Styleside Courtesy Light

Styleside Courtesy Light

Postby benh0 on Sat, 13 Jun 2015 12:48 +0000

I've been carting a bit of gear in the back of my SR5 lately and winter is not being kind to me, it's dark early. I wanted to make some way of putting a light in the tub that I didn't have to worry about turning a switch on or having a key in the ignition, it was always there when I needed it.. There are hundreds of ways you could do it, obviously, but this is what I deemed to be the best way.

You will need:
-fuse holder and fuse, I used an inline Narva 54412 and 15A mini fuse
-a courtesy light switch, I used a Narva 60041. it earths through the body of the car and has a long arm which allows it to be cut to length, very versatile.
-some black and some red wire
-some crimp terminals
-a soldering iron, solder and heatshrink
-conduit
-cable ties
-lights, i used 5m of waterproof LED strip lighting

NOTE: I'm using low power LED strip lighting and powering off the battery. These lights should draw around 5A, so I'm not using a relay. If you wish to run something that draws ~10A or higher I would recommending using a relay.

1. The courtesy lamp switch will be fitted behind the tailgate and requires drilling of a 9.5mm hole to fit, and 1 screw to secure. To gain access to this part of the tub, I removed my rear step, towbar tongue, and disconnected the tailgate stays to allow the tailgate to move far enough out of the way that I could drill straight in. Be careful to put a towel or a rag between the towbar and the tailgate and lower it gently to avoid any scratches or dents.

2. With the tailgate out of the way, mark the position of your switch and drill a 9.5mm hole. I chose to fit my switch on the left hand side of the tailgate because the battery is the same side, meaning I can run my cables straight down the right hand chassis rail and not have to jump across the car. When you're happy with the position of the switch, secure it with a self tapper. You may need to cut the arm to length to allow the tailgate to close fully.

3. Find an access point to the tub for your wiring. I chose to remove the LH taillight and feed my wires down through there. Crimp an insulated female spade terminal to the negative wire and connect it to your switch.

4. Feed your positive wire through the same access point as you fed the negative wire. Once it is under the car, insulate with conduit and continue feeding it to the front of the car, being sure to secure it along the way.

5. Now, at the front of the car. Crimp a ring terminal to one end of your fuse holder (don't connect it to the battery yet!) and solder the other to your positive wire that you've just fed.

6. Back in the tub, mount your light or lights and ensure you have enough cable to reach them before terminating. I chose to use LED strip lighting all the way around the inside lip of the tub. It starts in the LHR corner and terminates in the RHR corner.

7. Solder the negative wire from the switch and the positive wire fused from the battery to the negative and positive on your lights and heatshrink the joins.

8. Connect the ring terminal on your fuse holder to your battery and insert a fuse into the fuse holder.

9. Enjoy tub lights!
benh0

Re: Styleside Courtesy Light

Postby bob14hilux on Sat, 13 Jun 2015 2:44 +0000

Looks like a handy job. Put up a pick with the lights on at night.
Bob

Build thread viewtopic.php?f=41&t=23413

If beer and women are not the answer then you are asking the wrong question
bob14hilux

Postby benh0 on Tue, 07 Jul 2015 10:41 +0000

Finally got around to snapping one!
benh0

Postby TRDLuxxy on Tue, 07 Jul 2015 11:42 +0000

Mint
TRDLuxxy

Postby rds_929 on Mon, 20 Jul 2015 5:53 +0000

this looks awsome well done man where does the wire attach to the led strip ??
rds_929

Return to Tips & Tricks