that the SR5 uses.
tingkuon

Postby Grunt Lux on Sun, 10 Oct 2021 2:21 +0000

Can anyone confirm what terminals of the pot he used?
I’ll buy one this week and suss it out myself otherwise.
Grunt Lux

Previous

Return to Tips & Tricks