Getting that turbo whoosh noise

Re: Getting that turbo whoosh noise

Postby BIGFOOTJR on Thu, 26 Sep 2013 8:18 +0000

Take the complete air intake assembly off and you'll get a wooooosh lol
BIGFOOTJR

Postby wakil on Fri, 27 Sep 2013 6:39 +0000

BIGFOOTJR wrote:Take the complete air intake assembly off and you'll get a wooooosh lol

:lol: think of the bucks you'd save in snorkels and air filters, shame about the mud and dust. Might get a wooooosh and a BANG haha
Cheers, Will

He who laughs last thinks slowest!

35" CLAWS, Monster Rides Suspension, DC2 Wheels

Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=18116
wakil

Postby Weekend Warrior on Fri, 27 Sep 2013 6:46 +0000

mine does it best when putting it under load until about 1600rpm then take your foot off. Does it best in 3rd and 4th gear for me. Anything about 1800rpm and it doesn't do it for me.

Standard exhaust with muffler cut out.
Weekend Warrior

Postby ktm450 on Wed, 30 Oct 2013 5:43 +0000

Any vids of this sound
ktm450

Postby cizzink11 on Wed, 30 Oct 2013 6:07 +0000

I put a pod filter on for lols oneday. Only got a low rpm whoosh. Higher rpm seemed to eat the boosted air lol.
cizzink11

Postby 200sx on Wed, 30 Oct 2013 8:07 +0000

Im not familiar with the hilux system but here are some basic points, sr5 arriving soon :)

A wastegate controls the amount of exhaust gas that flows through the hot section of the turbo (how fast the turbo spins to give a given boost pressure)common types are internal and external, internal being in the turbo itself and external being a separate unit, they do the same thing. On my Nissan I have external to atmosphere which is really loud when its open, wastegates do not directly effect induction noise

A BOV vents excess air(pressurized) when the throttle is closed, the pssht you hear on jap cars is an atmo bov, which means it vents straight to atmosphere. All cars come standard with these valves plumbed back into the intake due to emission laws and sound etc

Running no BOV will aid in getting the flutter or pidgeon sound as when you snap the throttle closed the pressurised air has no where to go so the air sort of travels in the opposite direction and gets chopped up by the intake side of the turbine.

The whoosh sound will increase at as you free the system up, so the turbo can spin up earlier/faster, also increases in boost /turbo size will make for hectic intake and flutter

this is my understanding of it if im wrong let me know
200sx

Postby rysermon on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 8:52 +0000

out of curiosity my mate has a 2007 d4d with a straight pipe exhaust nothing in it bar the factory cat. and when he changes gears he gets turbo flutter the stereotypical sound you'd get from a turbocharged import car. yet mine which has the same deal only a high flow cat and 3inch makes none what so ever.. i get the turbo spool and whistle noise for spooling up and spooling down but thats it.. his sounds like its fresh out of fast and furious.. whats the go with that :|
"Lifes Simple, You make choices and you dont look back"
08 (09facelift) Hilux SR D4D - Daily and adventure vehicle
99 Silvia S15 Spec r - Sunday driver
rysermon

Postby Kizzzaaa on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 9:13 +0000

rysermon wrote:out of curiosity my mate has a 2007 d4d with a straight pipe exhaust nothing in it bar the factory cat. and when he changes gears he gets turbo flutter the stereotypical sound you'd get from a turbocharged import car. yet mine which has the same deal only a high flow cat and 3inch makes none what so ever.. i get the turbo spool and whistle noise for spooling up and spooling down but thats it.. his sounds like its fresh out of fast and furious.. whats the go with that :|

Not exactly sure the technical side of how the sound travels but its to do with the smaller diameter stock pipe.

I rekon you will get over the pew sound soon too. I used to have that but now a 3 inch with high flow cat and small hotdog resonator. Sounds alot better and sounds more"tuned" i suppose.
Kizzzaaa

Postby Kris on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 4:05 +0000

Get a mate to sit in the passenger seat and every time you change gears get them to crack the seal on a bottle of Sprite. On a Patrol forum it was found sprite has a more realistic sound than coke. Fanta is terrible, sars is ok, but for turbo wooshiness they believe Sprite works the best .This is in 600ml bottles, 2Lt bottles would make you sound a bit like a knob/tryhard. Keep it real-keep it 600ml. :roll:
If I had a dog that looked like him, I'd shave it's arse and make it walk backwards.
Kris

Postby aandy on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 4:32 +0000

Kris wrote:Get a mate to sit in the passenger seat and every time you change gears get them to crack the seal on a bottle of Sprite. On a Patrol forum it was found sprite has a more realistic sound than coke. Fanta is terrible, sars is ok, but for turbo wooshiness they believe Sprite works the best .This is in 600ml bottles, 2Lt bottles would make you sound a bit like a knob/tryhard. Keep it real-keep it 600ml. :roll:

Sound advice there Kris.

Just wondering how many wooshes you get out of one bottle and what sort of frequency a single operator can achieve? It worries me that if there are multiple groups of people on one street I wouldn't achieve a minimum of one woosh per group of people. I often see WRX's give at least two wooshes per group indefinitely, how would this be best achieved?

Edit: Just found another option https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00LPlHDP98Q
Last edited by aandy on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 4:45 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
aandy

Postby aandy on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 4:44 +0000

DP
aandy

Postby Kris on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 4:47 +0000

Not sure mate. A friend of a friend that is a patrol owner saw it on a pootroll forum......honest.
Maybe have an box of 600ml bottles on the back seat and replace as the wooshiness dies off? It'd be cool to have 4 passengers with a bottle each, all wooshing out of sync on gear changes if front of the kids the wooshers are lapping past - how cool would that sound lol :roll: Mega Multiple Wooshiness....nearly as cool as going to a Nickleback concert :lol:

I try not to associate with turbo wooshers, prefer just to use my Hilux as a 4x4 when I can. I know it's not a WRX. (settle down champion Hilux, wooshers, just having a joke)
If I had a dog that looked like him, I'd shave it's arse and make it walk backwards.
Kris

Postby rysermon on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 11:25 +0000

hahaha, yeh i thought it might be a case of the smaller diameter pipe !, think its time to bust out the mig need to shorten my 3 inch exhaust its only got the high flow cat on it thats it but i think it needs to end before the diff :P needs more tractor sound
"Lifes Simple, You make choices and you dont look back"
08 (09facelift) Hilux SR D4D - Daily and adventure vehicle
99 Silvia S15 Spec r - Sunday driver
rysermon

Postby Kris on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 12:48 +0000

My 3"Taipan system finishes at the diff with a turn down dumpy pipe, still quiet, no tractor noise. I removed the tailpipe because after the rear quarter chop it hung down way too low.
Kris.
Kris

Previous

Return to Tips & Tricks