Electrically disconnecting the front Diff - ADD models only

Re: Electrically disconnecting the front diff - SR5 only

Postby DCDAD on Sun, 21 Jun 2015 10:18 +0000

Hi guys newbie here ( be Gentle, lol) can anyone tell me if the 2012 SR5 petrol/Auto has this ADD capability? ( its the model i am looking for at the moment )
DCDAD

Postby packeteer on Mon, 22 Jun 2015 5:35 +0000

sr5 does have the add

ps. welcome to the club
2011 Dual Cab SR5 D4D manual.
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby SR5 2NV on Fri, 18 Sep 2015 6:43 +0000

Has anyone got the push button switch lights to work
SR5 2NV

Postby TOYZX on Fri, 18 Sep 2015 6:59 +0000

Not sure what ya asking but I have a light up rocker switch to disengage mine.
TOYZX

Postby SR5 2NV on Fri, 18 Sep 2015 7:18 +0000

The air onboard switch lights
SR5 2NV

Postby TOYZX on Fri, 18 Sep 2015 7:55 +0000

I have narva ones but they are essentially the same. Wired up a changeover relay, so when ya turn the switch on it actually cuts the power to the diff.
TOYZX

Postby nosfx on Sat, 19 Sep 2015 5:46 +0000

SR5 2NV wrote:Has anyone got the push button switch lights to work

Yeah... got mine to work... also have switches installed for E lockers that will turn off when you use the 2wd low switch (lockers wont engage in 2wd low...)

I didnt do the work myself, but it involves 3 relays and the black wire off the 4wd module; can let you know the auto elec if you are interested

What I would like to work out is how you can automatically turn off the traction control when you engage the lockers without having to hold your finger on the button for several seconds... that will be up to the electricians to work out.

nosfx

Postby xychix on Sat, 28 Nov 2015 5:35 +0000

nosfx wrote:

Yeah... got mine to work... also have switches installed for E lockers that will turn off when you use the 2wd low switch (lockers wont engage in 2wd low...)

I didnt do the work myself, but it involves 3 relays and the black wire off the 4wd module; can let you know the auto elec if you are interested

What I would like to work out is how you can automatically turn off the traction control when you engage the lockers without having to hold your finger on the button for several seconds... that will be up to the electricians to work out.

Wow,

cool install! I was thinking of building a 3 way switch to control the ADD.
1 = ON
2 = ECU regulated
3 = OFF

This would allow me to:
- enable ADD now and then in 2H in order to lubricate the axles and shafts
- disable ADD in 4L making a 2L for driving with heavy trailer on tarmac

I'm certainly interested in all documentation that is available on all electrics.
In my previous 2 cars I've successfully applied usefull mods (added a 2H / 2L to kia Sorento / Added a fuel solonoid disconnecting switch as anti theft in an old transit).
xychix

Postby nicebike on Sat, 28 Nov 2015 6:50 +0000

Why you wouldn't want the E-Locker to work in 2wd low is a mystery to me. That is a wonderful combination on a boat ramp.

And no, if you use your brains, it wont stress or break anything. Just unlock when the rear is on dry surface and before you start to turn. Need to be aware that it has unlocked is all..

There is a thread about turning off the ESC/TRAC/ABS module (with appropriate warnings). Simple on/off on one wire. No need for complicated setups connecting the on/off to other functions.
nicebike

Postby xychix on Sat, 28 Nov 2015 7:17 +0000

nicebike wrote:Why you wouldn't want the E-Locker to work in 2wd low is a mystery to me. That is a wonderful combination on a boat ramp.

Front locker wouldn't be of any use. Rear locker in 2WD makes perfectly sense as long as you drive straight (up a boat ramp for example)

There is a thread about turning off the ESC/TRAC/ABS module (with appropriate warnings). Simple on/off on one wire. No need for complicated setups connecting the on/off to other functions.

Cool, will look that up! ABS can be a bugger when offroad in LOW.
xychix

Postby damohilux on Sat, 13 Feb 2016 11:29 +0000

Ive added the sr5 a.d.d diff to my sr, does anyone know how to wire it up? diagram would be helpful.
damohilux

Postby Mario_ca on Mon, 07 Mar 2016 11:52 +0000

Hey, i can use my rear locker in 2wd just because of some situations when i don´t want to apply power to all wheels because i can easily make it out of a mud puddle in 2wd.

I am still working on the disconnecting front diff so i can push trailers around tight corners in 2 low.

Just need more time :?
Mario, from the land of beer !!

Losing is not an Option !
Mario_ca

Postby angusjones8 on Tue, 08 Mar 2016 5:28 +0000

nosfx wrote:

I did this in my 14 plater sr and also used the same switch as this^^^^^^^ Very hand and I use it all the time backing trailers and when i'm spraying especially on hard surfaces.
angusjones8

Re: Electrically disconnecting the front diff

Postby xychix on Tue, 08 Mar 2016 5:49 +0000

Batman wrote:kwtruk,

No-one has done a step by step guide on it to my knowledge.

However all you need to do is.....

1, Remove the glove box and locate the 4WD ECU, located on the LHS of the glovebox and mounted on the side of a supporting metal structure of RHD vehicles. It has a green plug going into it.
2, To test you have the correct ECU disconnect the plug and then engage 4WD, with the ignition on no 4WD light should be on.
3, On the green plug there are six (6) wires coming out of it. Locate the black wire, check my shed profile and have a look at the photo of the plug and the wire in question.
4, Cut the black wire, solder two lengths of wire (a few feet long, or long enough to reach your desired switch position), one to each cut end then connect the lengths of wire to a switch to complete the circuit.
5, Fit the switch in your desired position. Replace the glovebox.
6, Hey presto you now have a manually disconnectable front differential.

