2009 standard recovery point confirmation

2009 standard recovery point confirmation

Postby Thumpa on Thu, 07 Mar 2013 10:23 +0000

Hi all

I have read so much about recovery points ect that i just want some confirmation im ok in my plans with my standard points

Front recovery- attach 1 3.2t bow shackle to each toyota standard point, use an extention strap or tree trunk protector to join and use the snatch strap off that.

Rear- I have a standard Toyota tow bar. I have 4.7t bow shackle. Can i remove the tow ball and place the bow shackle through the hole, or remove the hitch and attach the strap through the pin.......will this be ok with the toyota Standard set up/pin/hitch etc

I have just puchased the Just Straps Recovery Kit and plan on my first sand dunes trip in easter.

Your ideas/advice will help thanks
Thumpa

Re: 2009 standard recovery point confirmation

Postby deffer64 on Thu, 07 Mar 2013 10:27 +0000

Cheaper to go buy the hitch reciever for safety sake with a bow shackle in them about $50.00 they are for the rear and i like you use a strap between the 2 front points. Hope it helps :)
deffer64

Postby Bushbound on Thu, 07 Mar 2013 2:33 +0000

The 2 things on the front of your chassis aren't Recovery Points, they're Transport Tie Down Points and never designed for recovery. They're designed to hold the vehicle on the deck of a ship or truck and will fail when used for recovery as the forces in a recovery will far exceed their design limits. This can have catastropic results if they tear off and shackles, slings and snatch strap fly into the vehicle towing you - same applies to toe balls, a number of people have been killed by them.
Buy yourself a set of recovery points, they should be bolted through the chassis in 3 points, with high tensile bolts.
Geoff
Danger is natures way of eliminating stupid people.
Bushbound

Postby 2007Lux on Thu, 07 Mar 2013 3:15 +0000

Also if dunes is your destination all you'll need is Max Trax (1 set of 2) and a shovel. In all my beach/dune driving experience I have only been snatched once and that was because I wanted to show my mate how to do it. Also as mentioned by deffer64 for the rear you need this snatch block because if you bend that pin you'll have a lot of fun getting it out. Another tip is to have two snatch straps because sometimes the snatching vehicles can't get close enough to snatch you without getting bogged itself. To join two snatch straps togther thread the eye of one with the other and back through the other end of the strap as you want to avoid using anymore shackles than you need to. When doing this hitch put a piece of 3/4 inch (approx) dowel in there so you can unhitch them after the snatch, just google this and I'm sure you'll find some pictures.

This is the time I was snatched backwards by a nivarra :( but as I said it was just to show the guy in the other car how to do it. The green car used a bridle on it's front recovery points which was threaded throught the snatch strap.
"of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most"
2007Lux

Postby mow44u on Thu, 07 Mar 2013 4:56 +0000

Bushbound wrote:The 2 things on the front of your chassis aren't Recovery Points, they're Transport Tie Down Points and never designed for recovery. They're designed to hold the vehicle on the deck of a ship or truck and will fail when used for recovery as the forces in a recovery will far exceed their design limits. This can have catastropic results if they tear off and shackles, slings and snatch strap fly into the vehicle towing you - same applies to toe balls, a number of people have been killed by them.
Buy yourself a set of recovery points, they should be bolted through the chassis in 3 points, with high tensile bolts.
Geoff

Yeah every one says that they are not recovery points, but the reality is 1000's of hilux owners all over Ausstralia use them in recovey situations and so far I havent heard of any issues. I use them with a strap between the two and have never had an issue with them. Several of my mates (8) all have new shape hilux's, and we have had every different type of recovery situtaion thown at them, and so far, no issues.....

Technically they are not a rated recovery point and more than likely Toyota says this to cover their arse in the event of that something goes wrong. If you look at the construction of the recovery points, the welds and the storys from people who have battled to cut them off..... Im satisifed that untill I hear of one failing... I will continue to use them as a recovery point.

For the rear, I take the tow ball off and put a Bow shackle through the tow bar. Ive heard of people bending the pin when a strap it just put through it...

*The loops pointing down are tie down points, the ones pointing forward are used in recoverys.
mow44u

Postby mut59 on Sun, 28 Apr 2013 7:13 +0000

I have seen the ARB recovery bolt on units which replace a part of the chassis but you cant use these with the Buds bash plates. Can anyone tell mw where the other types bolt to? And has anyone heard of the welded loops coming adrift at all? These tie down points are far more substantial than the 2mm steel things bolted on to a mates new BT50. Anyone trying to recover from those would be asking for trouble. Also does anyone know if there is a specific bridle or equalising strap available to attach to both points?
06 SR dual Cab.
mut59

Postby cooper92 on Sun, 28 Apr 2013 8:47 +0000

Dont think they make anything for that purpose exactly but a tree trunk protector will do the trick.
Iv seen and done quite a few recoveries off front points and never had a drama they are not going anywhere the way they are welded in my opinion.
Cheers Cooper.

Ute Build
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=17165
Custom Tray Build
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=16756
cooper92

Postby SRD4D on Sun, 28 Apr 2013 9:41 +0000

yep,+1 for standard toyota tie down points as recovery points,you would struggle to sheer those welds from the chassis to the 16mm or so round bar.
Facebook ..........The Australian toyota hilux 4WD group https://www.facebook.com/groups/296534054022895/
SRD4D

Postby mut59 on Tue, 30 Apr 2013 9:31 +0000

Thanks, that was my thoughts on the welded tie downs. They certainly look solid and would take a fair bit to rip them off, especially if you share the load between the 2 of them.
06 SR dual Cab.
mut59

Postby Blackie2008 on Sat, 06 Jul 2013 6:20 +0000

mut59 wrote:I have seen the ARB recovery bolt on units which replace a part of the chassis but you cant use these with the Buds bash plates. Can anyone tell mw where the other types bolt to? And has anyone heard of the welded loops coming adrift at all? These tie down points are far more substantial than the 2mm steel things bolted on to a mates new BT50. Anyone trying to recover from those would be asking for trouble. Also does anyone know if there is a specific bridle or equalising strap available to attach to both points?

Yep, I've got one. I'll put up a pic later this morning.
I skull dragged an 80series off a rut last week that took a few good goes and no dramas.
My concern now is the forces pushing the two chassis rails together when pulling between the two tie down points. I'm not sure if there's a chassis brace up the front like there is in the Patrols.
Dan.

08' SR5 Dual Cab, Manual, Prado brake upgrade, 33" KM2's, DMS MR Rekon Stage II, MMKD, Stage 2 GTurbo, HPD FMIC, NPC Clutch, 360 UHD Gearbox...

Built, not bought

Build thread: http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic ... 41&t=15092
Blackie2008

Postby dute on Sat, 06 Jul 2013 6:41 +0000

FCCW

inside Dute's black hole

"Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill"
dute

Return to Tips & Tricks