Constant power to window when doors unlocked

Constant power to window when doors unlocked

Postby kyle.tamb on Sun, 04 Aug 2013 4:38 +0000

so i went to do the constant power to the power windows mods but didnt like the idea of full time power there for a few reason so ive altered the mod alittle, so basicly ive used 3 relays in a latching on off design with the door locks. so when you unlock the car with either keyless entry or key entry the relay will kick in and trip the standard hilux window relay so have power at the windows and then when you lock the car either keyless or key lock the relay will drop out and there will be no power to the windows.

you can also add in a diode so this mod will only give power to windows only (i did) or without the diode and it will power other items.

ive had this mod for a week now and found no ill effects

ive dont a very basic write below...

items youll need
3x 12volt change over relays
10amp wire and electrical fittings
3x diodes (i used 3amp one's but 1amp will be fine)

this is the diagram for the latching relay system useing the 12volt = feed pulse to trigger and latch or unlatch and supply a 12v feed for the standard hilux window relay via the door locks keyless and key

i mounted the relay bank under the standard window relay (the gray relay) you can earth the relays at the mounting bolt

now to wire in the door lock triggers, about a foot below the window reley (grey one) there are 5 connectors (4 white, 1 black) we want the black connector. the red wire with yellow line and 2 grey spots tee's into the left hand relay + pulse trigger on diagram this is door unlock.
the red wire with 2 grey spots tee's in with the middle relay +pulse trigger on diagram this is door lock.

behind the standard window relay youll want the red wire with blue line, this is the standard window relay trigger wire you want to tee this in with the 12volt + output from the diagram, this is where you can add an optional diode so this mod will only power the windows and not other items (make sure you double check youve got the correct red wire with blue strip as there are a few as you can see).

finally you just need to give the relay setup a constand battery 12volt+, just above the standard window relay you can get a bat 12v+ you cAn see in the pic its the green wire (the red wire isnt normally there) you should also add a 5amp fuse there.

this is just an overview picture

i am not an electrician and do not work for toyota, you do this mod at your own risk!!!
kyle.tamb

Re: Constant power to window when doors unlocked

Postby robert.campbell5 on Fri, 23 Aug 2013 5:44 +0000

Thanks mate. Nice job. Do you think you could resize the pics so I can copy and paste to a word doc just in case this gets deleted again?
robert.campbell5

Postby Swinny on Fri, 23 Aug 2013 8:10 +0000

Orsome thanks :D
Swinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kyle.tamb on Sun, 25 Aug 2013 4:14 +0000

if i can work out how to re-size the pics i will but odds arnt good haha
kyle.tamb

Postby Loosey on Sun, 25 Aug 2013 4:34 +0000

robert.campbell5 wrote:Thanks mate. Nice job. Do you think you could resize the pics so I can copy and paste to a word doc just in case this gets deleted again?

Save the image, edit with mspaint, resize, save as jpeg, you have your resized image.
Aaron

Introductory Thread | My Shed | My Build
2007 Silver SR5 D/C D4D Upgrade
Loosey

Postby brusa on Sun, 25 Aug 2013 5:35 +0000

Nice color lux, right there kyle.tamb :D
FCCW
Brusa.
....the more hair I lose, the more head I get.....
brusa@newhilux.net
brusa

Postby kyle.tamb on Mon, 26 Aug 2013 7:28 +0000

haha right back at ya brusa :D
kyle.tamb

Postby robert.campbell5 on Fri, 01 Nov 2013 5:01 +0000

behind the standard window relay youll want the red wire with blue line, this is the standard window relay trigger wire you want to tee this in with the 12volt + output from the diagram, this is where you can add an optional diode so this mod will only power the windows and not other items (make sure you double check youve got the correct red wire with blue strip as there are a few as you can see).

Got my relay bank setup and ready to install. Just wondering how exactly you can make sure you have the correct wire in the instructions above? Is it just a matter of following the wire? If so, where does it go? Or do you need to circuit test it? I'm still fairly new to 12v!

Thanks in advance.
robert.campbell5

Postby robert.campbell5 on Sat, 02 Nov 2013 9:00 +0000

Never mind. Worked it out. I thought two of them went into the grey relay but after undoing all the tape I was able to trace it better.

Once I had it all hooked up I went to test it from the passenger side. None of the windows were working at all. Spent 20 mins testing earth points and my new fuse box before I realised the window lock was on!
robert.campbell5

Postby ScubaDooba on Tue, 12 Nov 2013 5:33 +0000

Hi,

I've just installed my relay bank as per the great instructions and everything works fine until I lock and then unlock the doors. Apparently I blow a fuse (15a extreme right of the fuse block in the pics) either during the lock or unlock cycle.

I have double-checked my wiring and all seems fine (well the stuff works initially) and cant find any errors. Anyone got an idea what I may have stuffed up ?

Cheers
Cheers,
Scuba Dooba

Postby TDog on Wed, 13 Nov 2013 8:10 +0000

My Build Thread!

Beer O'Clock Hill!
LCMP Camp Road!
Janowen Hills Mud Run!