Hope this helps if not them PM me and I will send you some more detailed info.

Cheers,

Steve.

Steve, would this mean if I'm in 2H and I apply 12V to the black wire I can connect ADD whilst in 2wd? That would be helpfull for a little lubrication now and then.
Or is the switch only used to prevent the ADD from closing? Wat hapens if you put it in 4H and thereafter disconnect the wire? would the light go off on the dash whilst the ADD stays on??? sounds tricky.

====================
corrections to self (and future readers). Car is negative switched. Black wire in normal position leads to a switch that grounds the wire (in transfercase), cutting the wire open will leave add open. Grounding it directly will give add closed. forward to original wire will give a decision based on gearbox.
Last edited by xychix on Mon, 14 Mar 2016 2:51 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
xychix

Postby Batman on Tue, 08 Mar 2016 7:50 +0000

xychix wrote:Steve, would this mean if I'm in 2H and I apply 12V to the black wire I can connect ADD whilst in 2wd? That would be helpfull for a little lubrication now and then.
Or is the switch only used to prevent the ADD from closing? Wat hapens if you put it in 4H and thereafter disconnect the wire? would the light go off on the dash whilst the ADD stays on??? sounds tricky.

There is no need to engage in 2WD, Image as you can see one axle is attached to the diff centre at all times, even in an open diff this connection will be enough to rotate the diff centre and lubricate everything.

If you fit the switch, and select H4 whilst in the "off" position nothing will happen other than spinning the front prop shaft.

To clarify in the main all the switch does engage/disengage the ADD. The signal for 4WD engagement is stopped from getting to the 4WD computer module, with out that signal the computer doesn't know 4WD is engaged and won't light up any 4WD indicators or engage the ADD. By selecting either L4 or H4 the ADD can be turned on and off via the ADD switch.

I hope this helps. I have now had the switch fitted since August 2008 without fault, the only issue I have had was getting stuck and forgetting to flick the switch to engage 4WD, then subsequently murdering the car to get unstuck in 2WD. :LOL: i realised as soon as I then went to move the lever from H4 to H2. Dumb mistake.
Batman

Postby xychix on Wed, 09 Mar 2016 2:21 +0000

Batman wrote:
xychix wrote:I hope this helps. I have now had the switch fitted since August 2008 without fault, the only issue I have had was getting stuck and forgetting to flick the switch to engage 4WD, then subsequently murdering the car to get unstuck in 2WD. :LOL: i realised as soon as I then went to move the lever from H4 to H2. Dumb mistake.

What if... the car is in 4H (add closed, dash light on) and you press the button (killing 12v to 4wd ecu). Wouldn't this leave the ADD in closed position even if you drive 2H (center shaft disconnected, front right axle still connected due to add motor linking the halfs together))
xychix

Postby xychix on Wed, 09 Mar 2016 2:26 +0000

Batman wrote:
xychix wrote:The signal for 4WD engagement is stopped from getting to the 4WD computer module, with out that signal the computer doesn't know 4WD is engaged and won't light up any 4WD indicators or engage the ADD. By selecting either L4 or H4 the ADD can be turned on and off via the ADD switch.

so 12V to 4wd-ecu means dash on + ADD close
no 12V to 4wd-ecu means dash off + ADD open

That's all it does? TRC ABS etc is done by the ecu? or does the 4WD-ECU all these things
then:

12V to 4wd-ecu means dash on + ADD close & ABS / VSC? / TRC off
no 12V to 4wd-ecu means dash off + ADD open & ABS / VSC / TRC on

I'll also grab the Electrical Wiring Diagram myself :) thanks for all the info, just trying to really understand stuff before cutting in a 4 weeks old new hilux :evil: :evil: :evil:
xychix

Postby xychix on Wed, 09 Mar 2016 2:43 +0000

nosfx wrote:

where did you have that switch from! exactly the text / icon needed :) 2WD LOW

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Push-switch- ... 1670618971

gotcha! now lets see if they ship to Europe.
They won't... is there anyone that would send me one? drop me a PM :) full toyota Electrical Wiring Diagram in return :P to be found here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26499 :roll: :roll: :roll:
xychix

Postby nicebike on Wed, 09 Mar 2016 5:17 +0000

Why on earth would you want to block out the rear locker in 2wd low ?

Brilliant option on the straight bit of the boat ramp. 2wd/low/locked is a great option to have. (Always provided that the operator uses their brain :) )
nicebike

Postby xychix on Wed, 09 Mar 2016 5:47 +0000

nicebike wrote:Why on earth would you want to block out the rear locker in 2wd low ?

Brilliant option on the straight bit of the boat ramp. 2wd/low/locked is a great option to have. (Always provided that the operator uses their brain :) )

I don't mind having the rear locker available, just looking for that cool switch ;) "2wd LOW"
I agree a locker is ok when operated carefull. (and if the dash led s still functioning!)

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/td3ewd/EN/EM ... pdf/10.pdf
this is my 4wd EWD. I'd opt for a switch (open close) in the line in series with to T3 "Transfer Indicator SW (4WD position)".
in the B (black line) to F14-6 point.

If i turn the wire to ground it will close ADD (useless due to earlier reactions )
If i turn the wire closed (original) it will react to the T3 switch (likely near gearbox??)
If i turn it open it will open ADD (2WD)

*Note this is likely exactly what others have done, it's just good fun reading schematics ;)
xychix

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks