plumbing air con into engine air box

Re: plumbing air con into engine air box

Postby outbackjoe on Mon, 06 Jan 2014 11:58 +0000

An engine will spin up to say 2000rpm without much extra fuel since it only has to overcome the friction of the engine. Different story when actually under load at the same rpm. When actually accelerating the vehicle the system will fail to keep up at a much lower rpm, perhaps even from idle.

The Ford solution gives me the impression that the air con won't make much difference in real time. That's why they needed a cold resoviour to accumulate the cold. Sounds like a bit of a cumbersome way to make more power. Average power is reduced since it's wasted on the air con. Loose power for a few minutes charging it up then recover less than the power you put in for a short period. Good for drag racing.
outbackjoe

Postby outbackjoe on Mon, 06 Jan 2014 12:02 +0000

Whoops double post.
outbackjoe

Postby jimmi on Mon, 06 Jan 2014 2:28 +0000

the 5.4L had a supercharger and bypass valve (plumb back), so when the truck was coasting there was no boost, no boost = no heat, means the super cool setup goes into recovery (cooling mode), you get on the gas n the system reverses, it takes the super cool setup, 2 mins to cool, giving 1 min of acceleration, so not so good around city, but hwy driving, i think was getting euro 3. some guys with the svt lightings, ran larger coolant reservoirs to get the most out of them, some even ran NO2 to cool them even more. this system is the predecessor to the ice to air intercooler
jimmi

Postby martynvella on Thu, 06 Feb 2014 5:06 +0000

Now I have seen everything. What is your interpretation of ice cold? Have you ever put a vent temp thermometer in your ac vent with it on fresh air and your doors open, I doubt you have. If your lucky it might get down to 15 degrees on a warm day.

In theory it will make a difference but not as much as you will lose to run the compressor, just turn off the ac, you will gain more power and not wear out your compressor.

Maybe you should see if you can get one of Peter Brocks fuel polarisers, they made a difference inside peoples head too lol.
martynvella

Postby BNA on Thu, 06 Feb 2014 12:22 +0000

Just a thought..

A turbo can suck a plastic or rubber hose closed easily under boost. So i would be worried about over spinning the aircon fan or damaging some other part in there.. Just cause that stuff is never cheap...

Maybe separate the airbox with some heat shielding to try and drop the intake temps? Test the air temps before and after to see if it is gonna make any real difference.
BNA

Postby Dwight on Thu, 06 Feb 2014 3:16 +0000

There was a test completed on a HQ holden believe it or not, and no noticeable benefits came from doing this.
Shaker boxes are used in extreme cases but this is top end drag racing and is old tech.

Hope this gives some more room for thought..
Dwight

Postby wade_b on Thu, 06 Feb 2014 4:45 +0000

love reading things like this its a wonder how some people's minds work. but anyone that does give it a go or has already done it get that thing on a dyno to show us how much power you get from it or how much it takes away.
wade_b

Postby goons on Fri, 07 Feb 2014 1:37 +0000

Haha this is the funniest thread I've read on this forum.

Somebody copy and paste it all into the Friday funny's section, it is Friday after all. Lol
goons

Previous

Return to Tips & Tricks