How do I stop the rattles in the cab?

Re: How do I stop the rattles in the cab?

Postby Kingylux on Wed, 22 Oct 2014 3:44 +0000

before and after the back seat mod i had a really bad rattle .. i thought the back seat mod would of fixed this ... so today i wrapped electrical tape around the D MOUNTS that are welded to the back of the cab and OMG its gone like driving a new rig ... very happy with it... something so simple ....
Kingylux

Postby Talktheroo on Thu, 06 Nov 2014 4:58 +0000

Kingylux wrote:before and after the back seat mod i had a really bad rattle .. i thought the back seat mod would of fixed this ... so today i wrapped electrical tape around the D MOUNTS that are welded to the back of the cab and OMG its gone like driving a new rig ... very happy with it... something so simple ....

Good on you, mate.
You have found one of the holy grails.
A chip packet and a match works well. :D
Apparently.
The Roo.
Passing through country and seeing country are two different things.
Talktheroo

Postby AdAm3962 on Thu, 06 Nov 2014 5:00 +0000

Talktheroo wrote:
Kingylux wrote:before and after the back seat mod i had a really bad rattle .. i thought the back seat mod would of fixed this ... so today i wrapped electrical tape around the D MOUNTS that are welded to the back of the cab and OMG its gone like driving a new rig ... very happy with it... something so simple ....

Good on you, mate.
You have found one of the holy grails.
A chip packet and a match works well. :D
Apparently.
The Roo.

I put some thin rubber hose over it and zip tied it. Works a treat!
AdAm3962

Postby rory18 on Thu, 06 Nov 2014 7:28 +0000

Can try adjusting the 'D' bracket up so it sits hard up against the hooks on the back seat. That eliminated my noises
rory18
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gorganl2000 on Wed, 19 Sep 2018 12:46 +0000

well, i'm a relatively new hilux owner and i 100% dislike rattles...i don't subscribe to the theory that its a utility vehicle and it should rattle  , ... so i try to fix them as best i can and i've done the same with my past 4x4 vehicles...since owning it for the last 6 weeks, i've sorted out a lot of the rattling i had and i will pass on what i did to expand the forum's knowledge base...hopefully it can be useful to other members

1 - rear window rattle...i have visors on my doors and i tend to keep my rear windows slightly open to let air pass through when driving and when parked (Caribbean is a hot place most days). So i found i had a rattle from the rear of the cab when driving over bumpy/undulating roads and after searching i realized it was coming from the rear windows in the runners---there was excessive play which allowed them to rattle although in the rubber runners....So i cut a small piece of silicone hose about 1 inch long and about 5mm in diameter and pushed 1 piece of it into the runner itself on the passenger and driver's sides about half way up each runner (the runner on each side closest to the rear of the cab)...this apparently keeps the windows stable once half way up or higher and absolutely no rattles at all....and the rear windows still wind up and down freely...depending on how tight a fit or how much space or how much rattle you have, then you can vary the size of the silicone hose itself....i suppose rubber vacuum hose could work as well if you have the necessary sizes around, i used silicone hose because i own a turbo car and keep this stuff at home

2 - front brake rattle...similarly to above, i realized when driving on broken/bumpy/undulating roads that i was hearing rattling from the front of my pickup...when i pressed my brakes slightly the noise would go away...so i decided to take a look and everything seemed fine (i had recently installed new pads from Toyota)...anyways, after some thought i decided to replace the 2 pins, 1 anti-rattle spring and 1 pin clip on each side with new items (i don't think anything was wrong with the old pins and clips and spring i took out as i saw no signs of wear/fatigue, i just determined i was not going back in there anytime soon  so i replaced the whole lot and they were fairly cheap anyways)...my main remedy for the front brake rattle in the caliper over rough roads was to install 2 anti-rattle springs on each caliper instead of the 1 which came on the stock set up...i.e. instead of having 1 anti-rattle spring at the bottom of the caliper, i now had 1 at the bottom and 1 at the top of the caliper...this works great  ...for clarity, here is a link to the type of ant-rattle springs my pickup carries, as from watching videos on YouTube, i realize there may be different types (i even saw one that looks like and longer "s" shaped clip that attaches at both ends via the 2 pins) 
https://partsouq.com/en/search/all?q=477480K190 ...this one is what my pickup uses
PS make sure to double check your part number if you have this style of anti-rattle spring (there seems to be 2 different part numbers 47748-0K190, 47748-35010)

3 - glove compartment rattle ...well i took this out, cut 2 strips of duct tape the width of the tabs and wrapped it around the two tabs where the bottom of the glove compartment sits...just enough to make it fit snug and absorb some of the shaking...i also put a little tape on the top "latch" where the lock would clip around when its closed....and that pretty much reduced the rattling...i suppose electrical or any other tape would work, but i had black duct tape and my dash is black, so i use that  ...and duct tape probably will last longer...also, try not to keep lots of stuff in there that can rattle, as its plastic anything tapping against it during driving will probably rattle....i think some thin sponge along the inner parameter of the glove compartment would help as well, but i didn't need to do this, as i only have a few small "soft" items in there (mostly books/paper) 

4 - coin/ash tray/center arm rest---i folded a tissue and put it in there (covered the bottom and sides), this has significantly reduced coin rattle over bumpy roads...my plan is to get a thin piece of sponge and cut it to suit, just need to find the correct thickness.

5 - dash cup holders --- make sure the bottom piece which comes down to support the bottom of the cup/drink is securely clipped back in place, before you push them back into the dash if you use these...even the little springy/tabby bit in there can shake....i don't use them, but for those who do 

i've gotten a ton of information from this site and another hilux forum, so i hope that this information helps someone out there.
gorganl2000

Previous

Return to Tips & Tricks