Snorkel Install Guide

Re: Snorkel Install Guide

Postby kAm on Wed, 24 Oct 2012 7:58 +0000

it was a second hand snorkel. had that plate siliconed to the top. its a 2003 hilux.
it seems to act as a better catch for water/mud and let it drip down the side of the snorkel head.
kAm

Postby DeadlyBeast on Wed, 24 Oct 2012 8:24 +0000

Ooops! - I should have looked at your shed :lol:
Does the ram head have gaps around the bottom for the water to run out?
The model that I have has a few channels leading out over the snorkel body. Water forced in at speed would hit the inside of the ram then collect and run down the channel gaps exiting over the snorkel body. I'm sure if the ram was facing forward that some water would get into the filter box if driven thru torrential rain long enough despite the channel exits.
DeadlyBeast

Postby kAm on Wed, 24 Oct 2012 8:47 +0000

its the same as this
no idea why it was installed but i can only guess its to help gather water and let it repel through the snorkel head.

anyway its been removed, thought it looked a bit odd
kAm

Postby signmaster on Sun, 28 Oct 2012 10:52 +0000

I installed my snorkel yesterday, drilled the holes for the plastic inserts a bit smaller and filed them a bit square, thought it would fit the plastic inserts better. All went well, cleaned my MAF sensor, cleaned all the muck out of the bottom of the air cleaner box, especially in the little compartment above the rubber water release valve. Also put in some diesel conditioner. Runs like new, more power and appears to be getting better fuel economy.
Steve
signmaster

Postby dazza490 on Sun, 28 Oct 2012 12:27 +0000

Was looking at ebay to get a snorkel and wasn't sure how to fit it but after reading the step by step guide i am happy to fit one now and certainly understand it a lot better great post.
dazza490

Postby merto on Sun, 28 Oct 2012 1:25 +0000

Great instructions mate....very easy to follow!
merto

Postby Sting on Wed, 12 Dec 2012 1:02 +0000

Thanks for some great pics DeadlyBeast and easy to follow instructions that are much easier to follow than the Safari one. The extra info will make all the difference :)
Horse power is like money, you can never have too much.
Sting

Postby Pazz01 on Wed, 12 Dec 2012 2:03 +0000

That is a very informative explanation. I've just bought my hilux and it came with a snorkel. I hope they were as careful with metal shavings etc as you, especially for pillar installation.

Good work.

Cheers
Pazz
Pazz01

Postby davbar65 on Fri, 28 Dec 2012 7:36 +0000

A couple of quick tips:

The easiest and quickest way to remove the inner guard clips is to drill them out with a step drill...liner out in 2 minutes.
Most fitters seal the drain hole in the air filter housing with Sikaflex to prevent water getting in through the rubber drain fitting during water crossings.
Be very careful when drilling the mount holes in the A pillar not to drill through your radio aerial cable.
Cheers.
davbar65

Postby neff on Sun, 06 Jan 2013 7:37 +0000

wow looks like a pro job, my brother and i used mandrel silicone bends rather than the plastic supplied,
and a heap of Sikaflex FC!!
Good Job
neff

Postby tomdrivesahilux on Wed, 03 Apr 2013 9:20 +0000

Awesome mate this is just what I was looking for. Gives me a lot more confidence to fit mine now cheers
tomdrivesahilux

Postby DeadlyBeast on Wed, 03 Apr 2013 6:48 +0000

Good stuff - good to see you guys are finding the guide of some use.
neff - the silicon mandrel bends sound interesting. Can you post some pics?
DeadlyBeast

Postby skivn on Sat, 25 May 2013 8:26 +0000

davbar65 wrote:A couple of quick tips:

Most fitters seal the drain hole in the air filter housing with Sikaflex to prevent water getting in through the rubber drain fitting during water crossings.

I installed My Safari snorkel a while ago and this year we are going to the Cape and expecting some deep water.
I am tossing up whether or not to seal the rubber drain hole at the botton of the housing even though it should seal under vacuum conditions.

Has anyone else sealled this drain plug and is it safe to do?
My hilux is new and the plug is in good condition>

Thanks
skivn

Postby WinM70 on Sat, 25 May 2013 10:37 +0000

They're designed to let water out and not in as far as I understood, they look to be up to the task aswell.

Lee.
Keeping Australia beautiful, one feral at a time.
WinM70

Postby amitch888 on Sat, 25 May 2013 10:59 +0000

I sealed mine right off, filled the entire hole with silicon. I check my air box enough to clean it out and check things over.

