D-4D thermostat position

D-4D thermostat position

Postby FishyPete on Mon, 08 Dec 2014 8:56 +0000

Hi all, I've decided to put this post up dealing directly with the thermostat in the D-4d as there isn't a specific post on the issue and I had to fly blind to do mine. The thermostat is situated behind the turbo on the drivers side and a bit difficult to get to but not impossible. If you follow the bottom radiator hose up . it's inside the alloy housing where it bolts onto the block. To get to it drain the cooling system at bottom of radiator and remove bottom hose. Remove the complete air box and inlet hose to the turbo. Block the turbo intake with a clean rag. I could only get the top stud with a 10mm ratchet ring/open end spanner, but with a bit of frigging got a 10mm socket and 150mm extension to remove the other 2, ones the bottom stud and the other is down further where the bottom hose attaches. I couldn't get mine out (alloy outlet) because of wiring and stuff in the way, but there was enough room to get it away from the block and swap the thermostat over. There isn't a gasket to replace, but has a rubber seal embedded into the casting, like on a oil filter, and it sealed straight back up. Hope this helps. Degree of difficulty I'd rate 6 / 10 only because I haven't got little Japanese hands and have over 40 eyesight.
FishyPete

Re: D-4D thermostat position

Postby dino12 on Mon, 08 Dec 2014 1:12 +0000

thanks for that mate, i had no idea, where it was. didn't expect stupidity like that from toyota, but them i never thought the water pump would be such a problem either. there is a big difference between the d4d in the prado and the version in the hilux. a huge difference in fact. thanks again. the rubber seal makes it easier than it would have been if a gasket was required though, especially if having to change it out on the road side.
cheers.
dino12

Re: D-4D thermostat position

Postby balkanac on Mon, 29 Jun 2015 3:02 +0000

Thanks for the post, this was exactly what i needed. Logic would say the thermostat would be housed before the top rad hose, but not in this case.

Where would you recommend purchasing the thermostat from? My Hilux takes 15-20 min to warm up properly, so the thermostat is what i wanna start with. I wanna flush the coolant too. Should i go to Toyota for coolant/thermostat or will repco/auto1 be ok?
balkanac

Return to Tips & Tricks