USB-Ipod cable 2012 SR5

USB-Ipod cable 2012 SR5

Postby berniecam on Sat, 21 Jul 2012 4:57 +0000

The USB socket is located on the left hand side of the sat nav I was looking at it to work out a way to get the cable as neat as I could over to the right side little dash pocket beside the sat nav unit to put my Ipod touch in,as the left hand side has my better half's sunnys in it. This looks & works pretty good. Lay the cable in the space betrween the bottom of the sat nav unit & the dash cowl that goes over it, use the side of your favourite credit card & push the cable into it right back it sits snugly in there & is out of site & will easily pull out if you need to remove it.(ok I know you can use bluetooth & no need for cable but I preferr the cable set up).CHEERS. :)
berniecam

Re: USB-Ipod cable 2012 SR5

Postby 10 luxxxx on Sat, 21 Jul 2012 5:11 +0000

Any chance of a photo mate also is it not easier to put it in the glove box Or can you still use it to select songs on the new model head unit.
10 luxxxx

Postby berniecam on Sat, 21 Jul 2012 6:31 +0000

Hi 10 luxxxx. I guess you can put it in glove box, but that little dash pocket seems it was just made for it, the new head unit will give you all functions & more from unit & steering wheel actually when the USB cable is plugged into head unit you cannot select any music functions on the Ipod all available through head unit only, you can select other functions on Ipod like wifi,email at same time. Will put up photo when I get a chance. CHEERS. ;
Hi 10 luxxx. The top photo is the version 1 it would be quite ok for anyone that does not wan't to complicate things & you do not have to remove the dash surround over the sat nav unit if you use this version.

Version 2 The second & third photos explain it pretty good, I had a second look at it because I thought it looked a bit shabby with all that wire from the USB cable just hanging about. This is how I did it- remove the dash facia around the sat nav unit lay some good soft cloth under it as you remove it so as not to scratch any part of the dash or the facia you just removed,the right hand side dash socket is exposed once the facia is out of the way get a small round file & cut a slot in the top of the dash socket as shown in photo it only has to pass the small cable NOT the Ipod plug, I made it just big enough so the cable could be easily pulled or pushed through it, pass the other end with the USB plug through dash space so it will exit where you see it in photo hang it under the sat nav unit,as you start replacing the front facia feed it through again be careful not to scratch any thing,locate all the facia locating studs & gently push with steady hand pressure till it all locks into place, if you plug the USB in just before you finally push it all home just leave enough to make the bend around loop look neat,it can easily be pulled back out of it's socket if you need to plug in another USB stick or cable. I used a genuine Apple USB cable because some of the after market generic cables will not allow the Ipod to get a battery charge,(bit fussy I know but I also painted the Apple cable with black vinyl paint because they only come in white, & it stuck out like dogs b***s). When not using Ipod or phone you can push all the cable back up into the dash space & it all look's very neat. The small slot you filed into the dash pocket cannot be seen from the front,& the USB plug end will also require a small half circle slot to be very carefully filed (care required no to scratch the face) on the inside lip of the front facia panel while you have it hanging out, give it about a 45 degree tilt on the slot so that when you push the facia home with steady hand pressure the cable rides very comfortably into the slot you should be able to move the cable in slot even when the facia is finally all the way home & you cannot see the slot from the front of the sat nav unit it will end up a very neat installation . Of course if you wante'd to use the left hand socket it would work the same. :)
Last edited by berniecam on Wed, 08 Aug 2012 5:24 +0000, edited 4 times in total.
berniecam

USB-Ipod cable 2012 SR5

Postby NimrodAUS on Sat, 21 Jul 2012 8:32 +0000

I haven't had much of a play but how do I get it to work my iPhone as an ipod with USB cable and charge it. I got it to charge once but it keeps wanting to bluetooth it and when I pressed iPod no sound but it was playing :( however if I went to Bluetooth there was sounds but I can't get to albums from that option
NimrodAUS

