How to Rebuild an ARB compressor. WIP

How to Rebuild an ARB compressor. WIP

Postby Skog07 on Wed, 28 Aug 2013 11:37 +0000

How to Rebuild an ARB compressor.
Disassembly process.
Important safety notes:
Wear safety goggles and discharge accumulator on the compressor using tyre deflator or other method to relieve pressure in unit.
Step 1: See photo above. Witness mark one end of the frame of the motor to aid in reassembly.
Step 2: See photo above. Remove 3off X 10mm head bolts (marked A), bracket holding receiver along with the receiver will disassemble. Be careful to not lose or damage the seals.
Step 3. Unbolt and remove 2 off end cap bolts (marked B). Compressor and brush ends can be removed from the frame of the motor.
Step 4. See Above. Armature can be removed from frame for inspection.
Belvere washer marked A above.
Step 5. (Optional) See Above. Remove all Phillips head screws from brush end and remove brush assembly from end cap. Ensure that you do not lose the Belvere washer that is located in bearing end.
Step 6: See above. Clean armature and brush assembly with contact cleaner. Inspect armature, stator brushes and bearings for wear. Armature is marked A and brush assembly B
Step 7: See above. Place brush end cap in Vice (marked B) Using Phillips screws re assemble brush pack back into bearing cap (marked A).
A= brush pushed back: B brush still forward position
Ready for stator and armature to be dropped back into cap.
A= brushes pushed back B= Belvere washer installed into bearing cap
Step 8: See above. Push bushes back until they lock into back postion and make sure that Belver washer is inserted back into bottom of bearing cap.
Step 9: See above. A= motor frame, B= armature.
Insert armature back into frame of the motor. The magnetic field will drag the armature back into the frame. Ensure that it is re assembled to correspond to the witness marks. (ie. Piston end has crankshaft poking out and not stator.)
Step 10: Lower assembled armature and motor frame down onto bearing cap. Make sure that O ring is in and alignment mark are clocked correctly. Insert a small wedge so that it maintains a 3-5mm gap between the faces.
A= Exposed brush, B= Gap between faces, C= alignment lug, D= O ring
Step 11. Using a small screwdriver or rod, push the back of the brush A (Exposed brush) with light pressure to get it to click back onto the stator. You will hear a small click as the brush snaps back on to the stator. Make sure that you do both brushes. Once both brushes have been snapped back onto the stator, remove the wedge and allow the frame to rest back onto the O ring. You will have to start back again at Step8 if the frame and armature drop off the brushes on the Stator.
(pic to be added)
Step 12. See above.Remove intake filter and adaptor plate from the compressor section of the motor
Step 13. Apply a small dob of grease to the big end bearing and running surface on end of crankshaft.
Step 14: Carefully align conrod back (marked A) onto bigend (marked B) and lightly push back together.
Step 15: See above. Insert long frame bolts back through brush end and tighten (marked B). Carefully install receiver tube, bracket and bolts (marked A). Tighten carefully to not pinch seals.
(pic to be added)
Step 16: Re assemble adaptor plate and filter back on compressor end.
Step 17: Connect compressor to 12v DC and see if it operates. If it doesn’t you may not have clicked in a brush properly or forgotten to do Step 11. To rectify this remove all 5 bolts on the back of the bearing/ brush cap and try to pull it back to expose the brushes again. With a small screw driver click the brushes back onto the stator. You may have to disassemble and start again back at Step 7 if the brushes pop off the stator.
Skog07

Re: How to Rebuild an ARB compressor. WIP

Postby helmut79 on Thu, 29 Aug 2013 5:17 +0000

Nice work Skog
Mick
FCCW

“This is anger management......I’m channelling it into something and then I destroy it!”

My Build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6869

New Member Sandpit viewforum.php?f=83
helmut79

Postby 07luxyTD on Thu, 29 Aug 2013 7:54 +0000

Good stuff Mark. Whats the maintainence life of these? Ive noticed they get extremly hot
"Lucky you weren't cut off by my stihl"

My build thread viewtopic.php?f=41&t=13794
My Landcruiser Build http://www.newlandcruiser.net/phpbb/vie ... 90&start=0
07luxyTD

Postby Rocket55 on Thu, 29 Aug 2013 10:02 +0000

Nice write up Mark. :D
Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Bitumen ...... another waste of public funds
Rocket55

Postby Skog07 on Thu, 29 Aug 2013 11:57 +0000

07luxyTD wrote:Good stuff Mark. Whats the maintainence life of these? Ive noticed they get extremly hot

Mine melted the wiring back from the relay back to the main connector that supplies the power to the compressor. Looks as though it suffered a hot joint in the plastic connector which destroyed the insulation on the relay side of the wiring. The compressor side of the connector is made from Silicon insulation along with the wiring and still remains intact despite the extreme temp from the hot joint. I did find a broken copper winding on the armature, with a bit of magnification on the pic of the armature you can see it. The compressor still seems to work ok despite the broken winding???
I'm guessing though that the compressor has overheated for extended periods of time as it has been smothered in a mix of diff oil and thick dust that will hold the temp in..
I'm looking into running the existing solenoid down closer to the diff and teeing in the exhaust port of the solenoid into the diff breather to avoid having diff oil pumped up to the compressor in the engine bay. I've also found having such a long pressurised line down to the diff actuator in the locker the friction of the oil in the small diameter tube hinders the activation of the locker itself and creates an extensive delay to get the locker to activate.
Skog07

Postby dute on Fri, 30 Aug 2013 4:17 +0000

Very well done Skog. So when do I drop mine off for a rebuild. ;)
FCCW

inside Dute's black hole

"Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill"
dute

Postby Steve9R on Fri, 30 Aug 2013 8:35 +0000

Mine died a few years ago.. the hex keyed bolt that holds the piston sheared off, which apparently is a common problem..

i replaced it with a high tensile one, and no more issues..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby Skog07 on Fri, 25 Oct 2013 9:50 +0000

Been having a lot of problems with my ARB air locker slowly pumping diff oil up the air supply line to the compressor under the bonnet. The result is a mess of diff oil and dust to top of the guard. Its been driving me mad, it also hinders the operation of the locker as there is so much internal resistance with the oil in such a small line it can take up to 5 minutes for the locker to engage once activated.
The mess...
Bracket fabricated to hold solenoid.
Fittings from Festo a M5-8mm push on tube connector and a Y fitting.
Alloy bracket attached to LSPV holding solenoid.
Close up of solenoid valve on LSPV. Existing diff breather shown in Blue tube, exhaust port of solenoid in Black tube and pressurised line for air locker blue small tube.
The black tube follows the diff breather back down to the diff where using a Y joiner is spliced into the original diff breather.
The theory is the solenoid is nice and close to the diff now so there should be far less resistance inside the line and hopefully speed up activation. The diff oil itself pushed up the line by the locker should make its way back to the diff so no more mess. I can see one drawback with this method, when you de activate the locker you will get a spike in the pressure inside the diff as the exhaust air from the solenoid goes down to the diff. The breather itself should have enough flow to not have a too significant increase in pressure inside the diff hopefully. If not will look at making a ventilated catch can with drain back to the diff to get rid of the oil.
Cheers
Mark
Skog07

Postby DeadlyBeast on Sat, 26 Oct 2013 7:36 +0000

Looks like a neat bit of work Mark. Let us know how it works out.
DeadlyBeast

Postby Skog07 on Sat, 26 Oct 2013 3:43 +0000

Ran the new airline and extended solenoid wiring down this arvo Steve in a corregated flexible conduit from the compressor. Will upload some photos later. Works an absolute treat, jacked the vehicle up on the diff in neutral, handbrake off without the locker engaged the opposite wheel counter rotates like normal, flick the locker switch and instantly the splines lock and both wheels spin in the same direction... :)
Degreased the engine bay this arvo as well, forgot how clean it looks in there almost looks new. :lol: :lol:
Skog07

Postby DeadlyBeast on Sat, 26 Oct 2013 9:51 +0000

Brilliant!
Watch out - might be requests for another Skog-special airline/solenoid kit ... ;)
DeadlyBeast

Return to Tips & Tricks