Steering wheels

Re: Steering wheels

Postby mazman76 on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 5:30 +0000

Dale- it's not straight swap, but it's not hard either. Get the wheel with controls, get the newer clockspring to suit and you will need to wire in extra cables from the stereo to the steering wheel plug.
I just did a newer swap again from the 2010 to the 2013 steering wheel and is the same. I.e. the clockspring the same as the one for the 2010 steering wheel.
I am wanting to wire up the phone controls so when I pull it apart again, I will try and take some photos and post up the wiring changes for the earlier cars to the later version to allow controls upgrade. FYI my car is the 2007 dual cab SR.

Image[/URL]
mazman76

Postby llough10 on Tue, 22 Aug 2017 12:22 +0000

mazman76 wrote:Dale- it's not straight swap, but it's not hard either. Get the wheel with controls, get the newer clockspring to suit and you will need to wire in extra cables from the stereo to the steering wheel plug.
I just did a newer swap again from the 2010 to the 2013 steering wheel and is the same. I.e. the clockspring the same as the one for the 2010 steering wheel.
I am wanting to wire up the phone controls so when I pull it apart again, I will try and take some photos and post up the wiring changes for the earlier cars to the later version to allow controls upgrade. FYI my car is the 2007 dual cab SR.

Image[/URL]

Hi Mate,

I just purchased a 2013 Steering Wheel with Controls to fit to my 2007 Hilux.

Got all the parts - EXCEPT I forgot to get the BLACK plug that goes into the clockspring (I believe) for the stereo controls.

Do you think I could purchase this plug from Toyota or do you believe I should get one from the wreckers?
llough10

Postby llough10 on Tue, 22 Aug 2017 12:23 +0000

Also, really annoyed with Photobucket :evil:
llough10

Postby llough10 on Wed, 30 Aug 2017 5:44 +0000

Turns out I DID get the black plug for the Steering Wheel controls - it was still in the box.

I just attached the Steering Wheel from a 2013 Hilux to a 2007 Hilux - looking for advice on wiring, however I have noticed this thread has a few recommendations, so I shall wade through that before asking any questions ;)

Looking at how to attach additional wires/pins for the steering wheel controls - might do some hunting on the forum.
Last edited by llough10 on Tue, 05 Sep 2017 12:46 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
llough10

Postby Critter350 on Thu, 31 Aug 2017 7:12 +0000

I'm interested in the details when you get this worked out IIough10.

Cheers
Crit
Critter350

Postby llough10 on Tue, 05 Sep 2017 12:47 +0000

Critter350 wrote:I'm interested in the details when you get this worked out IIough10.

Cheers
Crit

Sure - I will just need to re-read through this thread and work out the wiring. Probably take 30min to figure out and fix...

I just don't even have THAT at the moment :shock:
llough10

Postby Timbo1980 on Mon, 19 Jul 2021 12:32 +0000

Hi all,

On a slightly different topic, does anyone know if its possible to replace the leather part of an 2013 SR5 steering wheel with a vinyl version, without changing any of the other components of the steering wheel (wiring, buttons, position sensor etc)? The buttons I have on the wheel are audio, phone, 'mode' and the cruise control stick.

After 230k kms the leather on mine is badly worn, and I am planning to keep this car pretty much forever, so I would like something more durable. I did ask an auto sparky at one stage if it could be done and he said due to the SR5 having stability control etc, there were position sensors in the steering wheel and that wouldn't be compatible with any of the vinyl replacements. What I am wondering is if there is any way to replace just the leather wrapped part of the wheel with vinyl, but leave all the buttons and electronics the same?

Cheers.
Timbo1980

Postby Rob_Wood on Mon, 19 Jul 2021 7:42 +0000

Timbo1980 wrote:Hi all,

On a slightly different topic, does anyone know if its possible to replace the leather part of an 2013 SR5 steering wheel with a vinyl version, without changing any of the other components of the steering wheel (wiring, buttons, position sensor etc)? The buttons I have on the wheel are audio, phone, 'mode' and the cruise control stick.

After 230k kms the leather on mine is badly worn, and I am planning to keep this car pretty much forever, so I would like something more durable. I did ask an auto sparky at one stage if it could be done and he said due to the SR5 having stability control etc, there were position sensors in the steering wheel and that wouldn't be compatible with any of the vinyl replacements. What I am wondering is if there is any way to replace just the leather wrapped part of the wheel with vinyl, but leave all the buttons and electronics the same?

Cheers.

Interesting Query. Dad had a Ford Exploder years ago and the vinyl cover wore through to expose the buttons underneath. I think from memory it was cruise control stuff. Never really did anything with it, but one idea might be to look for a decent upholsterer and see if they can do anything with it? The main issue you'll face is likely to be having to remember where the buttons are actually located under the new cover you get.
One thing I might mention is that I think you'd be better getting leather if you can, vinyl can dry out and crack quite quickly ... especially if you're in a dry climate area. Leather on the other hand can last extremely long time, especially if you keep it treated with good quality leather protection creams. The name of which escapes me right this second and it's too cold outside for me to go out to the shed right now and check.
Rob_Wood

Postby Gipsy on Tue, 20 Jul 2021 6:32 +0000

Or buy 2nd hand from a wrecker, probably the cheapest fix, as upholsterers do charge for labour. ;)
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Previous

Return to Tips & Tricks