Postby berniecam on Sun, 22 Jul 2012 5:54 +0000

NimrodAUS wrote:I haven't had much of a play but how do I get it to work my iPhone as an ipod with USB cable and charge it. I got it to charge once but it keeps wanting to bluetooth it and when I pressed iPod no sound but it was playing :( however if I went to Bluetooth there was sounds but I can't get to albums from that option

Hi"NimrodAUS" I would have thought the Iphone would work the same as my Ipod touch mine is gen 4 64 gig connects up as soon as I plug it in just have to select Ipod option on the head unit menu it all comes up with,album ,artist, song title,color album cover, song duration,track number,basically all functions of the Ipod itself,also selectable on steering wheel buttons. One thing I found was that because I had the equaliser set to a specific sound in my Ipod it was causing some chatter in the sound output sometimes,I went to settings & turned the Ipod to flat fixed problem straight away,you can use the equaliser from the head unit to adjust to your specific requirements.When the Ipod is plugged in you also have no Ipod music controls available on it understandable because you have transferred all controls to the head unit. About your Iphone it would be using Bluetooth to connect to your head unit for Phone functions,you may have to go into your Iphone settings & make some changes. I have the bluetooth on my Ipod touch turned off,did try it, it will work all ok,but I have a seperate Nokia phone that is using the bluetooth connection & I think you can only use one Bluetooth device connection at a time,but does not seem to have any problems when the phone gets an incoming call the Ipod goes quite so you can receive the call. May be another thing you can try is after you select Ipod music wait a bit longer the phone may have to search to find your music tracks, I have noticed that some times when you select Ipod music it has taken two or three minutes there is a mention of that in your head unit instruction book. Hope some of this may help.CHEERS ;)
berniecam

USB-Ipod cable 2012 SR5

Postby NimrodAUS on Mon, 23 Jul 2012 1:59 +0000

berniecam wrote:
NimrodAUS wrote:I haven't had much of a play but how do I get it to work my iPhone as an ipod with USB cable and charge it. I got it to charge once but it keeps wanting to bluetooth it and when I pressed iPod no sound but it was playing :( however if I went to Bluetooth there was sounds but I can't get to albums from that option

Hi"NimrodAUS" I would have thought the Iphone would work the same as my Ipod touch mine is gen 4 64 gig connects up as soon as I plug it in just have to select Ipod option on the head unit menu it all comes up with,album ,artist, song title,color album cover, song duration,track number,basically all functions of the Ipod itself,also selectable on steering wheel buttons. One thing I found was that because I had the equaliser set to a specific sound in my Ipod it was causing some chatter in the sound output sometimes,I went to settings & turned the Ipod to flat fixed problem straight away,you can use the equaliser from the head unit to adjust to your specific requirements.When the Ipod is plugged in you also have no Ipod music controls available on it understandable because you have transferred all controls to the head unit. About your Iphone it would be using Bluetooth to connect to your head unit for Phone functions,you may have to go into your Iphone settings & make some changes. I have the bluetooth on my Ipod touch turned off,did try it, it will work all ok,but I have a seperate Nokia phone that is using the bluetooth connection & I think you can only use one Bluetooth device connection at a time,but does not seem to have any problems when the phone gets an incoming call the Ipod goes quite so you can receive the call. May be another thing you can try is after you select Ipod music wait a bit longer the phone may have to search to find your music tracks, I have noticed that some times when you select Ipod music it has taken two or three minutes there is a mention of that in your head unit instruction book. Hope some of this may help.CHEERS ;)

Hey mate, thanks for your reply. I did end up having a flick through the manual and as you said it can take a few minutes. I was just really weird what happened because I always have Bluetooth turned off and when I plugged iPhone 4 in with USB cable it turned it on. It was Definately doing some weird things but I didn't give it much time to kick In so I will have another go today. Maybe it has something to do with my phone being almost full which I need to rectify. All good. Can't wait to have days off so I can go over whole car at my leisure .
NimrodAUS