Another question, the gal rivets on the air box where the air enters, has anyone noticed if these leak?

Last week we had a hilux (not mine) get stuck in a high country river, won't go into details but it end up submerging to the point the entire bonnet was under. Once out, 8-10mins later, we check over a few things and found a small puddle in the air box, very small, definitely didn't go into the engine intake, but still curious as to where the water got in, the s shape rubber from the air box to the snorkel was 100% sealed, drain in the bottom of the air box had been sealed off, air box lid was on properly and would also suck down a little harder when running? Either it's taken a splash of water through the top of the snorkel on entry, seeing the situation I find this hard to see happening. Otherwise the gal rivets? When running our finger over the rivet on the outside we could see the slight movement of water on the inside, the drip was pulsating as I dabbed my finger against it.
FCCW
Mitch's Build

Education is what you get when you read the fine print, experience is what you get when you don't.
amitch888

Postby SRLUXX on Sun, 26 May 2013 6:18 +0000

installed my snorkel the other day using this install guide, worked awesome,

Cheers deadlybeast for this awesome install guide!

Cheers Nixon
SRLUXX

Postby SRLUXX on Sun, 26 May 2013 6:22 +0000

amitch888 wrote:I sealed mine right off, filled the entire hole with silicon. I check my air box enough to clean it out and check things over.

Another question, the gal rivets on the air box where the air enters, has anyone noticed if these leak?

Last week we had a hilux (not mine) get stuck in a high country river, won't go into details but it end up submerging to the point the entire bonnet was under. Once out, 8-10mins later, we check over a few things and found a small puddle in the air box, very small, definitely didn't go into the engine intake, but still curious as to where the water got in, the s shape rubber from the air box to the snorkel was 100% sealed, drain in the bottom of the air box had been sealed off, air box lid was on properly and would also suck down a little harder when running? Either it's taken a splash of water through the top of the snorkel on entry, seeing the situation I find this hard to see happening. Otherwise the gal rivets? When running our finger over the rivet on the outside we could see the slight movement of water on the inside, the drip was pulsating as I dabbed my finger against it.

Hmm i was suspect on my rivets aswell so i ended up sealing them off, But not for some reason my airbox lid won't seal down properly, only just noticed it after i had a small abound of water in the bottom, and it sort of has a whisting noise where it sucks the air in :?

I have re-adjusted the airbox and tried to get it to seal but with no joy, Next service ill tell toyota its leaking and get them to replace it.

Cheers Nixon
SRLUXX

Postby DeadlyBeast on Sun, 26 May 2013 8:02 +0000

WinM70 wrote:They're designed to let water out and not in as far as I understood, they look to be up to the task aswell.

Lee.

Thanks Lee - I'll 2nd that
Even if the engine isn't running I would think this valve would withstand a fair amount of water pressure before inverting.

When driving thru heavy rain its inevitable to get some water ingress from the snorkel into the filter box - the valve will allow the water to escape before any problems may result. By design, the air box does a god job of channeling the water into the lowest point - the valve.

My thinking is that by the time water is high enough to cover the filter box I would have much bigger things to worry about - although engine failure is right up there.

Up to personal choice - good to have everyone's opinions and experiences posted to help others make an informed decision

Cheers
Steve
DeadlyBeast

Postby DeadlyBeast on Sun, 26 May 2013 8:09 +0000

amitch888 wrote:Another question, the gal rivets on the air box where the air enters, has anyone noticed if these leak?

Last week we had a hilux (not mine) get stuck in a high country river, won't go into details but it end up submerging to the point the entire bonnet was under.

Hey Mitch, I've not noticed the rivets leaking but I reckon that if there is any gap water will find its way thru there after a full submersion.

I found (in a past life when building) it didn't matter how well I thought I had sealed off old roof flashings, caps etc - if there is a gap or hole, water will find its way in. It can be frustrating to find the leak, when you think you have found the point of entry and sealed it off water seems to find another way.

Should be easy enough to seal off the rivets though.
How did the lux go after the dunk? Any electrical problems?

Cheers
Steve
Last edited by DeadlyBeast on Sun, 26 May 2013 10:58 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
DeadlyBeast

Postby DeadlyBeast on Sun, 26 May 2013 8:11 +0000

SRLUXX wrote:installed my snorkel the other day using this install guide, worked awesome,

Cheers deadlybeast for this awesome install guide!

Cheers Nixon

No worries mate,
Let us know if you found anything that worked well or not so well

Cheers
DeadlyBeast

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks