How to clean the D4D intake and EGR sytem

Re: How to clean the D4D intake and EGR sytem

Postby ltol0403 on Thu, 12 Jun 2014 10:48 +0000

Hi all first time post.. Just wondering if anyone could recommend someone to clean out my egr system and intake manifold? And an approximate cost of the job. Thanks in advanced
P.s I'm located in western suburbs in melbourne
ltol0403

Postby James84 on Tue, 17 Jun 2014 3:10 +0000

I had a go at cleaning mine today, glad I did!
The throttle body and elbow to intake manifold had a good lining of sludge.
Took some time to clean it off. I really need to take the manifold off, as that had a heap of shit in it too, but it looked like too much work, so I cleaned as much as I could.
Took it for a spin and all was good, acceleration picked up a bit, which was what I hoped.
While I was at it today I checked the SCV, which was in good nick and installed a Fuel Manager pre filter.
Also ran a can of Threebond intake cleaner for good measure.
2008 Hilux DC Ute 3ltr D4D Auto.

http://www.jamesruff.net
James84

Postby AdamHC on Thu, 03 Jul 2014 1:42 +0000

Has anyone had experience with mechanics hooking it up to a machine which flushes the egr and manifold with a chemical? They use a chemical manufactured by "BG" which is for diesels. He reckons they hook your car up to a machine which injects the chemical slowly and the soot end up in your oil and gets blown out the tail pipe as well. And they they have to do an oil change to get rid of the soot. $400 to have them do it plus $100 for the oil/filter.

I'd prefer to have it pulled apart and cleaned but I'm not confident enough really :oops:
AdamHC

Postby elgrigz on Thu, 03 Jul 2014 3:43 +0000

Awesome write up steveb.
elgrigz

Postby James84 on Sat, 19 Jul 2014 6:05 +0000

Would there be any issue with pressure washing the manifold or putting it in a hot was tank to clean it?
2008 Hilux DC Ute 3ltr D4D Auto.

http://www.jamesruff.net
James84

Postby mattwhite on Sat, 19 Jul 2014 7:00 +0000

AdamHC wrote:Has anyone had experience with mechanics hooking it up to a machine which flushes the egr and manifold with a chemical? They use a chemical manufactured by "BG" which is for diesels. He reckons they hook your car up to a machine which injects the chemical slowly and the soot end up in your oil and gets blown out the tail pipe as well. And they they have to do an oil change to get rid of the soot. $400 to have them do it plus $100 for the oil/filter.

I'd prefer to have it pulled apart and cleaned but I'm not confident enough really :oops:

No but I'd be wary. Like you, I prefer to pull it off and get it out of there.

James84 wrote:Would there be any issue with pressure washing the manifold or putting it in a hot was tank to clean it?

No, as long as all the little bits and pieces like vacuum solenoids are stripped off first.
mattwhite

Postby Niko720 on Sun, 03 Aug 2014 3:26 +0000

Rich wrote:Well I tried this today, got as far as pulling off the intercooler and inspecting the throttle body. It was clean as a whistle, so I didn't go any further - Partly because the photos were a lot different to my 2005 D4D diesel engine. The main componenents were roughly in the same spot, but all the tubing, vacuum tubes and electrical plugs etc are all in different spots, which made it hard to follow the instructions.

Anyone else found this?

If the throttle body is clean, is it safe to assume the rest is?

Rich.
G'day guys new to this site seems like the owners know more than the dealers
I'm chasing any info possible I have 2 extra cab 2006 model diesels both have shit them selves
The problem I have with first one is smokey on start up but seems like it is only firing on 3 cylinders motor shakes on idle ,I've tried swapping 1&2 injectors to see if injectors are stuffed no difference still when you pull of the electrics to injector 1 no difference I'm suspect that it has stuffed cylinder,only done 145000 ams
Any suggestions to try ????????????
My main beast I bought from a guy who recently had new motor rebuild ,
I was driving along just died on me I've checked with an injector pulsator at injectors they have no power to them I've also cracked the outlet of the pump to see if any pressure seems like a dribble ive putscan tool on and no errors come up but it does show no fuel pressure
Has anyone had this problem and rectified it ,I'm going to buy a injector modual and second hand pump
I was going to try swap with my first one but have different electrical fittings
I wish I had kept my original 2004 sr5 never let me down
These diesels suck had Kota ing but trouble toyota themselves are lying bastards and have really let the Toyota hilux down they look good done up but cost thousands to fix because they won't admit to there own stuff up should have a recall on all built since 2005
Niko720

Postby jertle on Tue, 05 Aug 2014 2:32 +0000

Probably a real stupid question what what is the sensor if the first picture labelled No. 1 like the MAF sensor does it need a clean regularly
jertle

Postby Talktheroo on Sun, 17 Aug 2014 10:35 +0000

jertle wrote:Probably a real stupid question what what is the sensor if the first picture labelled No. 1 like the MAF sensor does it need a clean regularly

Yes, the MAF sensor should be cleaned with MAP sensor cleaner regularly. At least checked, say, every 10,000kms.

Here is another customer's of mine, dirty EGR system.

Cleaned EGR sytem.

Clean EGR valve.

Don't forget to clean the bottom of the piston, EGR valve.

All the parts ready to be torqued back on. 20Nms for the three bolts for the elbow, and 13Nms for the two 10mm bolts on the bottom of the EGR valve going on the EGR cooler. Early models with just the pipe, same, 13Nms, 2005 models.