USB-Ipod cable 2012 SR5

Postby NimrodAUS on Mon, 23 Jul 2012 4:47 +0000

Got stezza working good with USB cable, will try Bluetooth tomorrow. Had a play with voice commands and nav just before. Pretty cool
NimrodAUS

USB-Ipod cable 2012 SR5

Postby NimrodAUS on Wed, 25 Jul 2012 5:18 +0000

Just a bit of an update, "fail" is the word I can use to describe USB iPod effort 3. Worked on the way home for about 45minutes then skipped song and seemed to be playing then no sound, turned of and on the stereo unplugged phone nothing. Eventually got an iPod error come up. Went back to blue tooth and worked fine. At least I could select songs from my phone while it played even so that worked out ok.
NimrodAUS

Postby BlueChan on Wed, 25 Jul 2012 9:07 +0000

I have a dedicated USB stick for the car. I loaded a bunch of music on there and on some songs the head unit would hang. I think the song's filename might have a non-alphanumeric character. Not sure if this is an issue with iPod/iPhone connections as well. The manual does state what you can have as part of the filename... I just can't be bothered checking ever file.
BlueChan

USB-Ipod cable 2012 SR5

Postby NimrodAUS on Wed, 25 Jul 2012 9:49 +0000

Yeah that's about where I'm at with it too. I was going to get one today. I think 8gb is the biggest stick it will accept
NimrodAUS

Postby BlueChan on Thu, 26 Jul 2012 2:08 +0000

I've got one of these puppies:
http://au.sandisk.com/products/usb-flas ... ash-drive/

They're tiny...

And yeah 8gb is the stated limit in the manual... Never tried anything larger.
BlueChan

USB-Ipod cable 2012 SR5

Postby NimrodAUS on Thu, 26 Jul 2012 2:51 +0000

Yeah that's what I was going to get. Haven't tried it yet but apparently the latest iOS version 5.1.1 has no dramas is been reluctant to update from 5.1 cause I Hurd of problems with battery drain. Not sure but I think it does drain quicker then 5.1 but not as bad as people have stated. Ring on iPhone 5 I say
NimrodAUS

Postby dt057 on Sun, 29 Jul 2012 5:31 +0000

guys seeing you have a 2012 hilux with media unit. maybe you have experienced this problem.

i have an issue with the volume on my iphone after connecting to head unit via bluetooth. ill list the issue in steps.

1. when iphone connects to head unit via bluetooth the music is playing to the head unit but no sound.
2. i have to turn volume up on iphone as it automatically sets itself to mute on iphone.
3. once the volume is turned up on iphone, the head unit volume works as normal.

4. after turning the car off the iphone disconnects by itself. as per normal.
5. now the iphone sets itself back to mute automatically.

now you have to manually turn volume back up or the ringer is set to mute.

have either of you noticed this issue? if so how do you overcome it.
dt057

USB-Ipod cable 2012 SR5

Postby NimrodAUS on Sun, 29 Jul 2012 8:45 +0000

Yeah mine did that but I updated to iOS 5.1.1 and everything works sweet as now.
NimrodAUS

Postby berniecam on Sun, 29 Jul 2012 5:14 +0000

Hi I am also running apple software version O.S. 5.1.1 on my Ipod Touch GEN 4 64 gig all running sweet no probs. :D
berniecam

Postby lippa88 on Fri, 10 Aug 2012 7:49 +0000

also got one of these. No problems at all..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
lippa88

Postby Litlbalt on Fri, 15 Mar 2013 6:03 +0000

was having a squiz at the manual today and it mentions Ipod connection port and AUX connection port
It also says the Ipod Connection port and tha USB cannot be used at once. I can't see an AUX port anywhere and there is only the one USB on the front.

Has anyone pulled the unit out and seen if there is some sneaky ports in the back ?

To say I am a Ruffnut is an understatement and having a USB stick or the Ipod Cable sticking out the front is screaming for me to snap stuff
Use It, Love It, Look After It !!

Forgiveness is easier than Permission !!
Litlbalt

Return to Tips & Tricks