running unlimited boost

running unlimited boost

Postby Richie21 on Mon, 16 Feb 2015 4:25 +0000

Had a 09 hilux in last week.had a few issues
Fuel light on and flashing
abs light on
over boosting causing it to go into limp mode
exhaust leak at egr port in head (ended up acting like a wastgate and keeping the boost under 14psi and not cuting out)

Now I fixed all the problems and run tests to find that the turbo ecu was making it free boost (actually made it really quick)
Replaced the turbo ecu and all is fine

Now my toughts are with the faulty boost ecu.why did it behave in this manor and am I able to find the short or burnt out diod and run a resistor to make adjustable boost?
This is justme brain storming

I also blocked of egr as there was no fixing the factory cooler part as it was completely broken of (engine light has come up but still drives fine)

Was actually thinking of puting faulty turbo ecu back in and running a small wastgate on the egr port in the head on plen side and plumbing it back into the egr port.making it have adjustable boost??
Hope this makes sence.

Any thoughts
Richie21

Re: running unlimited boost

Postby Richie21 on Mon, 16 Feb 2015 4:41 +0000

Damn I think this was ment to go in technical
Richie21

Postby StevenS on Mon, 16 Feb 2015 5:18 +0000

The turbo ecu, to my knowledge, controls the variable vanes on the turbocharger to control boost levels. If this had failed with the vanes set to max then essentially the turbo would do just that, run as high as it could.

This wouldn't be any good for the turbo in the long run, and too high boost tends to set off limp mode to protect both the engine and the turbo.

There are already aftermarket boost controllers out there, and from what I've heard is that you can only get a few extra psi out of the turbo safely and without additional fueling the gains aren't that great.
StevenS

Postby 08highlux on Wed, 10 Feb 2016 10:20 +0000

I am also having this over boosting problem. have had this problem for over 12 months and cant seem to fix it. where do you get the replacement ecu from? have already replaced the stepper motor with no luck. also have blocked egr and after market exhaust
08highlux

Postby Luxxy2005 on Fri, 22 Jul 2016 3:02 +0000

Same here. Getting a the loud whistle/whine from the turbo under load. Fitted a boost gauge and when it goes into limp mode it spikes at 20 psi and then engine light on. Running a 3" exhaust and dump pipe, no chips or any other mods
Luxxy2005

Return to Tips & Tricks