How To Service Tough Dog Adjustable Shocks.

How To Service Tough Dog Adjustable Shocks.

Postby pisso01 on Sat, 02 Mar 2013 7:53 +0000

So the adjustment knobs on my Tough Dog shocks got really tight and eventually to the point where I couldnt move them at all. I rang Tough Dog and they told me to do the following to fix it. Really is very simple and I think probably a good idea to do it every so often. Took about 10 - 15min per corner.

What you will need:

A 1/8 Allan Key (make sure its the right size because its really easy to damage these small allen bolts).
A can of carby cleaner.
Some greese (they told me to use a particular greese but I cant remember it so I just used some wheel bearing greese I had here).

So use your allen key to remove the adjuster knob.

Screw the plunger out of the housing and clean it all up with the carby cleaner. You might need a small brush or something to get all the old dried out greese out.

Blow it all off and let it dry out. While your waiting have a look in the shock body. Give it a spray with the carby cleaner and wipe it out. You will see a small disc in there. Get a screw driver and push on the disc to make sure its free. It should have some pressure behind it. Give it a good load of greese.

Now load up the adjuster housing with greese and screw the plunger back in. Work it in and out and make sure there is greese all through it.

Now just put it all back together. I didnt tighten the bolts all the way at first and wound the adjuster in and out a bit to let any excess greese out. I also smeared a bit of greese on both sides of the gaskit to help it reseal. Now you can enjoy your shocks being easy to adjust again.

Both my rear adjusters are pretty much cactus. The washer holding the knob in the housing has broken so it can pull out. They still work but ill order some new ones incase they fall out and let water and shit in.

Cheers,

Chris.
My touring Lux - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=7795 - Nearly finished
pisso01

Return to Tips & Tricks