MY12 Hilux SR5 canvas seat covers - help cleaning!

Postby Gunny on Wed, 21 Mar 2012 9:36 +0000

Hey guys,

Like the title says, they are really dirty. I got her detailed over the weekend and the guy said he didn't want to touch them as he didn't want to be held liable in case he damaged them. They are genuine toyota make.

There is weak stitching on the outer sides of the backs for the airbag. So is a machine wash harsh? The front ones have a water proofing agent in impregnated in them when you purchase them. Does anyone know what this stuff is or where to buy?

I have asked parts at Stewart Toyota Kirrawee NSW. they didn't know and the detailing department said they don't clean cars other then per-delivery.... :twisted:

Any advise would be great!
Gunny

Re: MY12 Hilux SR5 canvas seat covers - help cleaning!

Postby packeteer on Wed, 21 Mar 2012 1:11 +0000

my canvas seats had the following for cleaning instructions:
brush away any loose dirt or sand with a light brush, while the fabric is dry. If required, wash the canvas with a cold to luke-warm water and a sponge, then chamois dry and allow to air dry.
Do not apply soaps, detergents, bleaches, cleaning fluids or insecticides to the canvas as these will remove the waterproofing.
Do not machine wash
Do not allow petrol, diesel, oil, kerosene or other similar fluids to come into contact with the canvas.
Do not scrub the canvas as excessive scrubbing will remove some of the waterproofing.
2011 Dual Cab SR5 D4D manual.
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby Qwerty on Wed, 21 Mar 2012 2:08 +0000

my black ducks i just use a wet rag to wipe off muck, like sunscreens etc.

They are a solid fit, there's no way im taking them back off!
Qwerty

Postby Nick# on Sat, 26 May 2012 2:54 +0000

not sure what the hilux canvas seats are like but i normally just take them out pressure wash them.
Spray upholstery cleaner on them first then spray them and let them dry over night.
Here is some hino seats i did the other day(i brought it with the seats like that im not a pig like the guy that used to own it :D )
Nick#

Postby scrawle on Sun, 27 May 2012 4:46 +0000

brush away any loose dirt or sand with a light brush, while the fabric is dry. If required, wash the canvas with a cold to luke-warm water and a sponge, then chamois dry and allow to air dry.
Do not apply soaps, detergents, bleaches, cleaning fluids or insecticides to the canvas as these will remove the waterproofing.
Do not machine wash
Do not allow petrol, diesel, oil, kerosene or other similar fluids to come into contact with the canvas.
Do not scrub the canvas as excessive scrubbing will remove some of the waterproofing.

I followed the same instructions for my black duck seat covers but found that is hasn't really "cleaned" much. I've been thinking if the canvass is impregnated with dirt and muck a "sponge and cold water" isn't going to remove much. So I might go down the hot water soak and scrub path, then apply a waterproofing spray afterward if I could be bothered. I'd rather a clean seat cover over a waterproof one.
scrawle

Postby Bullzye on Sun, 27 May 2012 5:18 +0000

I have Tom's Tarps canvis seat covers in my ute and a truck, both have been machined wash and i can't notice any difference, also a hell of a lot cheaper than black duck.
The funniest part about you reading my signature is that by the time you read the whole thing from start to finish you only then realise there is nothing interesting in it.
Bullzye

Postby hamoyz on Sun, 27 May 2012 6:20 +0000

I havnt got canvas covers in my new ute yet but I cleaned the covers in my old one with gumption cream cleanser. Came up like new!
hamoyz

Postby scrawle on Mon, 28 May 2012 3:30 +0000

I have Tom's Tarps canvis seat covers in my ute and a truck, both have been machined wash and i can't notice any difference, also a hell of a lot cheaper than black duck.

Do the tom's tarp seat covers cater for the side airbag to deploy? Something to consider.......

I agree the black ducks are bloody expensive!
scrawle

Postby stringer on Mon, 28 May 2012 7:27 +0000

What does everyone think of MSA seat covers. We have black duck on our work rigs and they cop a fogging but not that comfortable for long periods.
Both are pricey but I figure your arse is in the seat for hours when wheelin get the best you can afford.
Much like bog roll I guess LOL
stringer

Postby qldminer on Tue, 10 May 2016 4:10 +0000

hamoyz wrote:I havnt got canvas covers in my new ute yet but I cleaned the covers in my old one with gumption cream cleanser. Came up like new!

would i be fair to assume then that the dirt you see on the covers is actually just sitting on the top, and not deeply penetrated?.

mine are filthy!, but last time i put a set of canvas seat covers in the washing machine its ruined them (all blotchy and patchy in color)
qldminer

Return to Tips & Tricks