If you don't mind .......... I have a serious crush on my Hilux!
TDog
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Swinny on Wed, 13 Nov 2013 10:55 +0000

down the bottom there's a link to a mechanical place... they might of looked at someone's when they serviced it

Robert J Timms mechanical service place
http://www.robertjt.com.au/
Swinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ScubaDooba on Wed, 13 Nov 2013 11:28 +0000

It looks like a different setup to the one this thread is about. It is only a single relay with what looks to be only three or four electrical connections. Might be a better way to go maybe.
Cheers,
Scuba Dooba

Postby MLTZER on Wed, 13 Nov 2013 1:05 +0000

Would something like this be of use?

http://bit.ly/183V1Un
MLTZER

Postby ng_newbie on Wed, 13 Nov 2013 3:46 +0000

Hey Swinny

Well spotted mate

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271320180630

I cant understand why Kyle would re-design this circuit, this ebay kit is so KISS, but Kyle's seems very complicated to me, just far too many components that can & will eventually fail ( oh no fault finding & maintenance ) or could be DOA !!!

I bought one of these ebay kits as my first electronic hack, so I was very concerned about changing anything that would effect my new utes warranty & this is by far the very best hack for a hilux, my previous favorite hack was the folding rear seat.

The kit arrived really promptly, it was easy to follow the instructions & I actually thought that $50 was too cheap, but I'm not complaining, the merchant was even happy to send it to my PO Box (some merchants wont), we do not have a postman or even a letter box.

The only issue I can see is he is quoting 30 minutes to install, most people could do this in 10-15.

I have been running this kit in my '12 SR5 for going on 6 months & I use it every day, extremely happy with it, as Molly would say "Do youself a favour" :ugeek:

If you only make one electrical mod to your ute, buy this kit it saves you time & hassle day after day !!!
In the market for

- Lokkas & someone to help me install it :)
- 24v Rattle gun - https://dewalt.com.au/products/dcf899hn ... -bare-unit
- 24v Freezer
- 24v Air Conditioner
- 24v Battery Pack - ozBATs.com
ng_newbie

Postby slice on Mon, 02 Dec 2013 6:35 +0000

ng_newbie wrote:Hey Swinny

Well spotted mate

I cant understand why Kyle would re-design this circuit, this ebay kit is so KISS, but Kyle's seems very complicated to me, just far too many components that can & will eventually fail ( oh no fault finding & maintenance ) or could be DOA !!!

I bought one of these ebay kits as my first electronic hack, so I was very concerned about changing anything that would effect my new utes warranty & this is by far the very best hack for a hilux, my previous favorite hack was the folding rear seat.

The kit arrived really promptly, it was easy to follow the instructions & I actually thought that $50 was too cheap, but I'm not complaining, the merchant was even happy to send it to my PO Box (some merchants wont), we do not have a postman or even a letter box.

The only issue I can see is he is quoting 30 minutes to install, most people could do this in 10-15.

I have been running this kit in my '12 SR5 for going on 6 months & I use it every day, extremely happy with it, as Molly would say "Do youself a favour" :ugeek:

If you only make one electrical mod to your ute, buy this kit it saves you time & hassle day after day !!!
The ebay one would be good if you don't mind opening the door to activate the relay
slice

Postby davo94 on Tue, 03 Dec 2013 11:48 +0000

slice wrote:

Well spotted mate

The ebay one would be good if you don't mind opening the door to activate the relay

From what I can see the ebay one is only half the job.
If wired up to only work if a door is open no on the lock or unlock of the ute.

any one got this mod car to share the installation guide?

Pm if you wish.
Another 2013 sr5 owner..
davo94

Postby ng_newbie on Tue, 03 Dec 2013 1:16 +0000

slice wrote:

Well spotted mate

. . .

Hey Slice

I do not understand how this is a limitation, as I said I use it every day :)

What is a better way to wire / activate this circuit ???

TIA
In the market for

- Lokkas & someone to help me install it :)
- 24v Rattle gun - https://dewalt.com.au/products/dcf899hn ... -bare-unit
- 24v Freezer
- 24v Air Conditioner
- 24v Battery Pack - ozBATs.com
ng_newbie

Postby slice on Wed, 04 Dec 2013 6:22 +0000

Davo94, i emailed the guy who said it only works with a door open...

Hi Ng, If you like how it is then there is no need to change it, I have a habit from working out of my tritan that I turn the car off, then realize that I have left some windows down. At times when it's been raining I've used this function also.
For me it would just have to be a thing to remember, like leaving the keys on to put all windows up ;)

There is no better way but I'll stick with the OP
slice

Postby slice on Wed, 04 Dec 2013 12:18 +0000

Just made up the relays, Now waiting on my soldering iron to arrive to install this :D
Here are a few pics
Red is the 12 volt active with a 5amp fuse
Orange is the 12 volt out, going to the window red with blue stripe cable, will have a diode installed
black is neutral/earth
the white cables are the unlock and lock signals

slice

Next

Return to Tips & Tricks