Ready to back on this engine, with new injectors and injector pipes.
The Roo.
Passing through country and seeing country are two different things.
Talktheroo

Postby Sammons33 on Fri, 12 Sep 2014 3:14 +0000

Hi Steveb

Fantastic write up mate. I followed your guide and had it done within the day.
I still face one problem though, the engine light keeps coming on with a P0400 code "Exhaust Gas Recirculation A flow". Ive cleaned the entire EGR system but this code has recently popped up again. Do you reckon it could be a clogged vacuum hose, faulty heat sensor and or wire harness?

Much appreciated and again a great write up.

Cheers
Sammons33

Postby fourby4diesel on Fri, 12 Sep 2014 7:32 +0000

P0400/71

DTC Detection Condition

Open or short is detected in the EGR valve position sensor circuit.

Trouble Area

EGR valve stuck
 EGR valve does not move smoothly
 Open or short in E–VRV for EGR circuit
 Open or short in EGR valve position sensor circuit
EGR valve position sensor
 Vacuum pump
 Vacuum hose connection loose
 ECM
New DENSO Injectors are the go! New genuine parts.
Cheers, Anth - Technician - 1KD-FTV

Check your injectors about every 10,000k.
WARNING check oil pickup screen is clear
no chips no tune ups - why increase risk of piston cracking?
fourby4diesel

Postby fourby4diesel on Fri, 12 Sep 2014 7:35 +0000

Check vacuum hoses.
New DENSO Injectors are the go! New genuine parts.
Cheers, Anth - Technician - 1KD-FTV

Check your injectors about every 10,000k.
WARNING check oil pickup screen is clear
no chips no tune ups - why increase risk of piston cracking?
fourby4diesel

Postby Luxi46 on Fri, 12 Sep 2014 9:23 +0000

Or clean your MAP filter and lines leading up to the filter and sensor. Also check the filter housing for cracks. The MAP sensor monitors EGR flow.
Cheers,
Marvin
Luxi46
Platinum Subscriber

Postby barcrusher1968 on Sun, 16 Nov 2014 4:49 +0000

awesome post
barcrusher1968

Postby boxhead55 on Sun, 16 Nov 2014 5:21 +0000

I have recently replaces lots of the egr position sensors. They do brake which throws this code. They are about 120 bucks from toyota. Easy way to check is remove it from the top of the egr and use a multi meter and check the ohms when moving. It should have a smooth curve with no eratic jumps. If the ohms jump all over the shop the sensor is no good and requires replacment
boxhead55

Postby thermos on Thu, 11 Dec 2014 6:47 +0000

Great guide.

I take it that the worst case is the washers can drop on the floor rather than somewhere in the engine (never to be found again)?!?

"At the rear of the cylinder head the return pipe is attached using a banjo connection with a 12mm head. Loosen the banjo bolt being careful not fully remove the bolt from the pipe otherwise the sealing washers may drop out"
thermos

EGR cooler cleaning

Postby thermos on Tue, 16 Dec 2014 10:02 +0000

Hi,

I have owned this 2008 Hilux with 229k for around 6 weeks now.

After receiving a P0400 error, I spent last Saturday cleaning the EGR system. However the EGR Lift Sensor Volt % remains constant (13.2%, 0% when unplugged) despite testing the sensors and the error has come back. Talking to the local Toyota foreman, his thought was the EGR cooler was blocked and needed cleaning/or replacement.

Unfortunately, I didn't clean the EGR cooler as I was trying to avoid taking the injection lines off etc.
In order to take the EGR cooler, do I need to disassemble what I did last week or are there any shortcuts in order to just remove the cooler (and give it a good clean with throttle body cleaner)?

Any assistance/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Thermos
thermos

Re: EGR cooler cleaning

Postby Kizzzaaa on Wed, 17 Dec 2014 12:14 +0000

How far did you get "last Saturday"?
Kizzzaaa

Re: EGR cooler cleaning

Postby Luxi46 on Wed, 17 Dec 2014 2:58 +0000

thermos wrote:After receiving a P0400 error, I spent last Saturday cleaning the EGR system. However the EGR Lift Sensor Volt % remains constant (13.2%, 0% when unplugged) despite testing the sensors and the error has come back. Talking to the local Toyota foreman, his thought was the EGR cooler was blocked and needed cleaning/or replacement.

I agree with the foreman on this, most likely it's just blocked. EGR flow is monitored constantly. With moderate blockage, the ECU will try to compensate, by closing the throttle valve a fraction. If it senses a severe to complete blockage it will just close off EGR valve completely (lift sensor around 14%).

thermos wrote:Unfortunately, I didn't clean the EGR cooler as I was trying to avoid taking the injection lines off etc.
In order to take the EGR cooler, do I need to disassemble what I did last week or are there any shortcuts in order to just remove the cooler (and give it a good clean with throttle body cleaner)?

No shortcuts I'm afraid. The injection lines have to come off. They can be re-used, so no need to be worried. Just torque them properly. So get yourself a torque wrench, 17mm crowfoot spanner and those silicone rubber caps to plug the common rail outlets and the injectors.

Let this be a lesson, do it right the first time out :lol:
Last edited by Luxi46 on Wed, 17 Dec 2014 8:42 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Marvin
Luxi46
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Rocket55 on Wed, 17 Dec 2014 3:42 +0000

Threads merged.
Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Bitumen ...... another waste of public funds
Rocket55

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks