How to clean your map sensor filter

Re: How to clean your map sensor filter

Postby jaybags on Thu, 13 Nov 2014 5:16 +0000

Cleaned mine out finally.. holy crap, didn't think so much oil would fit in that little thing. Goes so much better now. Hate to see what my EGR is like.. too nervous to attempt cleaning it.

Thanks for the advice Boxy 8-)
Cheers,
Jay

My (super slow) build - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=20120
jaybags

Postby AshA on Fri, 14 Nov 2014 5:26 +0000

Can anyone tell me the correct names for each of these two little filters and better still, their part numbers.

I tried to buy some from the spare parts counter at the local Toyota dealer and they didn't have a clue what I was talking about even though I described them as the two little filters that connect via vacuum hoses to the EGR valve and are sometimes called "Map Sensor Filters".

They didn't even seem to be able to find a Map Sensor in their parts catalogue even though I said it was connected to the side of the Intercooler at the front passenger side corner.

:roll:
AshA

Postby Talktheroo on Fri, 14 Nov 2014 5:29 +0000

footy81 wrote:Just did this and MAF.
Plenty of oil out of the filter and the MAF wires were black, went for a scoot and WOW.

Thanks for this and I thought my mechanic who has a really good reputation was on top of it all.

That's why I love this site:)

Ye, that's what it is all about.
Those hot wires get pretty dirty quickly, too.
What a wonderful forum world.
The Roo.
Passing through country and seeing country are two different things.
Talktheroo

Postby Talktheroo on Fri, 14 Nov 2014 5:32 +0000

AshA wrote:Can anyone tell me the correct names for each of these two little filters and better still, their part numbers.

I tried to buy some from the spare parts counter at the local Toyota dealer and they didn't have a clue what I was talking about even though I described them as the two little filters that connect via vacuum hoses to the EGR valve and are sometimes called "Map Sensor Filters".

They didn't even seem to be able to find a Map Sensor in their parts catalogue even though I said it was connected to the side of the Intercooler at the front passenger side corner.

:roll:

Common problem.
MAF sensor. On top of the air filter housing, as the photograph further back on this thread.
MAP filter. The part number is a bit further back, on this thread, I think.
The Roo.
Talktheroo

Postby AshA on Fri, 14 Nov 2014 6:16 +0000

There's two little filters, one has straight through connectors the other has angled ones.

The filter with the angled ones according to the threads back a few pages is PN 90917-11036 however I cant find the part number for the other one.

The MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) Sensor is the one shown in this photograph
http://www.hiluxparts.com/wp-content/up ... 181420.jpg
AshA

Postby AshA on Fri, 14 Nov 2014 6:26 +0000

ooops, it appears the thing I have been calling the MAP Sensor is actually called a "intake air pressure sensor"
AshA

Postby Luxi46 on Sat, 15 Nov 2014 1:11 +0000

AshA wrote:There's two little filters, one has straight through connectors the other has angled ones.

The filter with the angled ones according to the threads back a few pages is PN 90917-11036 however I cant find the part number for the other one.

The MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) Sensor is the one shown in this photograph
http://www.hiluxparts.com/wp-content/up ... 181420.jpg

The 'filter' connected to the top of the EGR valve (from your description) is not a particle filter, it's just hollow so it doesn't need cleaning. It serves to reduce the flutter or stutter of the valve, because vacuum can cut in or off pretty abruptly. The general names for it are non-metered orifice or just plain orifice. Just don't go looking for it at Toyota using those names. Or more blank stares will follow :D .
Can't buy it separately though, comes with the EGR valve and VSV as one unit, hence no partnumber. Best bet is the wreckers, or just use one of those small fuel filters, without the filter bit. Better then nothing.

Regardless of the name of the MAP sensor, going off your descriptions, the parts guy should've been able to find it. Useless….
Cheers,
Marvin
Luxi46
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Pids on Tue, 18 Nov 2014 10:27 +0000

After asking a few parts guys about this filter which none of them knew about I found a good parts bloke that let me have a look on his computer and I found it! part number is 90917 - 11044 for those that are interested. He had to order it in only took a couple of days to turn up.
Pids

Postby spud_714 on Fri, 21 Nov 2014 3:58 +0000

I need to do this! But have never fiddled under the hood before :/
spud_714

Postby jaybags on Fri, 21 Nov 2014 6:13 +0000

You'll be fine Spud, it's a piece of cake to do. Just follow Boxheads step by step photo's
Cheers,
Jay

My (super slow) build - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=20120
jaybags

Postby Talktheroo on Mon, 24 Nov 2014 5:57 +0000

MAF sensor location.

You have to undo the two screws, and then take out the MAF sensor. If you are unplugging, make sure you take off the negative terminal on the main battery. Make sure you take off the O ring seal, as MAF cleaner will damage it. Look into the bottom of the sensor and locate the two hot wires.
Spray some MAF sensor cleaner into where the hot wires are. You do this until the hot wires are clean.

Map filter location.

To clean the Map filter, you spray carby cleaner into the bottom barb until clean carby cleaner comes out the top barb.
Then spray compressed air into the bottom barb, to get out any residue of carby cleaner, left in the filter. You will see this come out.
You probably should do this every service, around the 10,000km mark.
I think it's important to do this, as part of your servicing.
The Roo.
Talktheroo

Postby footy81 on Tue, 25 Nov 2014 3:28 +0000

Have filled up twice since doing MAP filter and MAF sensor.
Before they were cleaned was averaging around 10.5L/100km
Now they are nice and clean I'm getting between 9 and 9.5L/100km.
No driving style changes if anything been giving it a bit more cos it feels so good:)

Awesome.

Cheers
footy81

Postby boxhead55 on Tue, 25 Nov 2014 4:21 +0000

SWEET!!!!
boxhead55

Postby Talktheroo on Tue, 25 Nov 2014 6:51 +0000

footy81 wrote:Have filled up twice since doing MAP filter and MAF sensor.
Before they were cleaned was averaging around 10.5L/100km
Now they are nice and clean I'm getting between 9 and 9.5L/100km.
No driving style changes if anything been giving it a bit more cos it feels so good:)

Awesome.

Cheers

Suddenly, they are the engines they are supposed to be.
A clean MAF sensor = less fuel consumption.
The Roo.
Talktheroo

Postby alexisdmtr on Tue, 25 Nov 2014 9:03 +0000

So I decided to call the toyota office today and ask them about maf sensor and see what they know about it.I was surprised to hear the chief engineer there (30yr old something guy) to know exactly was I was asking.He explained to me how it works (exactly what you all guys say here) and he said that they clean it when asked lol with a carb cleaner at every 50k his opinion was.
alexisdmtr

Postby rory18 on Tue, 25 Nov 2014 9:12 +0000

Maybe you were talking to boxhead?
rory18
Platinum Subscriber

Postby alexisdmtr on Wed, 26 Nov 2014 1:23 +0000

Maybe if he was 10000 miles away from his current place :).I liked the fact that this guy knew his thing...explained me all about it...as if he was reading what you guys write in here ...kinda got excited about it...he looks promising for future needs...and ya im referring carwise lol
alexisdmtr

Postby Talktheroo on Sat, 29 Nov 2014 3:04 +0000

alexisdmtr wrote:So I decided to call the toyota office today and ask them about maf sensor and see what they know about it.I was surprised to hear the chief engineer there (30yr old something guy) to know exactly was I was asking.He explained to me how it works (exactly what you all guys say here) and he said that they clean it when asked lol with a carb cleaner at every 50k his opinion was.

Do not clean the MAF sensor with carby cleaner. MAF Cleaner only. You will get a residue from the carby cleaners.
Carby cleaner for the MAP filter only. Make sure you use compressed air to get any residue out of the internals of the MAP filter, as well.
The Roo.
Talktheroo

Postby alexisdmtr on Sat, 29 Nov 2014 4:42 +0000

Talktheroo wrote:
alexisdmtr wrote:So I decided to call the toyota office today and ask them about maf sensor and see what they know about it.I was surprised to hear the chief engineer there (30yr old something guy) to know exactly was I was asking.He explained to me how it works (exactly what you all guys say here) and he said that they clean it when asked lol with a carb cleaner at every 50k his opinion was.

Do not clean the MAF sensor with carby cleaner. MAF Cleaner only. You will get a residue from the carby cleaners.
Carby cleaner for the MAP filter only. Make sure you use compressed air to get any residue out of the internals of the MAP filter, as well.
The Roo.

Damn ....where were you yesterday b4 having them cleaned with carb cleaner:)...I looked around though and couldnt find a maf cleaner.Not even toyota sells them...
alexisdmtr

Postby AdamHC on Sat, 29 Nov 2014 8:31 +0000

alexisdmtr wrote:
Talktheroo wrote:

The Roo.

Damn ....where were you yesterday b4 having them cleaned with carb cleaner:)...I looked around though and couldnt find a maf cleaner.Not even toyota sells them...

I just picked mine up from Autobarn
AdamHC

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks